I thought I would just inform you all of a few observations that I have made today by changing a few settings and by modding fsx.cfg

I was using the aerosoft heraklion airport as the scenery and I initially used  DX10 and the carenado c337

using dx10 I firstly  turned on buffer pools in the .cfg and this reduced .fps considerably by at least 30% this I had expected from certain gurus on the internet so I turned it off again and recouped my lost fps , I must addd at this point this is with all graphics sliders maxed out, and with text max load of 4096 and terrain lod of 6.5 in all cases.

I then tried to use full page instead of windowed mode and received again a hit of 30 if not 35% on fps, quite surprised at this as it was much quicker in windowed mode although the graphice in full screen were slightly better and finer.

I then turned to DX9 and rebooted

and was surprised to find in DX9 I was getting the same frame rates as dx10( when in full screen mode)   in windowed mode however when I went to full page from windowed the was little or no difference in FPS . as there had been in dx10

I then changed the sea setting from maxed out to low 2x however there was little difference in fps  so maxed it out again

adding ai traffic of 50% did in all cases gave a hit on fps understandably.

so for me it is dx10 inwindowed mode as it has been for some time as on my p.c. it gave 22fps whereas in fullscreen mode or DX 9 i was getting aound 14 fps at this airport

of course this is by no way a full tweak  but I was interested to see what certain easy, basic  changes did for fps performance without played dramtically with the graphics quality

FSX is so weird and inconsistant isn't it ?!  :)

For me, windowed mode (in DX9 or DX10) is an absolutely no-no that will half frame rates.

So interesting to see your getting best performance in windowed, with DX10.

Mind you, I am one of those weird people that have an ATI video card.... (not through choice, meh!)  :)

DX10 mode is a strange one for me. I see so many posts by people claiming that FSX looks and performs better in DX10 mode than DX9, but that is simply not the case on my PC. I have used Steve's DX10 Fixer, but the graphical quality simply cannot match what I get in DX9 mode with REX Essentials active. I also noticed no difference in framerates, apart from a possible decrease when using the PMDG 737NGX. The AA and AF never matched the superb quality that I get with DX9, the water looked rubbish compared to REX Sparkling, the terrain graphics in the distance sparkled or shimmered more, and there were no strobe or navigation lights visible on AI planes (although it's possible that this has been rectified to some extent by the latest version of the Fixer).

In short, the only advantage I have noted with DX10 mode is that it reduces the risk of an OOM.

as you said Chris it is so strange to see similar p.c's performing so differently. Whilst I will be the first to admit that the sea in DX10 is not as good as DX9 , no matter what I do in dx9 the sea "shimmers " or looks unreal in the distance, however mountains and land is smoother for me in dx10, plus frame rates are 50% higher in dx10 compared to dx9. but what I cant figure is why one person gets better rates in full screen mode when othes get it in windowed mode. WEIRD. And why you cant get the benefits from DX10 that I get.

Now if you think all that is weird , try P3D, that throws a whole new set of variables at one. for example , I am currently  writing a review on some France VFR scenery which is very heavy on the graphics card, but I still manage to get mostly 30fps with it (20's in dx9)  , however P3D wont run it at all it just crashes, and this from a program that has been modofied to give more headroom VAS wise.

There's nowt as queer as a p.c.!

• Like 1