I use afterburner to overclock my graphics card - that comes with a thing called RivaTuner. You can define separate settings for each application.

This has frame limiter that works well and you can also show frames on screen similar to fraps.

Not sure if internal or external makes a difference but my logic is if you can do it outside of fsx then its best.

I have my weather, traffic and frame limiter all outside fsx.

Good luck

Jim

I don't use either but in FSX the internal limiter is proven to be decremental to performance. The external limiters don't have that problem.

I don't see much use for either unless you experience stuttering while flying. 

I have a lot of settings to the right and use fps killers like external weather but performance stays pretty stable without stutters.

:twocents:

Yeah if you are not experiencing stutters then maybe not use one - I have stutters so I use one. I lock mine to 25 as my PC is old and tired - anything above that causes stuttering. 

Lots of people lock it to 30 - some talk about the human eye not being able to see frame increases above that value. I just think if your PC can handle it then have it as high as it will go without any performance degradation. If your eyes only see 30fps then you have not lost anything :)

In my experience, setting the fps slider to 'unlimited' considerably improves frame rates although fps fluctuations do increase. 

One major cause of rapid fps fluctuations is an abundance of fs2004 format scenery objects in any scenery area - if you can identify these objects and convert them to fsx format objects using the freeware ModelConverterX, not only will frame-rates improve, but fps fluctuations will also be much reduced.

Incidentally, switching FSX to full screen mode results in only small increases in fps on a single screen system but can double frame rates on my two screen system when the 2nd screen blanks out. Moving a panel to the 2nd screen, e.g. the gps panel, will reduce the fps, and if the panel is increased in size to fill the whole screen then almost all of the fps gains will be lost.

Ray.

I tend to think that the answer to this is based on the way each person computer runs. I have tried different settings over time and found 40fps works best for me. Most folks like 30-35 or unlimited. They say the human eye can't see any difference above 30fps anyway. I also tend to agree with a lot of experts say that we all get too hung up on our fps, all you need is enough so that FSX doesn't stutter. Limiting internally or externally is also based on your machine, if using an external limiter helps, use one, if not, don't. Use whatever works best after testing. 

FSX is a crazy beast and individual testing is best for optimum performance across all settings. Some people do not like having to do this, considering it as one of the biggest things that is wrong with the FSX program and others, like me, enjoy it as part of just another part of the hobby. :)   

The important thing is not FPS, but to get FSX running smooth.  If your FSX runs smooth at 16FPS or 40 or unlimited, then you have got there.

Smoothness is the goal and that involves other things beside FPS.  There seems to be a fixation on FPS in the community and all the tweaking of FPS

on it's own is useless, unless you involve other small tweaks also.  The best place in the world for tweaking FSX is in the setting control panel of FSX. 

But what most forget to get running best first, is windows.  Once you have that running right all other programs will follow suit.

I installed FSX on my new machine following Nick's advice at Flight 1 in an article called "The Bible" http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

One of the best things I read about setting up hardware and software. He is still writing new chapters.

I use the internal limiter set at 30 fps (half the monitor refresh rate) and so far it runs smooth as butter never less than 29.9 fps and no stutters. I fly GA only and don't have tons of addons : UTX (Europe, Canada, Alaska) + GEX (Europe and North America) + Flight environment X + Ultimate traffic 2 set at 100% + a few freeware sceneries of where I fly and a few addon planes.

No internal limiter, no external limiter...

Lancair = 120 frames per second

PMDG 777 = 45 frame per second minimum.

No limiter at all gives me a 30% increase in frame rate.

And no stutters!

Couple the above with sensible slider settings, sensible AA settings, no hyper detailed, ultra demanding scenery add-on's and BP=0.

No limiter at all has been miraculous for me.

This is with...

i7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz.

EVGA GTX 770 SC 4 GB Duel BIOS.

8 GB DDR3.

UTX, GEX, REX.

1/2, or in my case 1/4 refresh rate [as I have a 120 Hz monitor] was awful on my system.

As a bad habit (?) inherited from my "pre-DX10 Fixer" days I've still been using the famous external limiter but am thinking to drop it since I rarely see FPS drop below... 70-80 now (with a limiter set to 30fps max). 

PS: Btw, my PC configuration is still the same found under my avatar.  :)

It's interesting how the conventional wisdom on this has switched back and forth over the years.

For what it's worth, I currently set frames unlimited in fsx, but use Nvidia Inspector to limit frames to 30fps (the eye can't perceive more, anyway).   :cool:

@Loic

I would take care with NickN's stuff (with typical self-modesty entitled "The Bible"). Have you had a look at Kosta's tweaks, for example? And perhaps the best level-headed summary of all (which is kept current) is in the Avsim Guide — get it from here: http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/1-fsx-hardware-software-guide/

Cheers,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747

Thks will download and have a look. Will tell you if this makes any change to my opinion. Only thing I was saying is that by following Nick's guide which was a very interesting read, specially the hardware part for me who was rebuilding a new machine. (not each and all though... I picked my choices) I have a smooth running FSX.

I don't personnally know the guy so I wouldn't dare having an opinion on his personality...But I'm also happy with Flight 1 stuff so far.

PS I see his name as the first one in the "thank you to major contributors" list of the Avsim guide, so it can't be that bad !

It was an interesting read, although I didn't learn anything I hadn't read somewhere else before. Interesting document to keep, it's now stored on my backup HD.

I am more of a virtual flyer than a PC tester, I much prefer spending my time flying than experimenting tweaks, so I guess my install will stay the way it is now.

- I don't plan on overclocking anything (except for my graphics card which is originally overclocked but well refreshed with 2 x 100mm fans - 26°C on idle)

- I'm happy with how my FSX runs with DX9 and don't think I will jump in DX 10 experimenting (but hey, you never know...)

- I don't fly heavy metal and long flights and don't intend to do so (I'm a bush pilot guy and like small prop airplanes)

- I like nature environments and will never fly into big airports with megascenery, I prefer small strips or "water runways"so I only use a few freeware airport addons for small places.

> "I am more of a virtual flyer than a PC tester, I much prefer spending my time flying than experimenting tweaks, so I guess my install will stay the way it is now."

Then it sounds as though you're a happy man: long may that remain the case!   :D  

The main advantage of the Avsim Guide is that it takes into account all the major tweaking theories and then presents a rational (and up to date) synthesis. It also covers the hardware setup (as you will have found). The only thing that worries me is that final section on "delidding" the CPU: for me that's far too risky for anyone except the most hardware-oriented simmer. Or else someone who isn't worried by the prospect of potentially wrecking £300 of cpu, of course.   ;)

Cheers,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747