JG's FSX PC Software Build

John what I use is a 1T external hard drive (WD Passport on USB3).  I direct my windows back up to that drive.  With FSX I just copy the whole file from the FSX drive onto the passport.

Then if I bugger up FSX I delete the whole folder and  I copy back FSX again..

I can see what you do in MS Backup, but I don't have a USB connected drive. The drive I want to use is a WD MyBook Network drive, so not local to the FSX PC. It seems that MS Backup will only allow you to back up on an internal or directly connected drive.You just cant see any network devices in the available drive window.

So what I was thinking of doing is backing up to an internal HDD and then manually moving the disk image to the NAS. 

What i don't know is whether or not the backup would be messed up by effectively changing its path?

J

You can do the back up of windows to your internal FSX disc, you have the room.  Or make a partition on the FSX drive and direct the back up to it. 

If you copy the FSX directory to your windows drive, then you will have to fool windows by renaming the FSX folder to say FEX and find the FSX application .exe in the root of FEX and rename it to  a number say 2. 

This will fool windows into believing that the only FSX.exe is on the FSX drive. But when it come to copy the FSX folder back onto your FSX drive you must remember to correct the fooled doc's..  you OK with that?

Do you know how to make a partition on a drive?

Hi Jaydor.

I have a lot of space on my windows drive and I don't intend to use the PC for anything other than FSX I have created a good size partition on that drive (J:)

I am now backing up the second drive into that partition.

I have had some issues with installing addons. The addons I am installing are FSUIPC (Registered), Soundstream (stops the FSX sound from disappearing when the focus is not on the main FSX window.) EZdok and FSINN/FSPilot.

There seems to be some sort of conflict with these addons.  So far I have managed to get a stable build with FSUIPC SoundStream and EZDok 1.7. (it didn't like EZDok 1.5 at all).

My first attempt was problematic as Although installed some were not showing in the menu and FSX crashed on exit.  Uninstalling them and installing FSUIPC first has given me a stable build without FSPilot/FSInn.

The last part I will add after the backup is done.

J.

Edit: Backup completer successfully. It is visible on the J drive as a single backup file so I guess i wont need to do the renaming thing. 

OK I have found the thing that is causing me trouble.  Its EZDok.  Both v1.5.1 and v1.1.7 cause the issue with scenery that i had in my bouncing FSX post:-

....... Redraw of scenery seem very slow when switching from a cockpit view to an outside view.

Sometimes the scenery seems to form in mid air and drop down into place........

Uninstall EZDok, restart the PC and then the issue goes away, re-install it and it is back.

Its a shame as I like EZDok and have a Track IR.

Any tips on EZDok would be good....

J

I have EZDOK and have used it but I do not any longer as I tend to use hat switch and  my mouse for movement and zoom.  I am quite fast in selecting shift+o then using the mouse to move around  and the wheel to zoon in and out.

I did not notice any trouble from the EZDOK also I do not have any trouble losing my sound when selecting different a window-shot.  But it is good news to know you have found one potential problem, fingers crossed that was the one?

With the conflict's of the addons, I am not sure if this is down to the time the addon was made.  Was it created under another O/S before Win7, if so then you may need to use the Win7 compatibility tool in the configuration of the install.

FSUIPC was made awhile ago in either Xp or Vista and I do not know if it has been upgraded by the maker or any of the other addons you are using.  Maybe someone who is following this topic may update us with the knowledge?

Just keep using FSX for now, as I have found by having 2 computers, that if FSX is left alone (not used) for awhile then little problems occur, so I tend to fire them both up once a day even if I just the concentrate on one machine. 

I tend to fly on one and use photoshop on the other.  Go fly..  But keep the topic going as I am sure others are following us and maybe helping them also.  :thum:

Thanks Jaydoor,

I have still a way to go on this install yet as next I will be installing the scenery. and aircraft.

However that, and everything else will have to wait for a week as I am off to Dubai for sun tomorrow! 

At least at the current pace I will be back before it is my next leg on the ATWC!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back safely from my Arabian experience, the most memorable of which was my wife spending just short of two hours in a small shop in a souk buying a pashmina (scarf)!

The next stage on this process is to install the scenery. I don't see why this would be a problem as I think that EZDok was the Issue. EZDok is fully uninstalled now which, incidentally was a royal pain in the arse as you have to manually undo the changes made for the EZDok universal view for all installed aircraft in their aircraft.cfg files - yes that includes the default ones.

So that now raises the big question:-

How can I use my TrackIR without EZDok?

Whilst the great and the good are pondering that little gem, I will be mostly installing Scenary. 

Update:

I may Dave found the cause of EZDok not working.  My install of FSX Acceleration wasn't right. Fixed this with a re-install, so EXdok may well work now.

I am going to continue without EZDok at the moment and do all my configuration work. Then I will look at EZDok again.

Back from Dubai I am resuming my build. below is a summery of the progress so far and...so far so good completed parts in Green, please refer to earlier posts for details of sections 1 to 4:

Stage 1 of build completed

Stage 2 of build completed

Stage 3 of build completed

Stage 4 of build completed

Stage 5

1. Load FS Global 2010
  2. Reboot
  3. Run FSX
  4. Load ORBX Global
  5. Repeat 2 & 3
  6. Load ORBX England 
  7. Repeat 2 & 3
  8. Load ORBX Wales
  9. Repeat 2 & 3
  10. Load ORBX Scotland
  11. Repeat 2 & 3
  12. Load ORBX N. Ireland
  13. Repeat 2 & 3
  14. Load ORBX S. Ireland
  15. Reboot

Stage 5 of build completed

Stage 6

1. Comment out the aircraft or aircraft paints not required (aircraft cfg/Panel=XXX)
  2. Re try EZDok build.
  3. If EZDok build is successful;
  • ​Build a default camera set
  • Taylor the default camera set to installed aircraft

Stage  of build completed

Stage 7

1. Automate start up of various supporting programs

Stage 7 of build completed

Stage 8

1. Backup of  build

Stage 8 of build completed

Build completed.

So still a bit to do!

Brett is also telling you to install one at a time reboot and run, before adding another, so it is important John.

Also BritFrog posed a question earlier that I answered, so I am copying you the info also:

Nigel,

It is better to use a separate drive for some programs and this is the reason why and also why you should have FSX on a different drive or partition.

Windows is the driving force for FSX. If you have FSX and all your scenery on the same drive say "C" as windows, then windows has to get the information from FSX and the scenery to place it in the memory banks and process it.

Thus windows has to write to FSX, get the info and the scenery, re-write it back to windows store it then process it. This is all done fast but it causes a bottleneck through all the writing and re-writing thus you start getting information in a queue.

Result a slowing down of the program information = causes such as in the case of FSX; stuttering blurries and the like including CTD and OOM's

Now windows can handle information faster and smoother if the program in use, is on a separate drive, because you are easing the information queue/bottleneck, because windows does not have to keep re-writing to itself.

It grabs it, stores it, processes it.

As you know , I am a MSE addict, so all my MSE is on a different drive even to FSX. Windows can grab from both the separate drives faster than if it was all on the same drive.

Hope this simple explanation helps you get a better idea of why the guide from most experienced FSX users recommend a separate drive.

James,

I have to disagree with you on separate disks, I have tried it and found it slower because of transfer rates, but hey each to their own, you are happy with your setup and i with mine, i use the default proigram (86) location and have never had an OOM or CTD except when I have made an error or another prog has done something I didnt know about. Right now I can start a flight from europe to the US using the pmdg NGX and arrive at whatever airport i like with any scenery including ftx and never have a crash.

I like you have read a load of bumph from "experienced " simmers but none have ever been able to prove the why's or wherefore of a single disk setup over a multiple, so it is each to his own

It is the reason why, when I get my fsx working so well, that I back it up on another hard drive. It is also the reason why I have fsx on yet another drive to try any new software before committing it to my main fsx drive. I dont yet have the P.C of dreams , it is after all 3 years old but it works well and gives me 30fps under most situations.

I think the whole separate drives thing is dependent on the individuals setup.

In this build I have two drives.  I have chosen to put my operating system on one drive and FSX on the other.  When it came to installing FS Global 2010 which is huge I found myself in a bit of a dilemma: Should I put it on the FSX drive or on the Windows drive?  

In previous builds where i have had FSX on the same drive as the operating system I have installed a lot of scenery on to the second drive. I saw no deteriation in performance by doing so and it enabled me to make good use of what was previously unused drive space

In this build I reasoned that there was more chance of a read conflict between FSX and windows, and so I have windows on the C drive and all of my FSX stuff on the D drive.  I think at this early stage it has paid off as the whole thing seems faster than before, but we will have to see if that remains the case.

J. 

I am still going with this build, so far...

Stage 6

1. Write Arduino code for home made switch panels
  2. Build Saitek Panel code for various Engine types (95% Done)
  3. Comment out the aircraft or aircraft paints not required (aircraft cfg/Panel=XXX)
  4. Re try EZDok build.
  5. If EZDok build is successful;
  • Set up trackIR

Stage  6 of build completed

Stage 7

Stage 8

1. Backup of  build

Build completed.

At last the end is in sight.

I have solved the EZ Dock issues by dropping down from v1.1.7 to v1.1.6 this seems a much more stable version than the latest one.

My work is now centered on the Arduino code for the homemade panels.  This is almost complete, I just have one mor issue to complete and then this will be done.

after this I will build the Saitek Guage set which shouldn't take too long and then set up my TrackIR device

Stage 6 is taking me longer than expected.  Issues with the Ardiuno code (very similar to C++ ) have slowed down my progress, those issues are largely solved now.

I am  now working on the Saitek instrument panels.This also is taking time. I have looked on the freeware sites for panels to replace the default ones don't match my needs.

This is the list of panels I want:

Engine panels:

PFD

Jet engine - 

4 engines

3 engines

2 engines

1 engine

Turbo Prop -

4 engines

2 engines

1 engine

Piston Prop -

4 engines

2 engines

1 engine

Those in blue above are readily available as downloads from Simviation and are already installed, those in red I will have to build my self, Those in green I have built completed and tested. This process is easier than you might think if:

• You know a little XML
  • Can use and understand bitmap formats.
  • Start with 4 engines and work down

It is a little harder if you start with less engines than you want to finish with, especially as I cant see a list of Siatek commands for the bits I need to add!

Home built completed and installed so far are    

3 Jet engines

2 Jet engines

Downloded and installed:

PFD

3 Jet engines

2 Jet engines

1 Jet engine

Turbo Prop -

2 Turbo Prop engines

1 Turbo Prop engine

Piston Prop -

2 engines

1 engine

This leaves just the 4 turbo prop and 4 Piston engines to do.

I have also built a default EZDok Camera set and will soon be applying and tailoring it to my aircraft set.  |In this respect I have decided to remove a lot of aircraft from the build. To qualify for my build now any aircraft must have seen service with the Royal Air Force, Royal Navy, Royal Army Air corps, or the Royal Aircraft Establishment. There will be only a few exceptions to this rule: Any Airbus and the Republic Seabee.  The former will allow me to charter aircraft for troop movements, and the latter just because I love the aircraft.  :D

I have now completed the commenting out of unwanted aircraft and built a default EZDok camera set for Helicopters.

I have had a hardware issue develop with my throttles, so I need to re-configure them.

I also need to install the Shackleton and Hercules to test the home made Saitek instruments, and put the final touches to my Ardiuno code for my home made panels.  

So apart from installing FSInn  and FSCopilot, and sorting out TrackIR I am nearly done!

Update on the state of the rebuild so far...

Stage 6

1. Write Arduino code for home made switch panels
  2. Build Saitek Panel code for various Engine types 

3. Comment out the aircraft or aircraft paints not required (aircraft cfg/Panel=XXX)

4. Re try EZDok build.

5. If EZDok build is successful;

• Set up trackIR

Stage  6 of build completed

Stage 7

Stage 8

1. Backup of  build

Build completed.

Making the Saitek gagues is not as simple as it seems. Persevering, trail and error has payed off and I now have a full set of working Engine Gauges for one, two, three and four engined aircraft.

All these for Jet, turboprop and piston, Twelve gauges in all . So that job is done.

All i have to do now is to set up the buttons and dials on the gauges I hope to produce the following:

For all engine gauges:

Buttons (top to Bottom).

• Kneeboard
  • Panel 2

• Panel 3

• Panel 4

• Panel 5 

• Panel 6

Knobs (left to right)

• Aileron trim
  • Rudder Trim

Panel 1 has been left out as it invariably is the 2D panel.

For my other Instrument panel which has the PFD and will have the following;

Buttons (top to Bottom).

• GPS Clear all

• GPS Flight Plan

• GPS Terrain

• GPS Direct to

• GPS Enter

Knobs (left to right)

• GPS Inc/Dec Cursor
  • GPS Page Inc/Dec

Those in green are completed.

So, buttons and knobs to finish and Track IR to do, then Backup and it is done.

Ok, so now all is done in my list.except the track IR, that shouldn't take long.

However, my two homemade switch panels fall short of a full set of switches..... so I have decided to build a third one. (it is like painting the Sydney harbour bridge, this)

The frame is made and the paint drying on it so it is well under way,

I am putting on it the Panel switches, three helicopter switches and the Glider call and release buttons.  That frees up some of my Siatek instrument panels for more GPS buttons.

Now to put the cat amongst the pigeons:

Have you bought Steve's DX10 fixer yet?    What you squinting for; eye's bad?

A solution has been found to use multi-monitors ie: 2,3,4 or more.  Cross my hand with a half eaten Mars Bar and I will tell you..  :D  :D