• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard it flies like ****

I second the Admin's only option, for the reasons Alan stated as well as the fact that I thought it was more impartial and focused on the theme.

Since I didn't participate in the Holiday Theme contest (I blame lack of image editing software and an often Grinchly demeanor around the holidays ) but the entries all made me break a smile, I wante

Contest Voting.  I don't know about anyone else, but since the new format for voting started some of the anticipation has gone out of the competition. When it was just the admins casting their judgement we all waited, with equally baited breath as it were, to find out who'd won. Now that we're all casting votes and the numbers are visible to all, there is no mystery. We can all see from early on who's won and it comes as no surprise. Any new contestant coming into the fray can see just how high some have got and possibly, thinking they cannot compete, don't bother entering.

If I might make a suggestion to change it slightly, either

A/ Go back to the original Admins only vote.

B/ leave all voting until the last day of the competion. Then and only then should we all go in and cast our votes. This would ensure that everyone voting would have to take a last view of all the pictures before casting their votes. Any likes ticked before that date would be dissallowed. (this could be stopped by the admins disabling the "like" box until the day of the vote.) .

If any member is unable to vote on the last day due to any number of circumstances, they could contact the admins via a PM and ask the admin to cast their vote by proxy on the day.

It may just be a way of bringing some of the mystery back to the competion. What are your thoughts guys?

• Like 2

I enjoy the voting, and like seeing favorites getting votes as the contest goes on. It gives an indication of what the voters./viewers are liking, letting you take a final shot at crafting a winner, as well as later on getting better ideas to try. I also enjoy silently rooting, or pining, for personal favorites as other's votes stack on, or not.

Regarding 'sticking to the theme'; it seems that the voting thus far has been favoring those that do that, so that aspect doesn't appear to me to be broken or require tweaking at least (and this is pure speculation but...it also seems as though some of the admins wait to cast their votes till the end...and those final "bump ups" generally seem to favor those that indeed cleave to the theme).

/2 cents

• Like 1

Hi Al and Marcellus!

Thanks for your feedback I really do appreciate it.

I can see that the final vote option has more suspense and excitement for the contestants.

The idea of the public vote was to create complete transparency in the awarding of the prize, that's not to say I have ever had a complaint about the judging.

What I will do is put this decision to our members too. Howabout I create a poll to continue as we are or go back to me and the Mrs picking the winner?

BTW I will try and close the current competition tomorrow or Saturday.

Joe

• Like 2

In keeping with the theme, here's a real-world photo. I only posted the link because it's copyrighted. Look closely - there are two airplanes there, a 737 and an A380.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/376109/n446wn-southwest-airlines-boeing-737-700/

John

Nice shot John.

I see mind boggles like this while working around SFO occasionally. Seeing the "small plane in the background" suddenly cross in front of what I thought was the foreground plane scrambles my perspective for a second or two until the brain catches up with the eyes to how mahoosive those A380's are. :D

I prefer the voting the way it is now. Let the forum members decide the winner.

I enter whether or not I think have a chance of winning. Sometimes I just like sharing a screenshot. Seeing who is leading in the votes does not deter me at alll. Often times, the one who was leading does not end up the winner sometimes someone else pulls ahead. I like the popular vote.

Last month I thought there was a pretty good turnout in the contest. I think the number of entries in a given contest has more to do with the theme than anything else.

You should have included McDonell-Douglas in the current contest. I got a ton of those. :)

I wonder if they would actually be admissable, after all the they are part of Boeing now so the MD-11 would certainly have been part of the Boeing line up.  However i think the comp is for purely indegenous designs by either company.

You should have included McDonell-Douglas in the current contest. I got a ton of those. :)

I wonder if they would actually be admissable, after all the they are part of Boeing now so the MD-11 would certainly have been part of the Boeing line up.  However i think the comp is for purely indegenous designs by either company.

So how about a717?  Maybe not an MD-83, but a 717 should be ok.  Same aircraft buy marketed as a Boeing

• Like 1

I would judge that it has to have a Boeing name  ;)

Thanks for your feedback Richard, I will put this to the public vote soon (Before the current contest ends)

• Like 1

Air show announcers are calling the FA-18 "Boeing". Not an airliner, of course, but originally a M-D design and obtained by Boeing in the purchase.

John

Of course before MD got hold of it it was the Northrop YF-17. :D

• Like 1

Or, we could do like parents of kids nowadays, and give everyone a prize just for entering! You know, like a participation award. No winners or losers. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  I won't go into how wrong that kind of thinking is. ;)

Or, we could do like parents of kids nowadays, and give everyone a prize just for entering! You know, like a participation award. No winners or losers. :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I won't go into how wrong that kind of thinking is. ;)

I was only kidding Brett

Oh, I know Richard and it gave me a big hearty laugh. :thum:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The secondary comment was probably ill timed and not aimed at you but just recently I saw a young child work his butt off to win a competition and noticed the questioning look on his face when everyone won the same award as he.........nuff said. :)    

• Like 2

Oh, I know Richard and it gave me a big hearty laugh. :thum::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The secondary comment was probably ill timed and not aimed at you but just recently I saw a young child work his butt off to win a competition and noticed the questioning look on his face when everyone won the same award as he.........nuff said. :)

I know what you mean. My wife tiold that my nephew just graduated. I aksed what from? He's ten years old. She said fifth grade. I refused to acknowledge it. Graduations are for high school and universities. IMHO.

Probably not possible within the restraints of the web designer but I would like to see the members vote and the tally not visible. My 2cents. :)

Hi Brett,

I see where you're coming from but it wouldn't be feasible as any change would be site-wide so would make the like button useless in other fora. 

Nice idea though  :thum: