DIY Airport Plates

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Sixteen added (2 in France) - should be about 484 of them now.

I think I have all of the UK in now. Let me know if there are some I missed. There are a few problematic ones I skipped, but not many.

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thats an awful lot you've done there, John - and I thought I was the one with too much spare time... :winka:

I do have a request, though - whether it can be done, I don't know.

Do you have a link, or can you give us one, to download the lot in one go?

There's an awful lot there, and I can guarantee the time I'll be finding myself on approach to an airport and thinking "I could do with one of John's plates here" is the time I find I haven't saved that particular one :winka:

It would take some time to right-click and save all 480-odd.

If not - no worries. I have the UK ones anyway, in the official UK VFR Guide (which includes some French ones) - but don't have many foreign ones.

Chars

JD

• 3 weeks later...

I sure would like to see some suggestions from users here... Sometimes the hardest part is deciding which ones to do next. I'm using an AH company to generate the ones in Europe, based on distance from EGHI. The shortest one on the jobs board is the one I pick next. Most are in France these days. The US ones tend to be the ones I go to in my "real" AH company, but I try to keep sprinkling in European ones because that's where most of you seem to do most of your flying.

John

Thanks for the plates John, much appreciated!

One of the most 'scary' approaches I've ever sat through(except for my own!) was into St Malo. The poor Ryanair Pilot had to land his fully laden 737-800 on a 7000ft runway. Lots of thrust changes, sinking and climbing followed by a very firm touchdown. Before boarding for our flight back to the UK, I observed the approach and landing from the terminal building. They really were slamming it down, right at the runway threshold...no messing around :cool:

Edit: Just looked up specs for the 737-800, looks like St Malo's runway just meets the minimum runway length requirements :blush:

You should also try Derry (EGAE) I fly there with Ryanair fairly often as my wife is from there, its usually a rough landing with full reverse and full brakes and one time I thought we would go off the end of the runway! Only ever had one Captain warn the passengers before hand though!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It's been a while since I've added any, but just posted 18 new, including a half-dozen in South America and the Caribbean basin, plus four updates. As always, requests are welcome.

John

It's been a while since I've added any, but just posted 18 new, including a half-dozen in South America and the Caribbean basin, plus four updates. As always, requests are welcome.

John

Hi John,

I would like to make a few requests, if you don't mind...

- Tony's Place, South-Eastern Australia (VERY hard to get data, not sure if you can do?)

- Mitchell's Place, South Eastern Australia (Probably easier to get data for)

- Glen Innes YGLI, South Eastern Australia

- Strathbogie Rd, South Eastern Aus (see a pattern yet? =D)

That's all, thank you very much.

Jack :001_th_smiles89:

Hi John,

The two airfields I listed do not have ICAO codes, no. That is why I wrote I think they are hard to have data found for them.

I am planning a GA, "Field-to-Field" flight from Coffs Harbour to Tamworth in the future, and I thought it would be nice if I could use the plates as a reference when I fly over the fields, and incase I need to make an emegerency landing.

Jack,

I depend on FS for the data and even the airport images. If it doesn't come up in FS as an airport in the "Go To Airport" menu, I'm out of the game. I'd be happy to help but just don't have a usable data source.

For my own flying (I'm my own best customer), the usefulness of the airport diagrams I make lies in the fact that they are made with FS data - when I get there it will be exactly as my diagram shows because FS is my source.

John

Hi John,

These airports are 100% available if you download (freeware) OZx 3.3, a great add-on even if you don't want to "plate" that particular airport(s).

If not; I have another request. This one should be easier.

"Forster Wallis Island" Airport in South-Eastern Australia.

This IS a real-world airport, and DOES have an ICAO code (YFST). It should be much easier to get data from because of this. It is a bit tricky to get the data from FS though, but Google Earth provides and excellent overhead view, and runway data, airport data, etc is available freely on the web.

For example, a picture extracted from Google Maps:

Forster.jpg

Latitude: -32.1868

Longtitude: 152.513

ICAO: YFST

Runways: 2

Runway Length: (23/05) 5413 × 312 ft (1650 × 95 m)

(32/14) Approx. 2900 x 115 ft (884 x 35 m)

NSW, Australia

I hope this information is useful.

Kind regards,

I think your best bet there is to overlay the text data onto the GE image. But for John to build a plate he (or you) would have to create an AFCAD for the airport, since that's where the data to build the diagram comes from (it's the same whether you are using ADE, AFX, AFCAD or even Plan-G for the diagram, and the AFCAD is crucial to this). And at the end of the process, you would have no better information than you've already provided. Plus, plonking an afcad down there would pretty much ruin the character of what is a cracking little strip (I've flown there a few times in FSX).

• 2 months later...

16 new and 6 updated airports posted...

EDIT – June 4, 2011:

NEW – 7TX2, CZBB, EDGX, EGHC, EGHE, EGHU, EGNH, EGNV, EGOV, KADS, KCTZ, KGGI, KOKV, KVNC, LFQT, LFRQ

UPDATED - EDDW, EGAC, EGHI, EGJA, KJES, LFRD

John