Great Australian Air Rally - GAAR 2014 - Team Mutley: Call For Pilots!

logo_gaar_2014.jpg

Andrew Godden has just announced that entries to his Great Australian Air Rally (GAAR) for 2014, are now open. More info here:

http://www.bluegrassairlines.com/operations/gar_gp/2014/gaar_2014/index.html

We've had a Team Mutley entry for the last couple of years, so, please post if you're interested in joining the Team for 2014, and let us know if you have a preference for which aircraft you'd like the team to fly (see the GAAR website for types).

And a Big Thank You to Andrew - Well Done, Mate. Look forward to another challenging rally! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually fly the whole rally but if Team Mutley needs a pilot, I will see what I can do. :)

For those that have never tried a rally, I highly recommend it. It's like golf, your only playing flying against yourself and get to see some nice scenery along the way. :D

Thanks Brett - happy to fly the DC-3 with Joe and me?

Anyone else can join in the fun - you only need to fly 1 Leg, and the Dizzie is just the 'plane for the job. Please let us know.

Thanks. :thum:

I've never done anything like this before, but I'd like to join in. I only see one issue in me joining, I work away all week, so I'll only be available to fly my leg at weekends. If that won't cause a problem then count me in!

I'd also be happy with the DC3, bloody lovely plane to fly!

Thanks, Froggie, no worries as you can do your chosen Leg(s) in advance.

I like mine flambayed... :whis:

More details when we know the exact route.

P.S. That's 4 members for Team Mutley. Any more for the Skylark?!?

More details when we know the exact route.

Dai, the route has been published, John has already done the plates, but there's no hurry.

I didn't realise how much I missed the challenges, so much, that I have started preparations for the MEBAR 2014, Easter is much later this year (20th April) so we will have a nice break between the two.

Cheers,

Joe

Hello Dai,

I finally have the time and, hopefully, the place to get involved. QuikAire flies the stock FSX DC-3 and I think I can get it away from the base for a month. Going to be quite the ferry flight, though. Do you think I could buy a Goonie in Oz instead? Everything but the DME on the panel. I will fly the Test Flight in the next 24 hours.

O.K. - here's an Outline Plan for the 10 Legs of GAAR 2014:

GAAR_2014_Plan-G_Large_zpscf4469ad.jpg

And a first attempt at the Team Mutley GAAR Rota:

Leg 1: Wollongong (YWOL) to Polo Flat (YPFT)       269 nm         t.b.a. (i.e. 'Mutley')

Leg 2: Polo Flat (YPFT) to Balranald (YBRN)        302 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 3: Balranald (YBRN) to Pooncarie (YPCE)        221 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 4: Pooncarie (YPCE) to Wilcannia (YWCA)        201 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 5: Wilcannia (YWCA) to Tibooburra (YTIB)       257 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 6: Tibooburra (YTIB) to Bourke (YBKE)          251 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 7: Bourke (YBKE) to Moree (YMOR)               261 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 8: Moree (YMOR) to Ballina (YBNA)              268 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 9: Ballina (YBNA) to Port Macquarie (YPMQ)     324 nm         t.b.a.

Leg 10: Port Macquarie (YPMQ) to Wollongong (YWOL) 296 nm         t.b.a.

Note that the Outline Plan does NOT show the individual Leg flight detail! This will be available from Andrew's GAAR website shortly.

Could you please post your preferences for at least 3 Legs? I'll sort the rota out so that we do 2 Legs each. If you only want 1 Leg, that's fine, just indicate in your post and, hopefully, you will be assigned that Leg. Hope that's fair - make any comments you want!

We've got a couple of weeks to sort ourselves out but you will need to fly the Test Flight and record your Test Flight Time. Please post that here, so I can do the sums and come up with the Team Mutley average Test Flight Time. I can then register the team for GAAR.

Lastly, if anyone else wants to join, we have the option of an 'A Team' (Ha!), like MEBAR last year. Just let us know - the more etc...

Thanks for supporting Team Mutley! :thum:

I'll fly the test leg next weekend, I was planning on doing it this weekend, but That bloody juddery saitek yoke annoyed me no end, so I took my cougar apart for a good clean and set that up.

I'm happy to fly any leg required, and I Imagine I could get 3 in of a weekend. Anyone have any links to help me remeber how to fill out a PIREP? I haven't done one in years!

The first post has the link to the rally home page, from that page you can find all the info needed information including on how the rally PIREP's are organized and posted.

I would gather, and Dai get elaborate, that we will post our times to the team captain and he would email them to the rally organizer(Andrew).

I flew three test legs at 22.07, 22.03, 22.02 = 22.04 average. these were all done at 4500 ft using max cruise - 2230@33" for 137 IAS ~145 TAS

Is that the info you need? Do you want a group flown at economy cruise (2050@30")?

The first post has the link to the rally home page, from that page you can find all the info needed information including on how the rally PIREP's are organized and posted.

I would gather, and Dai get elaborate, that we will post our times to the team captain and he would email them to the rally organizer(Andrew).

Thanks, Brett - that's the way PIREP's went in last GAAR - post your Leg Time and I'll email Andrew.

As to the Rota, I'll post a draft and see if you all agree. It's slightly difficult as we don't know the exact Flight Plans for each Leg, but Andrew should post these on the GAAR site soon.

John (March) - your average is fine, Thanks. Mine was a few seconds faster, I think.

I'm partial to the coast. That means 1,9,10. However it might be interesting to see a bit of the interior, even if only in FSX stock scenery, so, say 6,7. I'm a bit suspicious though. There's a lot of legs where the distance is far greater than the crow would fly. i wonder what's in store?

I've a question for Joe: The flight times you quote must have been flown at near max continuous. Is there a reason for this? I'm under the impression that DC-3's were normally flow around 130 IAS.