AI Unstable payload for Carenado C208B Cargo Master

Hi Guys,

I have been out of the loop from playing Air Hualer...oh sorry... I mean running my Cargo business with Air Hauler for a while now. Any way, business was good until another project, flight simulation related, started to dominate my flight time.

But with my first post here, I just wish to clear up an issue I had when I was leasing the "Carenado C208B Cargo Master".

The plane was fantastic, except for the time I committed to a contract maxed with fuel and payload.The engines cut on take off approx 1000 feet A.G.L. But apart from that , flying the A/C was great.

The issue I actually want to discuss concerns the C208 Cargo masters flown by the AI, and the way they appear to load their payload. On quite a few occasions, if not all of them, I observed Cargo masters taxiing past me scraping along on their tails. The  resulting effect was fireworks and sparks shooting out from behind the plane rather noticeably, and front wheel assembly up in the air with no contact on the ground!

I found it more amusing than a annoyance, and thought I had taken some snapshots to post for evidence, but

it appears I might have misplaced.

Anyway , as the Carenado C208B Cargo Masters are quite popular with AH, I had to ask the question.... Has anyone else observed this strange phenomena, and If so has someone formulated a solution?

Look forward to some feed back, and maybe solutions.

P.S.

Thinking about what else might have caused this effect, No I don't recall having  altered the payload co-ordinates associated with this plane. Mmmmm.

Hi John (yet another one!) - and Welcome to Mutley's. :thum:

Maybe the problem lies with the Carenado C208 model? I don't think I've seen this happen to the default Caravan, but that's a passenger 'plane, not cargo. Maybe one of the guru's will come up with something.

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

If you wish to see an AI comedy show make an AH company using a freeware Blimp and/or BD5-j. AI's bounce the BD5s all the way down taxi ramps, and blimps jitter and bounce all over airfields randomly...they never hold still. I had fun for a while with an old AH company landing BD's at fields with blimps parked...often they would bounce over the runways giving me a cool obstacle course to land...pulling a greaser in a mini jet after ducking under a blimp makes you feel like a Top Gun...fun fun.

Thankfully AH doesn't record all that comedic crashing about as "crashes", or the repair bills would have been enormous.

RE: the C208...I wonder if the W/B section of the aircraft.cfg offers a clue. Most aircraft tend to set the reference datum position at 0,0,0. The C208 is:

reference_datum_position     =  16.2, 0, 0       // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
empty_weight_CG_position     = -18.0, 0, 0       // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum

I randomly glanced through several of my Carenados and most are not quite 0,0,0...but none that I looked at were as far out as the c208.

Is it possible to recalculate the Coorordinates in the .cfg to get stuff to reference to 0,0,0? I realize that would involve recalculating positions for Fuel, Loading Stations, Contact Points, as well as Engine Position and anything else with a positions reference...however would that cause problems with anything referenced in the .air file? And would doing all that work even adress the issue?

(fyi..the stock C208 ref is:

reference_datum_position     =  16.2, 0, 0       // (feet) distance from FlightSim Reference position: (1/4 chord, centerline, waterline)
empty_weight_CG_position     = -15.4, 0, 0       // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum

So if that one doesn't load on it's tail and also has a "far out" datum reference...probably doing all that work above is pointless)

Regadless of that oddity, I do love using the C208 cargomaster as well as the Grand Caravan...which also loads on it's tail.

Cheers.

• 3 years later...