It does raise an interesting question though - If I produce a custom photoscenery area with high LOD night textures - would they override your base layer??

EDIT: The answer is yes, my custom photoscenery night textures override your NEUK ones...hmmm will have to look at that!

Also worth noting that photoscenery like Earth Sims Isle of Man also overrides the base layer within a small area close to the a/c- you get the ground light splash effects on the mainland UK and far away on IOM just not closeup...

NEUK_IOMcompatibility_zps108e89a9.jpg~or

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In defence of NE, it only adds about 325Mb to VAS usage according to my tests.   I spent some time last night tweaking performance settings in FSX and Monitoring VAS. Following some advice about cha

To Chris Bell our thanks eternal, For our wonderful flights nocturnal. We take in the sights of his brilliant lights. I suppose that make us, Fly by nights.     Sorry.

Joe, what other addons have you got running at the same time? K

Im sure AS guys have been following our thread closely and will update the manual accordingly

if you make night textures embedded into your day PR

the night LOD extent will carry to your day LOD's extents

in general; this is unnecessary added data to render a night texture from LOD13 to 16-17

this is simply adding unnecessary and very much useless amount of data; because you don’t have clarity to zoom at night anyway

this is why I mentioned on AS forum the conformity issue which GenX is clearly practicing

Im sure AS guys have been following our thread closely and will update the manual accordingly

if you make night textures embedded into your day PR

the night LOD extent will carry to your day LOD's extents

in general; this is unnecessary added data to render a night texture from LOD13 to 16-17

this is simply adding unnecessary and very much useless amount of data; because you don’t have clarity to zoom at night anyway

this is why I mentioned on AS forum the conformity issue which GenX is clearly practicing

Yes you're probably right there Chris, embedding the night PR into the day probably isn't great practice for my own scenery :P

Looking at the IOM as I picked it as an example, the photoreal night bgl's there all have LM in the title so it wouldn't be difficult to deactivate them at all. At the end of the day the user gets to choose what's more important for them, light splashes, or higher quality photoreal. I can't argue with choice at all can I! :)

It's a very minor thing anyway, IIRC Mathjis posted some time ago on a thread about NE Germany that it was best to deactivate photoreal night textures while using NE, so I should have thought about that first, my fault... Cheers K

core of NE design is the flexibly

bear in mind the night texture is not dynamic and will always remain static

so your main view will not change at all throughout the levels

only the amount of 3D lights you will see around you

Hi Chris.

Your software looks great, how does it sit with Orbx globle and vectors?

Following this thread on pirates, it is shocking to see the rpirates impact of a pirat on your sales. Someone earlier implied that you should always try to keep ahead of the pirates. I couldnt agree less! Your software is your intellectual property, the cost of defending it can be too high. If hackers can defeat 128 bit security, and it seems they can, what chance have the small software vendors. Microsoft and the like can spend a forune software security and on leagal actions against the pirates. As a small producer I am guessing you cant do either. Sad to say it is the small vendor who always comes off worst. It dosent seem right to me that to enter the market on a low budget, you should have to be forced you spend your meagar profits defending something that is already yours.

Piracy is theft. In the UK, like everywhere else, theft is a crime, but so is receiving stolen goods. It is about time that the users of pirate sites were procicuted for the crime of receiving stolen software.

Thank you John

its is an unfortunate reality that almost crushed our efforts; who know this isn’t over yet

to positive things

NE works flawlessly with Orbx Global and Vector

as these product simply enhance the accuracy of fsx roads and objects

NE simply compliments those enhancements by placing our lights perfectly along these new roads etc

once NE is active over any ORBX regions; FTX light will automatically be disabled for you; while remain active in uncovered NE regions

when NE is placed over PR; the real world image ties the ends; and all lights makes even more sense mimicking real world

perfectly illustrated in Kevin's PR image above

• 3 weeks later...

That's a very good example Chris.

I now have NE for the British Isles, running in FSX, but I had a few performance issues. (ran out of memory immediately)

I have had to turn down my scenery settings and not use the highest settings for NE but the results I did get were breathtaking.

To be honest I was disappointed with the performance considering my machine spec.

What is most important to run NE at the best quality? CPU or GPU speed/memory? What are your specs? Have you managed to get it running at full resolution with no memory issues?

Cheers,

Joe 

What an Honor Joe, Thank you

NE usually have VAS usage of 250mb - 350mb in extreme dense areas

We can only slice the 4GB cake so much with all of today’s addons

If your running thin in that space; it will not help to increase CPU or GPU

to be honest; when it comes to scenery playing together with NE i don’t have much benchmarks

i develop on a plain vanilla fsx platform; no add-ons or external software

i usually get constant FPS on my dev box with all NE regions

with that said; NE is extremely modular and can be fitted to your specific sim

whichever light intensity you choose to fly with

your ground Nightmap always stays the same; regardless of the level you select

its only when you come down close; you will notice the differences in 3D light bawls density around you

there are allot of things you can turn  off at night to free up resources towards NE

the following thread may be of interest

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/81193-night-environment

i find the tool SIMStarter to be very useful and reliable

for setting up diffrent startup profiles

including scenery configs atc

makes life so much easyer

and faster getting into my preconfigured flight environment i want to fly in

check your PM as well for further information

Dear Chris and Kevin,

You have given me much food for thought, I need to investigate  :)

@ Kevin, Running programs were FTX Europe, Active Sky Next and using RealAir Duke V2.

• Like 1

I think performance issues with any addon are a function of both the hardware in use and the add-on combinations. Is there any way of outputting and analysing the VAS useage at any time, (not just a global total we can get that from prices explorer but how this is cumulatively affected)??

*wonders*

I have finally got round to running with Night environment UK and have also run into performance problems.

My frame rate has dropped from 40 to just 4  and flying anywhere London gives me an out of memory error.

I run FSX with Orbx Global, Vectors, England, Scotland and Wales and very little else in the way of add-ons, things like Radar Contact and Plan-G are on a WideFS linked PC 

If i cant solve these problems I am going to have to uninstall NE.  :unsure:  :( .

did you read through this post and the linked threads?

there is no reason you should drop to 4 fps

did you go through the manual?

there's only so much i can assist with

any advance support will have to go through AS directly

they have the knowledge and DB of third party addon

im far from advising when it comes to other addon's

You guys seem to be hauling so much weight

To allow NE to work; you will need to unload some of these at night

There is just no way around it; you have 4GB to work with

It doesn’t matter how you cut it; eventually you will top it off

I ran with GenX (night textures turned off) only with RevolutionX installed from a recent review...I didn't have too many frame rate issues but I did have an OOM, possibly because autogen was on full with RevX? (Virtually no other addons running and no weather) I did experience probs with RevX before NE as well so it could be more down to other influences, and I've just not had time to test it all out. K

EDIT: I had frames issues at first but that was when I HADNT turned off the GenX night option, just make sure there's nothing running like that first...

• Like 1

Have been using FTX EU within FSX for a few weeks (no NE) and found my VAS usage very heavy compared to PS. London gave me 700MB remaining and Stutters with AG at Very Dense, all other settings at Max. This was on my earlier 970 six core processor, HT off. Stutters decreased with a reduction of the AG slider to Dense

Used Gen-X with RevX some time ago. Similar VAS usage but no OOM and no noticeable stutters. 300MB remaining seems to be the point of no return and time to close FSX and restart.

Have just started upgrading with a new CPU & MB. Have it running and OC on the bench. Just need to install it into the tower now. Hopefully it will perform better under the same conditions.

Looking forward to installing NE onto the new system when I have it all running sweet. Will have to wait a while before replacing the Graphics Card though...but no rush as I do not use P3D as yet.

• Like 1

In defence of NE, it only adds about 325Mb to VAS usage according to my tests.

I spent some time last night tweaking performance settings in FSX and Monitoring VAS. Following some advice about changing the level 3 yellow lights for level 1 yellow lights, I now have a much smoother running sim and excellent results.

This is taken at dawn, departed Southampton EGHI heading north with clear skies.

Addons:

FTX EU with vector lights enabled.

Night Environment with Base, level 0 and level 3 active.

My frames are pegged at 30 and I consistently hit that mark. The only major dip I got was when I turned back to the airport, which is the FTX version it dipped to under 20 but came back up again.

ne-.jpg~original

As Chris said, we are playing with a lot of overhead in the UK but it is controllable if we are not too greedy with other settings  :)

I now have a profile set for night flying using the excellent SIMStarter program linked above, this takes care of the modified settings I use and the results are worth it.

Thanks for your input Chris  :thum:

• Like 2

Thank you Joe

im glad to learn everything is sorted out for you

even though i dream light bawls and colors washes

im amazed every time,a single pic worth a thousands words.

just beautiful!

I installed SIMStart and created a night profile and have managed to sort out the performance issues I have been having.

SIMStart allows you to start FSX using a number of "profiles".  These are the profiles allow you to start FSX or P3D with a pre-configured set of settings.  

So I have a maxed out day configuration with Night Environment switched off, and a night configuration with NE on and a load of CPU hungry items such as boats cars disabled and my other scenery settings set to lower levels.

At night you cant see a load of effects and scenery in FSX so why have them use up resources when they don't need to. 

NE is such a fantastic addition to FSX that once you have it you wont want to fly without it. So full marks to Chris for NE and for the developers of the Free SIMStart. - You can donate to the makers of SIMSmart, and as it is such a great utility I intend to do just that.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words John; im very happy to hear that you're good to go now

further more; all our people are accounted for now ;)

i can sleep better knowing that

now lets see them pics gentleman