Traumatised' victims of 777 accident to sue BA

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

In large cities here, when there's an accident involving a city bus, people will climb aboard and claim to have been there during the accident, hoping for compensation. Surviving an accident of any kind today seems to be viewed as something like winning the lottery.

Some companies in cases like that have found it more economical to just pay a settlement and get the claimants to sign off rather than risk going to court to defend themselves. It's cheaper for them, though that encourages the chiseling to continue.

I hope BA is not held accountable for any of this - the air crew appears to have done a masterful job. It won't end with them, however. The lawsuits will name Boeing, Rolls Royce, the airport authority and the CAA (correct term?), at least, though the latter two may have legal immunity in the UK. They might also take a shot at whoever supplied the fuel, though I'd guess litigating that and collecting anything there would be a long shot at best.

Emotional trauma has replaced difficult-to-diagnose (read diffictult-to-disprove) back and neck injuries as the injury de jour for lawsuits, probably because the lawyers don't have to split the take with shyster "expert witness" physicians who are paid to testify for the plaintiffs. In the case of "emotional trauma", the lawyer only has to have the plaintiff blubber and sob on the witness stand, all for free.

Juries sometimes make "sympathy awards", and the companies that are perceived to have deep pockets become the victims, even when there is nothing they could reasonably have done to foresee or avoid the incident.

I wonder how much of the price of an airline ticket is due to legal liability?

John

There is no point in sueing them, certainly not yet anyway. Until the CAA work out what happened, nobody will be held responcible.

Although we all know the odds are so slim, but this is a risk you take when you climb onboard an aircraft.

Either way, its a sign of things to come. Before we are in the far distant future, people will be sueing ford when thier car looses control and ends up in a ditch.

Either way, its a sign of things to come. Before we are in the far distant future, people will be sueing ford when thier car looses control and ends up in a ditch.

I'm afraid that sort of stuff is already happening mate, I've heard of much worse stuff than that unfortunately. :neutral:

Oh boy, I can understand that!

and :clap: to the forum Bomber_H or should I call you Mr Harris!

It's great to have you on board and you enjoy Mutley's and don't be shy :thumb:

Cheers,

Mut