Leg 20: Campo Arenal (SA11) to Santiago (SCEL)

After disembarking my pax of itinerant mine workers at Campo Arenal (SA11), I have to ferry the B200 'King Air' to Tucuman (SANT).  Apparently it has been chartered by yet another mining company for tomorrow morning.  In the meantime, I already had work lined up out of Tucuman.  This wasn't going to be a flash job by any stretch of the imagination, but it was the flying that made it so interesting because it is so challenging - 'hot and high'.

Departing straight out, it was a quick climb to clear the Aconquija Mountains  before descending down into the valley known as the Chaco-Pampean flats and the city of San Miguel de Tucuman.

rbgw.jpg

ida6.jpg

wzbj.jpg

26xk.jpg

Established on finals, the landing and roll out were effortless, with a short taxi to parking.

u1kk.jpg

28p2.jpg

2lop.jpg

x16f.jpg

p5e8.jpg

Having secured and handed over the B200, I headed off to quickly check in with the freight company I was flying this job for tomorrow before heading into town and my hotel.  A night of relaxing and maybe I might get lucky with something 'hot and high'.

ehne.jpg

The next morning, and feeling a little worse for wear (but that's a story for another time), I was greeted at the airport by the glory of a magnificent dawn.  My thoughts quickly turned to my little mate, Brian, back in Drumnadrochit, Scotland, who never could really understand what all the 'glory' was.  Anyway, I would have more time to enjoy this from the air.  This was a 'milk run' flight, cargo to be specific, and isn't it amazing how, over the centuries, the concepts and practices remain, it's just the method and means which change.  My means for this job is a Cessna 337 'Skymaster'.  The 'run' takes me from Tucuman (SANT) and basically follows the mountain range down to Mendoza (SAME), near the famous Uspallata Pass, before crossing the Andes into Chile and Santiago (SCEL).  With stops at Santiago del Estero (SANE), Catamarca (SANC), La Rioja (SANL), Chilecito (SANO), and San Juan (SANU), the flight will certainly keep me busy.

The departure from SANT and en route to SANE.  There are a few more cycles to come before this day is out.

rj5r.jpg

7bjy.jpg

nfzl.jpg

juk3.jpg

ufni.jpg

In and out of SANE and it was then over the ridge line and down into the valley for SANC.

z783.jpg

kex9.jpg

qo2a.jpg

2vkj.jpg

tbvh.jpg

zqrp.jpg

w1te.jpg

ag0n.jpg

On downwind and finals for SANC.

26zv.jpg

5n3z.jpg

85j6.jpg

e7m2.jpg

75h7.jpg

Next up, and not before long, it was SANL, one of the larger airports on the run.

yune.jpg

ywb2.jpg

s8fp.jpg

hfi4.jpg

In keeping with the common theme, up, up, over another ridge line and in and out of SANO.

ekly.jpg

zj6a.jpg

rdlh.jpg

b2mw.jpg

The weather had closed in at SANO, but the 'mail must get through'.

jbc9.jpg

iva7.jpg

After a few more mountains it was on downwind and finals for SANU.

id62.jpg

7m5o.jpg

7rdr.jpg

c7b9.jpg

ig6d.jpg

The final stop in Argentina, SAME, downwind, and the local constabulary waiting at parking always sets my nerves on edge.

xx2h.jpg

bcuu.jpg

bto0.jpg

h97s.jpg

Now for the climb, climb, climb.  Going through the Uspallata Pass was an option, but I so much enjoy altitude.

y9c1.jpg

go9p.jpg

From here it is all down hill and with one last hurdle, it was into SCEL and the end of this leg, finally.

oq1x.jpg

yntv.jpg

vbhb.jpg

wtd8.jpg

7pg8.jpg

o7li.jpg

x0g4.jpg

And so here I end am in Santiago (SCEL), Chile after having flown extensively throughout South America. On! On!

Cheers
Andrew

Great PIREP Andrew.  

I like the use of the Cessna 337 'Skymaster', it being a pushmepullyou aircraft. Dr Dolittle's Pushmepullyou was essentialy a doubleheadded South American Lama:-

pmpy.jpg

Although how it voids any food it eats is anyone's guess!.  :huh:

Good days work Andrew, does your pay go back into the Committee's coffers? :D Nice choice of flight plan and screenshots to explain it all. Thanks for the fly along. :thum:

Hope you didn't forget to pick up the baton. :P   

Bravo Andrew, and it was nice to see you back in the land of the SANE, even if you just made a quick visit ;)

Great shots, the sunrise shots was simply glorious, and a good story to go along with it... If I could you'd get three thumbs up ;)

If he'd forgotten the baton one wonders if the lad would have gone inSANE ? (ugh..I'll get my coat)

Oh, don't worry about Andrew, he's already insane... it's one of the prerequisites for being a moderator here on Mutley's  ;)

• 3 weeks later...