What did you spot today?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brand-new Air Canada 787 flying overhead Portlaoise a few minutes ago   https://www.flickr.com/photos/111752039@N08/14103084188/   And some shots from the 17th May, while waiting for a train   h

Saw a Spitfire off the coast of Hastings last week, only a brief glimpse. The unmistakable sound of a Merlin alerted me to its presence.

Boeing B-52 Stratofortress and Boeing 707.

• 1 month later...

I think there was an Ilyushin 4-jet the other day over my house... I swear I've seen a VC10 doing touch-and-go at RNAS Yeovilton down the road but might be mistaken. Only contrails in the distance of the transatlantic bunch heading along the south coast today.

• 2 months later...

He's got a few other pieces further east to gobble up first, but will, until he's stopped. If I were Hungary, Belarus, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia, I'd be pretty worried right now.

John

I spotted two blimps.  No, I don't mean fat people.  Goodyear houses one of it's blimps, The Spirit of Innovation, in Pompano Beach, FL and it is a frequent sight around here.  I've actually gone flying in it three times. :)

The Spirit of Goodyear, from Akron, Ohio is retiring and will be dismantled next year, and has been housed in Pompano Beach for the winter. Every once in a while they are both flying together.

it's not a great pic, snapped with an iPhone while driving.

TwoBlimps_zps21255ba3.jpg

Looks like there was a fuel dumping overhead today. Trails were visible but not from the engines. Times like these I wish I had an airband scanner.

They're rather inexpensive.  Can't you pick one up somewhere or are they not legal in the U.K.?

So, UA959 had a fuel sensor issue and made an emergency landing at Heathrow.

Richard, they are legal and am planning on getting one. It just happened that an emergency cropped up when I don't have one.

Richard, they are legal and am planning on getting one. It just happened that an emergency cropped up when I don't have one.

That's always how it is. Never got ot when you need it. :)

That's always how it is. Never got ot when you need it. :)

Indeed they are legal in the UK. However:

• Using anything listen in to any transmissions without the express permission of the sender is not.
  • Listening to transmissions made by any of the emergency services and ATC is expressly not allowed, and is an offence. (This is why you cant get streamed UK ATC on the web).
  • Using a scanner is against the law (according to OFcom). Yes it is OK to own one, but you cant use it!

Work that out and use at your own risk.