Product Preview - Aerosoft Global Air Traffic Control (GATC)

banner.jpg

In a break from the norm we would like to give you an insight to a product in development from Aerosoft.

This is a stand alone ATC program that uses real world procedures to control terminal air traffic.

The release is hoped to be next month but in the mean time you can read more about it here.

Cheers,

Joe

I welcome the idea of a better and more involving atc program but we need another weather prog like a hole in the head likewise a flight planner, and quite how all this will work with our existing weather and planner progs only time will tell. it will be  a brave man to buy without seeing a few reviews.

I welcome the idea of a better and more involving atc program but we need another weather prog like a hole in the head likewise a flight planner, and quite how all this will work with our existing weather and planner progs only time will tell. it will be  a brave man to buy without seeing a few reviews.

Eh?  :huh:

But it is a stand alone simulator that uses a Navigraph type database for accurate depiction of airport runways etc, there's no weather engine, it has the ability to call for real world weather to set the active runways dependant on wind conditions, did you actually read my preview?  :D

Aerosoft have also just posted FAQ's so more info here http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/75585-faq/

Cheers,

Joe

Looks good so far Joe.

I doubt it's for me though. I can't think fast enough to be able to avoid disasters.

ATC is best left to those who have clear thinking. :D

Just pop into Specsavers and your thinking will become much clearer..  :whis:  :rofl:  

Could be a great learning tool for those wishing to become active controllers on Vatsim etc.,

Or as you say a change from flying and understanding ATC from a controllers point of view..

See I did read it, not like..  :rofl:  :rofl:

Clearly, you have missed the point (I'm not sure how) of it being a 'stand alone' dedicated ATC simulator.  It is like Wesson International's TRACON and TRACON II were as far back as 1989 and the myriad of others since then.

OK.  So it's not for you, but more than likely, thousands of people will purchase it and enjoy it.

I've been keeping an eye on this over on the Aerosoft forum for some time now...

The only thing I feel is missing is of course voice control, but from what I've understood that is sadly out of the question at this point due to the limitations in access to english voice control in non-english versions of windows :(

Eh?  :huh:

But it is a stand alone simulator that uses a Navigraph type database for accurate depiction of airport runways etc, there's no weather engine, it has the ability to call for real world weather to set the active runways dependant on wind conditions, did you actually read my preview?  :D

Aerosoft have also just posted FAQ's so more info here http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/75585-faq/

Cheers,

Joe

as you say I didnt twig it was stand alone, but how does it set the weather from weather reports and how does it integrate the traffic around you then? presumably the traffic that you hear is like AI traffic and not non existant or am i being thick??

You're not in it - you're an air traffic controller at a radar console.  It uses RW WX to set the WX in the ATC simulation, probably mainly wind effects.  All the traffic is AI, generated by the program, presumably at random but per the slider settings you make, depending on how high you want the pucker factor as a controller.

John

By the way Joe, you miss-spelled Aerosoft in the TITLE tag for the HTML-page... I'm pretty sure it isn't spelled Aersot   ;)

Looking in the forum over at Aerosoft you have the possibility to define traffic for airlines on you own, including routes and aircraft used, and the software comes with a bunch of these included on installation... and I suppose it also adds random traffic too....

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/66443-global-air-traffic-control/page-3#entry486766

By the way Joe, you miss-spelled Aerosoft in the TITLE tag for the HTML-page... I'm pretty sure it isn't spelled Aersot   ;)

Looking in the forum over at Aerosoft you have the possibility to define traffic for airlines on you own, including routes and aircraft used, and the software comes with a bunch of these included on installation... and I suppose it also adds random traffic too....

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/66443-global-air-traffic-control/page-3#entry486766

Thanks Micke, I know, I have been away today so will sort it in the morning  :thanks:

EDIT: Done   :hat:

I had a good chat with the developer at Lelystad, he had a lot to say  :stars: and I didn't quite get all the planned features for the RTM version in memory, you should have been with me.

Cheers..

Joe

Over a hundred grand a year, about one to two hours work with thirty minute breaks in between. Sounds like something worth practicing for. :) This program looks like it is trying to be pretty advanced compared to what's out there already. Sounds too stressful for me, I'd rather do the flying. :D  

Thanks Joe.  I think that I may give this a go. It seems quire self contained and might be a good FS type game to put on a laptop.

I Have some more questions on that subject.....

Are most game commands used easily by the keyboard and mouse only? (FSX is usable by these two but so much better with a joystick)

Is the game control slanted towards the keyboard or the mouse?

Is the screen layout suited to a smaller screen or would it be too cramped on, say, a 15 inch screen?

Thanks,

J

There is a manual command window at the bottom of the scope screen, this is for keyboard command, here's an extract from the manual.

The examples below are all to an aircraft with the call sign ABC123 obviously

HEADING  ABC123 C H 125  

ALTITUDE ABC123 C A 250 

SPEED ABC123 S 230

DIRECT TO AND JOIN ABC123 D LODNI

DIRECT TO AND HOLD  ABC123 H LODNI  

PROCEDURES ABC123 J LODN1P

CLEARED TO APPROACH ABC123 C APP 08L

CLEARED TO LAND ABC123 C L 08L

CLEARED FOR VISUAL APPROACH ABC123 C VIS 08L

CLEARED FOR ILS APPROACHABC 123 C APP ILS08L

CLEARED TO LINEUP  ABC123 LU

CLEARED TO TAKE-OFF  ABC123 TO

These commands are pretty quick and easy to type. You only need the flights panel open for information, the rest can be gleaned from the screen.

I found it easier to use the mouse but the operation probably takes longer than using the command window!

As for the screen size, you can zoom in to a section that has a lot of action and you are dealing with avoidance etc. The mouse wheel performs this action.

Hope this helps, the manual I have is not for distribution and it is unfinished otherwise I would let you have a copy.

Cheers,

Joe

Thank you for the pre-release review, Joe!    :)

There have been a few attempts at this (over many years, now) but all of them have had their problems.

This one looks as though it might just make it — especially given the Navigraph data usage.

I thought Mathijs's last comment on November 12th (http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/66443-global-air-traffic-control-a-new-stand-alone-simulator/page-6#entry539478) could be appropriate for some:

> "In other words you are not controlled - you are The Controller"     :whis:

Cheers,

Bruce