FSX closes after a few seconds on splashscreen.

Take a copy of your fsx.cfg then delete it. FSX should then boot up ok unless there's something seriously wrong, then it could be time for a re-install.

Good luck...

Joe

I get the same thing from my desktop when I take it to a Flight Sim club meeting and connect it to the overhead projector there, even as a "clone" of the main display. Both displays (the projector and a normal monitor) work fine, in any combination as primary, secondary or clone but when FSX starts up, it folds its tent a few seconds after displaying the splash screen if that projector is connected. Everything else I've tried to run works fine, but if that projector is connected, FSX won't run. You can imagine how welcome this is when preparing to give a presentation to a room full of flight simmers.

John

• 5 weeks later...

It is different.  When used with a laptop, the laptop just switches down to a resolution to match the projector and FSX starts and runs fine.  With the desktop the screen resolution also shifts down when the machine boots, so the Windows desktop and other programs display OK, but FSX starts, then goes away.  

John

If we did not have these temperamental shenanigans from FSX life would be boring..  :D

One of the best Q's though was "How can I get a better enjoyment  in FSX"?   = Divorce the wife..   :whis:

Possibly the projector resolution being different from the desktop monitor, John?

Regards,

pj

welcome Paul,

I recognise you as a member of a less friendly site than mutleys, your technical input will be welcome here, how about allowing access to your threads in your signature?

Golly, Nigel! Thanks for the nice welcome  :) !

Being a newbie on the revered site, I'm not quite sure I follow your question....... which "threads"? ..  or are you saying that the links in the sig don't work?

Aaaaaahhh... tested, and the light comes on.. I will just go and create new links instead of copying old links - which I presume is the issue..... Duh! Thank you sir!   :stars:

Regards,

pj

Cheesh... It's a Dropbox response to a web vulnerability that affects shared links:-   (that I've just learned about)

While we’re unaware of any abuse of this vulnerability, for your safety we’ve taken the following steps to make sure this vulnerability can’t be exploited:
  • For previously shared links to such documents, we’ve disabled access entirely until further notice. We’re working to restore links that aren’t susceptible to this vulnerability over the next few days.
  • In the meantime, as a workaround, you can re-create any shared links that have been turned off.
  • For all shared links created going forward, we’ve patched the vulnerability.
  • Additionally, if you’re a Dropbox for Business customer, you have the option to restrict shared link access to people in your Dropbox for Business team. Links created with those access controls were not affected.

We realize that many of your workflows depend on shared links, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We’ll continue working hard to make sure your stuff is safe and keep you updated on any new developments.

So... I'll see what i can do with new links......

Thanks for the HU, Nigel. What a strange situation...

All the best,

pj

Edit: Done: DropBox now no longer accepts spaces in filenames..

pj

John - a coupla questions if I may 1). what resolution is the Desktop running at? 2). What is FSX running at on the Desktop? 3). What is the normal resolution of the projector?

4). What is the normal resolution of the laptop?

Can you copy (from the laptop's fsx.cfg) the resolution settings from the [Display.Device.yada.0] section(s) over to the Desktop pc's fsx.cfg, before you connect to the projector, then shut down, connect to it, and then restart the Desktop?

Regards,

pj

The desktop computer shifts to 1280 X something (don't remember) when it boots while connected to the projector.  I don't recall the native resolution of the projector, but whatever it is, the laptop dutifully downshifts as soon as it comes on if the projector is connected.  To be clear, both machines shift to the projector's resolution and run things OK.  The only difference is that FSX will run on the laptop when connected that way and the desktop will not.  Other than that, both start up at the lower resolution of the projector if connected to it and run fine at that lower resolution. 

My desktop is normally connected to two monitors at home with a combined desktop of 3360 X 1080 (1 each 1920 X 1080 and 1440 X 900).  I normally run FSX at 1920 X 1080 (native resolution of my main monitor) X 32 in Windowed mode.  

I think the laptop is 1140 X 900.  I don't normally take both to the meeting - one or the other.  I guess I could get the laptop resolution settings and put them in the desktop at home before taking the desktop setup to the meeting. 

More and more the desktop is the desired platform when I do a presentation because I have so much other software installed on it, even though it's a bigger deal to unplug it all and haul it to a meeting.  

Also, for what it's worth, and to further muddy the water, the laptop runs Vista (  :faint: I HATE Vista!!! ) and the desktop is a Win7 machine.

John

Golly, Nigel! Thanks for the nice welcome  :) !

Being a newbie on the revered site, I'm not quite sure I follow your question....... which "threads"? ..  or are you saying that the links in the sig don't work?

Aaaaaahhh... tested, and the light comes on.. I will just go and create new links instead of copying old links - which I presume is the issue..... Duh! Thank you sir!   :stars:

Regards,

pj

Thanks for that Paul I have downloaded them again, just to be sure I didnt miss anything , being a dx10 convert of several years now i have followed to some degree what you have written elsewhere, however the politics and management there just rub me up the wrong way, here at mutleys we are much more laid back , well most of the time :)

Aaah! Two monitors...

I reckon you might try this, John: copy the fsx.cfg to a new "Normal Monitor" folder, and then also to a second folder named "Projector Monitor", then, using the current fsx.cfg, remove the 1920 x 1080 [Display.Device.yada.0] entry altogether, leaving the other entry - 1440 x 900 as the only entry, then save it as you would normally do, and then also saving a copy into the 'Projector' folder. Don't fire up the Desktop until it's hooked up to the projector.

Take the two machines to the meeting (so you can use the laptop in case this 'fix' doesn't work), hook the desktop up, fire it up, and see what happens. This should work. 

When you get back home (at 01:00hrs) swap back the fsx.cfg (that you put in the "Normal Monitor" folder) back into it's normal place in FSX:-

"C:\Users\[your username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg",   so that you have the two-monitor system back again.

I like your Vista sentiment, but I don't think it makes any difference: I reckon the projector is seeing two device entries, can't handle two at a time, FSX doesn't like it's attitude, and so bombs.

I hope this works as my ego will go down the tubes if it doesn't.... (sigh)

All the Best,

pj