Went to start up FSX today via my desktop icon  as usual. The FSX home page came up ok, but did nothing else  after about 10 mins.  I rebooted my PC  this time I started FSX via my programs page still no joy.

Then this message came up, " Flight Simulator cannot run because it could not write FSX cfg.

Any ideas why this happened and where do l go from here. :stars: Guys.

Cheers Mike

John can't find how to open the FSX cfg file,  but I am sure I was running as Administrator before as FSX  has been running OK.as from day one.

I have now added a second user name to try as Administrator on my PC. I then started FSX up. The FSX homepage came up, then the Licence which I accepted and nothing else happened just stuck on FSX homepage.

Chris is the file you mention the FSX cfg. file ?

Cheers Mike

Don't know for sure but would deleting the fsx.CFG and the fsx.CFG.txt file from the AppData folder help so after a reboot FSX will write a new one? The files can be found in your C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder.

On second thought, don't delete those CFG files, just move them out of the AppData folder to a temporary location in case they are needed for something.

Yes Mike, i was reffering to FSX.cfg

(i just saw this; in the future if you need a quick responce id sugest PM)

you can use notepad to view and edit FSX.cfg content

better yet follow Brett's advise right above my post

simply move fsx.cfg away from your user appdata folder and let FSX rebuild a clean one for you the next time you turn it on

Thanks guys for all your help will have ago after this w/e.as I have my two grandchildren staying over at the moment.

Cheers Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys sorry it's been so long for me to reply to this post, this is due to the following.

I tried to fix the problem,but with no joy.So I had to bite the bullet and call in a PC fixer. After spending  upto 3 hours with him pressing lots of keys,loading disks and opening loads of files etc we decided he would take my PC back to his workshop to run more tests.Two weeks went by he then brought back my PC with bad news. Both of my internal hard drives have bad faults on them along with something wrong with the motherboard. The good news he only charge me £30

As I have had this PC for 8 years now maybe it's time to replace the old girl.

Not looking forward to re-installing  my addons.

Cheers Mike