Global warming continues.....

Danmarkshavn (BGDH), Greenland's most northerly airfield, was closed yesterday (5th February 2008) after a freak hailstorm which left giant hail-stones littering the runway.

Gianthailstonesblockrunway.jpg

U.S. scientists say that this is yet another pointer to the devastating effects of global warming. More information at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/feb/05/climatechange

Take care, lads!

Cheers - Dai. :mrhappy:

Dai,

Interesting... I think you may have been mislead by someone.

The linked article contains the exact photo in your post, but without the yellow line, and with a very different caption. Hmmm.

Looking at the sprout of vegetation in the right side of the photo for scale, that's the narrowest taxiway line I've ever seen. They must have made it with a yellow felt tip marker. ...or is this meant to make the "hailstones" seem to be gigantic.

I'm not willing to believe that is a photo of Greenland's most northerly airport taken in February with not a speck of ice and snow in sight except the remarkable alleged hailstones.

I don't know what it is, or when it is, or where it is, but I'm reasonably certain it is not an airfield in northern Greenland yesterday. The snow there this time of year must be meters deep.

I mean no disrespect to you, but I think you may have stumbled on some blatant propaganda here.

John

Well. Global Warming. This darn debate!

The recent MET office recording of the worlds mean temperature show that the temp is now actually falling. So the speculation of climate change may just be a "blip" in the earths temperature.

I could go on forever about the G.W thing, but anyhow, it is just one of those things!

Well they may not be thick!

Just recent MET office official recordings showed a drop in mean global temperatures!

Nothing more nothing less..

My physics teacher told me this, as he has a degree in bloody everything, 5 degrees in all, and now an A level teacher?

Baffles me.

Anyway, sorry about the tangent, but yeah, im just stating a fact :eyebrow:

just staying on this tangent a moment longer, if we may, i also think that this global warming theory is a little out of hand now, and its being hyped beyond the scientific fact. That's only my opinion, but having an a-level and foundation degree in 'Geography & Environmental Science' and having studied this topic in some rather large detail (if that's what you could call a 15,000 word paper...) i like to think i have a little knowledge of what's going on, but i'm certainly not an authority and never will be.

when we studied GW at college and Uni, i remember always going back to using some sources dating back to some 200 years ago! Each and every source of information we could get was never 100% accurate, however the general findings were that the Earth's temperature rose and fell consistently over relatively short periods (50 or so years apart) over the past 750,000 years... bonkers hey, well check this graph out (courtesy of WikiPedia)...

Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

yeah, ok i'll grant you that there is a significant increase in temperatures since around the 1950's, but if you study carefully, the temperatures do drop and rise consistently through from the 1800's. Also, here's another graph showing global temperatures rising/falling for the past 550Million years!?!...(note - click the image to see what it actually means)

Phanerozoic_Climate_Change_Rev.png

sort of makes you think twice about all of the hype, doesn't it?

now i could go on and on about this, but i wont. I'll agree that humans do have some impact on temperature rises of recent, however we're not the sole cause of it. But thats enough from me, instead here's a (longish) quote from the NewStatesman magazine and you can decide for yourselves.

The fact is that the global temperature of 2007 is statistically the same as 2006 as well as every year since 2001. Global warming has, temporarily or permanently, ceased. Temperatures across the world are not increasing as they should according to the fundamental theory behind global warming
Simi,

:clap: :clap: :clap:

John

thanks john, appreciated. i just dont know why so many people are of the mind-frame that we're all going to witness the end of the world before we see our grandchildren grow up and move on. Of course for you elderly folk out there... (*ahem* no names, you know who you are :wink:) you may have already seen this, but for sake of argument lets say this to be in the next 50 or so years.

Yes, there is scientific evidence temperatures have risen, however not as we expected. Its also historical fact that temperatures have risen and fallen consitently, as my previous post illustrated. At the moment however, temperatures are steady and still we're being told that its getting hotter but our governments and that its our fault and we must pay higher taxes to help combat the effects of our actions - poppycock i say, just another excuse to squeeze even more blood from the stone!

Who knows, in the next 50 or so years we might be blamed again for FALLING temperatures and the onset of the beginnings of a new Ice Age... lets just hope we see sense and realise its all part of Mother Nature's plan for her baby Earth.

Simi. I absolutely loved your post.

Basically put into words what i would have said if i could have been bothered!

:clap: :clap:

Anyhow, seriously, i totally agree with your argument, the 550 million year graph shows exactly how the earth naturally does increase and fall in temperatures, due to glacial periods and the like.

On the second graph, it shows that we are just leaving a glacial period, suggesting that the temperature will rise naturally yet it is not going to happen perfectly, i mean we have only been here 10000years!

What do you expect!

Winds me up really :wink:

Again, lovely post Simi :clap:

But the evidence shows that global warming as such has ceased.

Yippee!!! We are all safe then, carbon dioxide is no longer a green house gas, and the huge amounts of carbon dioxide we pump into the atmosphere have suddenly become inert. It's a miracle. Quickly, we need to change the text books.

Might be an idea if you left the interpretation of the data to those that are qualified to do so. I would trust the scientific method if I were you, research is pier reviewed by all of the climate scientists for a reason. Don't think they send it to those devoid of any knowledge in this area do they?

Fluctuations are irrelevant; the long term trend is the important factor. I