Happy St. Georges day to all my fellow Englanders!

1116104.jpg

England, My England

WHAT have I done for you,

England, my England?

What is there I would not do,

England, my own?

With your glorious eyes austere,

As the Lord were walking near,

Whispering terrible things and dear

As the song on your bugles blown,

England -

Round the world on your bugles blown.

Where shall the watchful sun,

England, my England,

Match the master-work you've done,

England, my own?

When shall he rejoice agen

Such a breed of mighty men

As come forward, one to ten,

To the Song on your bugles blown,

England -

Down the years on your bugles blown?

Ever the faith endures,

England, my England:-

'Take and break us: we are yours,

England, my own!

Life is good, and joy runs high

Between English earth and sky:

Death is death; but we shall die

To the song on your bugles blown,

England -

To the stars on your bugles blown!'

They shall call you proud and hard,

England, my England:

You with worlds to watch and ward,

England, my own!

You whose mail'd hand keeps the keys

Of such teeming destinies,

You could not know nor dread nor ease

Were the song on your bugles blown,

England,

Round the Pit on your bugles blown!

Mother of ships whose might,

England, my England,

Is the fierce old Sea's delight,

England, my own,

Chose daughter of the Lord,

Spouse-in-chief of the ancient Sword,

There's the menace of the Word

In the Song on your bugles blown,

England -

Out of heaven on your bugles blown!

William Ernest Henley (1849 - 1903)

Good choice of sentiment Joe. We don't seem to rejoice in our national identity as others do, Scots, Welsh, Irish for example. Perhaps we are too modest, (some might say we have much to be modest about).

I'm trying to sum up the English psyche but can only come up with a list of contradictions which I suppose is the human condition worldwide.

One thing I have noticed is the erosion of good manners for which the English had a reputation.

Anyway, that's my farthings worth and I can't complain, as I type this a blackbird is singing outside, suppers on the go, life is good.

Happy St Georges Day. :thum:

True Brett too true.

Now, Saint George slayed a dragon didn't he.

Hmmm... that give me an idea,

Where's my hammer?

Aha, here it is.

Kate... KATE! Come here, I've got something for you..... :yikes:  :stars:....... :secret:

We don't seem to rejoice in our national identity as others do, Scots, Welsh, Irish for example. Perhaps we are too modest, (some might say we have much to be modest about).

Happy St Georges Day. :thum:

It is because we are not permitted to any longer, it is against the law to fly the union flag outside your house, we are now at the bsck and call of all the sickos, illegal immigrants et al who have far more rights in our country than we have.

thats my Mr angry bit for today  :)

Happy St Georges Day!

Its sad about politeness standards in modern times.... I know let's drink a glass with a good old 18th century toast!

God save The King and death to the....... on no wait a minute :th_blush:  

It's ILLEGAL to fly the Union Jack? Can that possibly be true?

No guns, no air-band scanners, no flying the national flag - good Lord.

Well, a belated happy St. Georges day to all my British friends anyway. Keep calm and carry on.

John

@ John, it is not illegal to fly the Union Flag or the flag of St. George. The PC crew would have it that the flag of St. George could be seen as racist against our minority communities that have their roots elsewhere (No comment). Still, the Union flag will have to change if the Scottish independents win their vote in September.

I have an air-band scanner both hand held for shows and a base unit with a dipole aerial for home use, I have it running most days whilst working.

We have rifle and gun clubs and I wouldn't mind getting involved after my experience firing your guns at the range, what we don't have is the equivalent to the second amendment (Unless you are a criminal) and I am happy with that.

Joe

I think with a small amount of investigation you would find the true facts, suppression of flying the Union flag or the flag of St. George would surely be the end of the identity of this great nation. You just as well wipe our heritage from history and heroes like Churchill, Brunell, Darwin, Shakespeare, Newton, Nelson and Thatcher should never have bothered to make our island nation one of the most respected in the world!

However, we are streets behind the freedom of choice and speech that you enjoy John but you get used to it and make the most of other benefits of living in a beautiful country that is England.

Joe

I think we should get minority status for Hampshire and keep all the 'grockles' out! :D

With you on that wholeheartedly, Joe.. shall I pull up the drawbridge now?

Was given a metal St Georges Rose pin when we landed at Heathrow on Wednesday (we obviously looked English enough even after 30hrs in the same clothes). Even though the fat cat politicians have given this country away over time to those who often show little respect for it, I still miss this beautiful green and pleasant land whenever i'm away.

Happy belated, my fellow Englanders :)

We have rifle and gun clubs and I wouldn't mind getting involved after my experience firing your guns at the range,

We do have shooting ranges, but these days they are very restricted.

Gone are the days when individuals like my father [a marksman in the army] could nip to the range and fire .44 cal magnums. He wouldn't be happy, but am I? Absolutely.

I think we should get minority status for Hampshire and keep all the 'grockles' out!   :D

Don't forget us in Surrey, we are the only thing between Hampshire and the dreadful expansionism of London. It falls to us to stem this tide, ever giving ground to this monster.

A bit like a leafy 20th Century Belgium.  

@Joe, be careful when slating grockles, you will be one of ours very soon. :D

Just make sure you have a tartan scarf when you cross the border.

They won't let you in otherwise.

I fly the Lion Rampant flag in my garden all year.

I know I'm English, but where I live now, is the very first place where I've felt I am home.