Translational Lift Effect with FSX Helicopters

It's back to basics with FSX - how well does the flight simulator replicate the Translational Lift Effect? To find out, I took the default Bell 206B for a short flight at Missoula airport, home to Hovercontrol. Lifting off into Ground Effect I found that I could ascend, manoeuvre and descend back to the helipad without moving the Collective - just using the Cyclic. I had no idea that FSX's helicopter flight dynamics replicated Translational Effect so well. Have a go yourself - you will be surprised - that's if you didn't know already, of course!

Hope you enjoy the video:

Let me know how it works for you - Thanks.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

P.S. I made the video before the bionic repairs - can't get into the cockpit, yet!

Thanks, Peter - after 'discovering' how well FSX replicated TLE, I recorded the flight to remind myself and then thought: "Why not make a video?" I guess it's vaguely instructional, but I really just wanted a record. Glad you liked it.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I learned the effects of this when flying my R/C helicopter. When moving into forward flight from the hover the rotor blades produce more lift due to increased airflow over them so for the same amount of collective pitch the helicopter will climb in forward flight.

Also a right hand rotating main rotor will cause the helicopter to leave the ground "right skid last" and the opposite for a left hand rotating main rotor, I doubt this applies to a coaxial system however