Does it always stall at that point, while loading "terrain data"?

If so, go to the Scenery Listing and disable one layer at a time until you find the one causing the problem. It is probably some add-on scenery with a wart in it.

John

Paul,

Some troubleshooting questions:

• The loading can take minutes depending on your scenery and weather setup. How long does it take to load FSX?
  • Are you running FSX in Full Screen or Windowed mode?  If in Full Screen mode, have you tried CTRL+ALT+DELETE, brought up the Task Manager and used it to switch to FSX?  Try running FSX in Windowed mode and see if it makes a difference.
  • Using the Task Manager is the best way (and only way) to switch to FSX with Windows 7 as the OS, particularly in Full Screen mode.

Here is a procedure I have found improves the running of FSX and the speed in which it loads:

• do a fresh reboot;
  • start FSX and let it sit until there is no more drive activity;
  • close FSX down;
  • start FSX again, or open REX and start FSX from within REX.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks everyone for their info, John it doesn't stop at terrain data. It carries on to 100% then it just shows the desktop. I can hear the engine sounds etc.

Andrew! That's some great information. If this problem crops up again. I'll sure to be use your post as a reference.

This seems to be an intermittent problem, my FSX must have a mind of it's own. :D

Paul,

My system often does the same - when loading reaches 100%, FSX disappears from the desktop.

In my case it's because FSX goes into minimize mode.

I easily get round this by putting the mouse pointer over the FSX icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen which causes the Microsoft Flight SimulatorX window to pop-up, move the mouse pointer into this window, then either left click the mouse or right click to open a drop down menu and click on the maximize function.

No idea what determines FSX to boot in minimize mode - as you say, pc's do seem to have a mind of their own!

Ray.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 Alt+Enter for me too. Might have to do it a couple of times with a short pause in between.

It happens only once in awhile and I always thought it was a memory problem, like when I load a memory intensive aircraft and click fly before it starts turning in the preview window.

Have you tried something like Razor Game Booster to shut down other processes.

Just adding my thoughts...

I've found that FSX gets progressively more unstable as time goes by and more stuff gets installed. I've had your symptoms, and others, like CTD's when I impatiently click the mouse whilst FSX is thinking about loading a Saved flight. So, what? Well, after powering up and booting W7, I hit the FSX button and wait for the minute or so for the main menu screen to pop up. If I left FSX in Free Flight, I click Fly Now and the default Microlight flight starts loading. At this point my hand is Nowhere Near the Mouse! When the default Free Flight appears, I know that (my) FSX install is working. I exit (ESC) and return to the main menu and go from there - Load another Saved Flight, change airport, whatever. This works for me - seems that (my) FSX is a little unstable, so I practice a bit of Voo-Doo on it to placate the G*ds, know what I mean?!?

Probably completely unnecessary, but don't knock it - it works (for me, leastways).

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I have 3 versions of FSX on 3 different drives 2 in windows 7 the other win 8.1 and none of them boot the same way, one takes longer than the others, it may be because the HD is older and slower? who knows but once I get a really good version working faultlessly i always copy and paste it to my backup HD so if it all goes tits up after a few  months of various installations/uninstallations , all I need to do is delete the original and copy and paste the backup into the original location. It wont cure all the problems that can affect fsx but it sure can cure most.

At the moment windows 8 is a non event something is using too much vas and i cant find what, i can fly simple a/c with impunity but more complex ones on non- stock scenery and it locks up after a few minutes.