MegaSceneryEarth Ultra Res - New York

Ultra-Res Cities take MegaSceneryEarth realism to a whole new level with unprecedented native 50 cm resolution scenery for larger cities and Terminal Control Areas.

You get the entire New York Terminal Control Area (shown by the chart link below) around 7,000 square miles of the all displayed at 50 cm per pixel.

The realism is simply stunning. You can fly this scenery and it remains clear right down to lower altitudes of around 500 feet. Perfect for helicopter flying around cities as well as cross city shorter flights in light aircraft or for ultra-realism while approaching and landing at a Terminal Control Area in a big jet.

The New York TAC, and this scenery, contains portions of New Jersey and Connecticut and includes 3 major international airports - Kennedy International, LaGuardia International and Newark International. The purpose of the Terminal Control area is to aid in the movement of air traffic in busy airspace and there's not too much

airspace that's busier than New York!

This scenery can co-exist with your New York (and New Jersey) complete state scenery. Place the Ultra-Res city above the state scenery in your scenery library.

So you can get full enjoyment from your New York Ultra-Res city we also provide a complete set of PDF charts for the state of New York. The most important one for VFR navigation in the area is the New York Terminal Area Chart.

ii_1974.jpeg

ii_1973.jpeg

ii_1971.jpeg

Thanks for the post about this - you beat me to it... Yeah the default autogen looks very ugly in NYC. This also includes a good chunk of New Jersey and most of Long Island and the imagery is quite crisp throughout, although this imagery set was taken during Winter it seems (which is unusual) so there is a lot of drier, brown colours in the image set.

I like the look of MSE products - not plunged into any of them yet though. I like the look of central park it does look fantastic; but the streets in NYC are all black possibly due to shadows of buildings interfering with  the above shots. This I am not a fan about :)

I am looking forward to seeing more of England to see how it compares to Gen X - if it is better then I may get that. 

All in all though it does look great for low and slow

Why is default autogen being displayed at all on photoscenery??

I agree with you Christopher.  The MSE help files tell you to place your Autogen slider all the way back to zero.

I have a lot of MSE and fly with the slider zeroed.  Anyway, there is no Autogen in MSE photoscenery.

I like the look of MSE products - not plunged into any of them yet though. I like the look of central park it does look fantastic; but the streets in NYC are all black possibly due to shadows of buildings interfering with  the above shots. This I am not a fan about :)

I am looking forward to seeing more of England to see how it compares to Gen X - if it is better then I may get that. 

All in all though it does look great for low and slow

The black in the scenery is due to it not being installed correctly, it is caused by not placing the MSE at top of scenery settings.

Dean - Can you please confirm this buddy? 

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. Thanks James

Jim, I have been checking this blackness out and it does look like shadow.  But and there's always one of them, I think Dean had better double check.

Flyover no tall buildings but still blackness showing in patches:

d1mPj.jpg

flyover Central District:

XjytA.jpg

Flyover Manhattan.  Notice shadows falling the same way?

yjHzk.jpg

Final to LaGuardia and the black shadows seen to have gone in the Central District?

Orpm4.jpg

Scenery placed at the top of the list in settings..

Dean, if you are following can you update us please.. :thum:

I remember being absolutely knocked out when I first saw the original Gen-X promo video, showing the North Wales mountains, I think. I went ahead and purchased all 3 Volumes and had a great time. No autogen poking through the photo-scenery - just the (very) odd hand-placed scenery object. I found I was reasonably happy above 1000 ft AGL. Below that, you had to suspend disbelief as the terrain was just the (enhanced) mesh with the photo textures 'pasted' on. Time passes...

Along comes Treescapes, and the countryside is transformed by the almost hand-placed copses, woods and individual trees. Great - but still lacking the immersion factor in and around city suburbs, unless you went the whole hog with products like Shawbury Fields and Aerosoft's London, etc.

Last year I installed U.S. Cities Los Angeles and was quite surprised at the level of detail - and sheer number - of the hand placed scenery objects in the photoscenery sections. Downtown L.A. was incredibly good - some outlying suburbs reverted to default landclass and autogen, but the dove-tailing of this with the photoscenery sections was more than acceptable.

Looking at the MSE New York screenshots, we seem to have gone back in time. To say that the autogen leaves a little to be desired is, perhaps, an unfortunate understatement. I'm sure plenty of simmers will enjoy the MSE product, but to me, at least, it's a missed opportunity.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Hi folks, sorry for the delay in reply. Been away at a wedding.

Ok, firstly the autogen... MSE disables autogen. Those buildings you see in the Central Park shot are not autogen buildings. They were "hand-placed" by the Microsoft Team. Any objects Microsoft hand-placed still appear with MSE 2.0 products.

The black areas are indeed shadows from the buildings. I'm not a big fan of that either, but not much that can be done (unless they took the source imagery dead on midday or when the sun was directly overhead (clearly they didn't).

Re Gen-X and MSE 2.0 England. I think you will find the MSE 2.0 version superior in texture clarity at least. I posted a few shots from the upcoming MSE 2.0 England package here not long ago - http://pcaviatorforums.com/index.php/topic/642-megasceneryearth-20-englandwales-preview-screenshots/ - Take a look and compare to your Gen X scenery and judge for yourself :)

... Re Gen-X and MSE 2.0 England. I think you will find the MSE 2.0 version superior in texture clarity at least. I posted a few shots from the upcoming MSE 2.0 England package here not long ago - http://pcaviatorforums.com/index.php/topic/642-megasceneryearth-20-englandwales-preview-screenshots/ - Take a look and compare to your Gen X scenery and judge for yourself :)

And the Blackwall Tunnels?

... Re Gen-X and MSE 2.0 England. I think you will find the MSE 2.0 version superior in texture clarity at least. I posted a few shots from the upcoming MSE 2.0 England package here not long ago - http://pcaviatorforums.com/index.php/topic/642-megasceneryearth-20-englandwales-preview-screenshots/ - Take a look and compare to your Gen X scenery and judge for yourself :)

And the Blackwall Tunnels?

Dai, please help me get what you mean, by "The Blackwall tunnels?

confused.com  :stars:

James, here's the image in question:

MSE-England5.jpg

It's from the PCA forum thread "MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 England/Wales - Preview Screenshots", here:

http://pcaviatorforums.com/index.php/topic/642-megasceneryearth-20-englandwales-preview-screenshots/

The Blackwall Tunnels cross under the river Thames from East Greenwich (by the O2/Millenium Dome), to Poplar, just west of EGLC.

James, here's the image in question:

MSE-England5.jpg

It's from the PCA forum thread "MegaSceneryEarth 2.0 England/Wales - Preview Screenshots", here:

http://pcaviatorforums.com/index.php/topic/642-megasceneryearth-20-englandwales-preview-screenshots/

The Blackwall Tunnels cross under the river Thames from East Greenwich (by the O2/Millenium Dome), to Poplar, just west of EGLC.

I am still at confused.com with the comment of the Blackwall Tunnels.  I followed the link you gave and no mention there.  I am quite familiar with the Tunnels as my Aunt used to live beside them (in a cardboard box) Ha Ha.

and they are shown on the image by Dean.  I have red ringed the north entrance, the south is hidden by the aircraft,

YkzS.jpg

So still bewildered.  Sorry for being a pain but you have my attention, or was it a standing joke between you and Dean?  Or is it the 2 bridges shown over the river that are non existent in real life?  If it is the bridges, then that is a FSX fault as the aces team

show all crossings of rivers as bridges even if it a tunnel.. :stars:  :thum:

Sorry about the confusion, Bach! I grew up in Greenwich - born just a stone's throw from the older tunnel at St. Alfage's hospital, so I knew the area quite well, until they removed the gasworks and built the Millenium Dome, so forth.

Nawrte, if you look at Dean's image, whilst the entrances to the tunnels appear on the photo-scenery (as per your pointer) , you'll also note the 'floating' carriageways across the Thames, which, I guess, depicts the course of the tunnels themselves. These 'floaters' (sorry, couldn't resist that) do not appear in the Gen-X scenery, if my memory serves me right. Mind you, I haven't checked that, so I could be wrong (what, Wrong - You?!? - Ed).

You know me, I'm a picky old git, what?

Never been to England before so I have no clue what the Blackwall Tunnels were before you mentioned them. As for those objects extending over the river, they could be just default FSX bridges or default road objects by the look of it? I'll have to find time to look again, but default hand-placed bridges and buildings show through MSE textures so that's what I am betting on, for now at least.

Never been to England before so I have no clue what the Blackwall Tunnels were before you mentioned them. As for those objects extending over the river, they could be just default FSX bridges or default road objects by the look of it? I'll have to find time to look again, but default hand-placed bridges and buildings show through MSE textures so that's what I am betting on, for now at least.

Dean, they are as I answered Dai, FSX shows tunnels as bridges and they are in the exact location as the Blackwall tunnels.  So default FSX/FS shows them as bridges and do not hide them..

Dean, they are as I answered Dai, FSX shows tunnels as bridges and they are in the exact location as the Blackwall tunnels.  So default FSX/FS shows them as bridges and do not hide them..

Learn something new every day! :)