• 7 months later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I couldn't resist posting this...

Not the brightest bulb in the box, based on the description.   Don't you think that flotsam in the form of a full suitcase might trigger some sort of investigation? Or, am I wrong in that full suitc

Gut wrenching photos Alan...... just looking at them makes me feel......oh god......excuse me.......... 

They should be able to determine if it's consistent with a 777 wing (or part of the horizontal stabilizer/elevator or vertical stabilizer/rudder).  If they're VERY lucky, the paint and perhaps a part or serial number somewhere in the piece might narrow it down to a specific airline or even a specific aircraft, but that's a stretch.

The article says it was covered with "shells" and apparently was in the water for a long time.

John

I can only hope this leads to an answer to this missing aircraft. Watching the news as I write this they say it has been identified as being a flap from a B777. How official that is yet unconfirmed.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/07/29/debris-washes-up-on-indian-ocean-island-sparking-mh370-questions/

Another article, with a better photo of the object. Someone - not quite sure who - is very sure that it's a 777 flaperon.

Not sure how the currents run in the Indian Ocean but this is a long way from the postulated crash site. Ocean currents can carry things a long, long way, and given an exact time frame, which we have, and a place found, which we have, it's possible that some bright spark might be able to back-extrapolate to a rough approximation of where it originated. That may validate - or not - the current search area.

John

EDIT: ...and another.

http://www.kmbc.com/national/debris-in-indian-ocean-checked-for-mh370-ties/34421312

JDA

They should be able to determine if it's consistent with a 777 wing (or part of the horizontal stabilizer/elevator or vertical stabilizer/rudder).  If they're VERY lucky, the paint and perhaps a part or serial number somewhere in the piece might narrow it down to a specific airline or even a specific aircraft, but that's a stretch.

The article says it was covered with "shells" and apparently was in the water for a long time.

John

BBC news reported earlier in the week that all aircraft parts have serial numbers stamped on them, especially parts of this size so this being the case you would like to think they can identify the part/plane.

You have to feel for those who lost loved ones on this flight as well. The wife of one of the flight crew was spoken too when this part was washed up and she explained that whilst this latest twist might bring closure so she can finally lay her husband to rest she has always had a hope he was alive somewhere which of course is doubtful.

Mike   

Another article with this interesting fact included...

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/07/31/mh370-investigators-evacuate-remote-island-fleeing-volcanic-eruption/

"Charitha Pattiaratchi, a professor at the University of Australia–the nation leading the search for MH370 in the east Indian Ocean–posited more than a year ago that, in 18 months, the plane’s remains would wash up in La Reunion. She notes at The Independent that MH370 disappeared 17 months ago."

Sounds like she nailed it....

John

• Like 1

This forum subject makes interesting reading over the 18-months since the Malaysian 777 went missing.

Perhaps this piece of wreckage will at last put to rest the conspiracy theories expounded out there, if not explain the the what & where of the demise of the aircraft.

Ray.

Someone earlier in the thread postulated that MH-370 was diverted to Diego Garcia by the US government, reasons and methods unknown, and would be broken up there and the wreckage deposited in the ocean at some other place to be discovered by searchers later.  This event will not disprove that particular "theory"...

John

Not the brightest bulb in the box, based on the description.

Don't you think that flotsam in the form of a full suitcase might trigger some sort of investigation? Or, am I wrong in that full suitcases regularly wash up on beaches in the Indian Ocean?

Open it, check for ID, report it to the local Gendarmes. Then burn it when they (the police) decide it's unremarkable.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

Oh my..

If that turns out to be a piece from MH370 it would be something of a game changer.. can't see it getting there from a crash site out in the south indian ocean without being washed ashore elsewhere on the way...

I guess it's plausible it could have passed the narrow strait between Sumatra and Jawa, but it doesn't feel very likely..

• Like 1

I believe they have already ruled it out as being from MH370.

It depends how many large aircraft have gone down in that area in recent years. That chunk looks fairly clean which I'd rules out any old Vietnam or WW2 wreckage.

It should be possible to determine conclusively if it's a 777 part and possibly, depending on presence and legibility of any labeling, whether it is from that exact aircraft, assuming the Malaysian maintenance records support that. It might also be possible to see if the remaining paint is consistent with that used on the Malaysian airliners.

All that may have already happened. It sounds like Andrew is privy to something I haven't seen yet.

John

All that may have already happened. It sounds like Andrew is privy to something I haven't seen yet.

John

Not so much privy to anything John, but I read a more recent article which had pretty much ruled it out as being from MH370. The news article you referenced pre-dated the article I read.

Excluding WWII and other older aircraft from the equation, this area has seen a few commercial aircraft (albeit smaller B737 types) go missing in flight over the ocean in recent years, Indonesian based airlines particularly. MH370 is still relatively topical so when any aircraft looking part is found the first inference is that it is a B772ER part.

Of course, when going back to the said article, I now can't find it. Time will tell.

Cheers

Andrew

This remains an interesting mystery - not the latest part found, but the entire saga of the disappearing triple-7. To borrow a format from the old Clue board game, I'm going with, "The Captain did it, in the Cockpit, with a fire axe (for the co-pilot) and the cabin altitude controls (for everyone else)." That may be totally wrong but it's the simplest scenario that fits the known facts. Everything else soon becomes more convoluted and sets Occam to spinning in his grave.

I posted the article, not because I think it's likely that the found object is from MH-370, but just because the whole topic remains intensely interesting.

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew. Indeed, time will tell. If they haven't already, sooner or later it will be determined whether that object is or could be part of MH-370, or if that can be ruled out. The latter would not surprise me much.

John

• 5 months later...

Headline:  MH370 was likely a mass murder-suicide by pilot

http://nypost.com/2016/07/22/mh370-was-likely-a-mass-murder-suicide-by-pilot/

Interesting.  The FBI, analyzing the hard drives from the pilot's computer found...

"...six deleted “data points” that had been stored by the Microsoft Flight Simulator X program in the weeks before the plane vanished, the magazine said.

Each data point records something about the simulated flight, including altitude, speed, location and direction. The deleted records showed that the captain’s simulated flight departed from Kuala Lumpur, veered over the Southern Indian Ocean, and then kept going to the point where fuel would be exhausted over an empty stretch of sea.

Search officials believe Flight 370 did exactly that, veering off course and then ceasing communications before plummeting into the water without a trace."

I'm going to repeat this, which I first posted on February 3rd, as my opinion of what happened...

"To borrow a format from the old Clue board game, I'm going with, 'The Captain did it, in the Cockpit, with a fire axe (for the co-pilot) and the cabin altitude controls (for everyone else).' "

• Like 1

The sad part about this, besides the deaths of the passengers, is this type of behavior by pilots will have to increase before the airlines will spend money to make sure their pilots are mentally healthy.

The Lufthansa pilot made the choice of a mountain rather than diving into the sea in the middle of nowhere, this made it easier to find the black boxes and figure out what happened...

Why make a mass murder suicide if not leaving any clue behind to have the world know about it ? I would suppose the idea would be to have your name written in the history books, if not you might as well commit suicide alone ?