I have just gone back in time I bought P3D

Well as no buggers would give me any idea what P3D was like, I took the plunge

and found myself back in time , just like it was when I first bought fsx and hardly anything from FS9 would work in it

First impressions?? why did I bother!!!

However most aircraft installers have problems, my carenado 337 has a transparent cockpit  when seen from the inside but solid when seen from the outside the carenado b36 seems ok though. and the aerosoft airbus works fine so all is not lost.

scenery wise none of the ftx uk products work, i tried to copy across the files as well, but it wasnt right, however france vfr photoscenery works a treat

Are there only negatives or are there some pros?

the stock scenery of the Uk is much improved over stock fsx , colours are richer and just better all round flying out of a botched up ftx soton which worked after a fashion, coasts though are as dismal as ever.

However :

The clouds are a massive improvement you fly through them without a magic clear patch all around you!! brill!! and they have depth as well I should imagine fog will be something else .

and the clouds have shadows which are not only on the ground but on the plane as well as you fly under them, very realistic!!  and I haven't installed REX yet.

its also rather neat being chased by ones own shadow

The shading is too strong, cockpits are like those in X plane , too dark, but this maybe my set up

Frame rates by and large are  similar to fsx

Is it worth getting? hard to say but probably not just yet , but definitely in a year or so when the devs get their fingers out and update stuff to utilise this new version, but I will keep trying stuff on it, I have already had a good "go" at the .cfg  file which made stuff better

I will post some pics later

however the more you play with it the more you appreciate it just like FSX was

• Like 1

Can't keep a good man down - credit for taking the plunge, Nigel!

By the way, which course are you studying?!?

If the Dodo-Sim 206B worked in P3D I'd be tempted...

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

Not sure (i don't have P3D), but i think there is a converter tool or something like that? And you need that to convert planes and scenery? Or i misread something, somewhere?

Not sure (i don't have P3D), but i think there is a converter tool or something like that? And you need that to convert planes and scenery? Or i misread something, somewhere?

there is some converter tool out there; not sure how it performs

I’m pretty sure there will be many issues with HDR textures not showing

i don’t believe the tool has the ability to map the new tones correctly without manual intervention

If the Dodo-Sim 206B worked in P3D I'd be tempted...

manually exported, works fine 100%!

Your move :)

• Like 1

I wonder when they are coming out with 3.0? :D

There is the fact that P3D2.2 looks better and is supposed to run smoother and I have read they did fix most of the bugs that were known in FSX. By far the cloud shadows is the coolest looking. :cool:  

What aircraft and scenery I can move over easily is very important to me. To get me to jump over, it would have to be trouble free in that area. I have already spent plenty of time messing around with this program, I would love to more flying than putzing around for a change. I would also really like to see if the shader can be adjusted because a few of the images I have seen so far, it is kinda dark for my tastes. There's still time, probably when I build a new computer I'll get it. 

I guess we should remember too that naked P3D can only be fairly compared to naked FSX - no add-ons.  It you're doing a head to head between P3D and FSX with a boat-load of add-ons, it's hardly a level playing field.

I suspect the add-on situation will improve over time.  I think many things work now, some requiring a little tinkering.  Some don't - PMDG-anything, for sure.

John

I guess we should remember to that naked P3D can only be fairly compared to naked FSX - no add-ons.  It you're doing a head to head between P3D and FSX with a boat-load of add-ons, it's hardly a level playing field.

I suspect the add-on situation will improve over time.  I think many things work now, some requiring a little tinkering.  Some don't - PMDG-anything, for sure.

John

that is the point exactly John , hence the title of this thread, one cannot compare P3D with the fsx that we use nowadays , when was the last time any of us looked at the stock fsx scenery?

But it is like windows 8 , whether we like it or not we are going to have to go with it eventually. hence getting on at the ground floor.

There is no doubt from what I have gleaned , that P3D will go 64 bit , and IMHO it is only when they do that , that all the devs will come out of the cupboards and make a whole draft of stuff for P3D

We have already seen stuff made for P3D v1 doesnt work on version 2 .2 etc so this must piss off a load of devs  because no sooner do they start fixing something the goal posts move again.

P3D with dx11 and 64 bit and a few more fixes will give a large stable  base for everyone to design stuff for, so LM stop pussying around and get stuck in.

BTW there is a lot to like with P3D 2.2 even with the limited amount of a/c which work and lack of ftx scenery. From what I can see all photoscenery will work fine by simply copying it across into the add on scenery file.

i am purposely running P3D with all the sliders maxed out , perhaps my biggest complaint so far is that the contrast , is too strong , shadows can be too dark, like xp10 , no doubt there is a way of toning that down , hopefully I will find that with experimentation.  Frame rates are pretty good at this high setting but it is difficult to make comparisons frame rate wise , with fsx as we are running so much in fsx under the covers Hence my attempt to use soton airport to see if there is a difference but  as I cannot get the complete soton by ftx to work on P3D that will have to wait.

There does seem to be a kind of smoothness that we dont get in fsx except perhaps when using dx10 , there is much less jerkiness when turning an a/c on the ground or when flying,

so there you have it , my observations so far

TTFN

I guess we should remember to that naked P3D can only be fairly compared to naked FSX - no add-ons.  It you're doing a head to head between P3D and FSX with a boat-load of add-ons, it's hardly a level playing field.

John

that is the point exactly John , hence the title of this thread, one cannot compare P3D with the fsx that we use nowadays , when was the last time any of us looked at the stock fsx scenery?

But it is like windows 8 , whether we like it or not we are going to have to go with it eventually. hence getting on at the ground floor.

There is no doubt from what I have gleaned , that P3D will go 64 bit , and IMHO it is only when they do that , that all the devs will come out of the cupboards and make a whole draft of stuff for P3D

We have already seen stuff made for P3D v1 doesnt work on version 2 .2 etc so this must piss off a load of devs  because no sooner do they start fixing something the goal posts move again.

P3D with dx11 and 64 bit and a few more fixes will give a large stable  base for everyone to design stuff for, so LM stop pussying around and get stuck in.

BTW there is a lot to like with P3D 2.2 even with the limited amount of a/c which work and lack of ftx scenery. From what I can see all photoscenery will work fine by simply copying it across into the add on scenery file.

2014-5-1_10-11-33-605.png

2014-5-1_11-47-24-894.png

2014-5-1_14-37-13-558.png

2014-5-1_17-5-49-792.png

2014-5-1_14-14-57-993.png

i am purposely running P3D with all the sliders maxed out , perhaps my biggest complaint so far is that the contrast , is too strong , shadows can be too dark, like xp10 , no doubt there is a way of toning that down , hopefully I will find that with experimentation.  Frame rates are pretty good at this high setting but it is difficult to make comparisons frame rate wise , with fsx as we are running so much in fsx under the covers Hence my attempt to use soton airport to see if there is a difference but  as I cannot get the complete soton by ftx to work on P3D that will have to wait.

There does seem to be a kind of smoothness that we dont get in fsx except perhaps when using dx10 , there is much less jerkiness when turning an a/c on the ground or when flying,

so there you have it , my observations so far

TTFN

Not a P3D user yet, but I think most FTX stuff should work in P3D.

But with the older releases you will need to download a new installer with option to install for P3D added.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ralph, seen your videos I started to watch one but had other comittments so will watch on another day. in answer to your question I tried the PMDG a few months ago but it had issues with the fmc, it flew ok but I was also having issues with P3D at the time which I have now ironed out, I will have to give it another go and see what happens

I have just installed P3D this weekend, together with the PlayHorizon GenX photoscenery, UK2000 airports, SIM720 airports, VFR London X, Quality Wings BAe 146, and RealAir Simulations Beechcraft Duke V2. The vast majority of these were installed with the help of the Estonia Migration Tool. No problems encountered with the installations, but I did have to upgrade FSUIPC (installed with the QW 146) from version 4.92 to 4.934f to solve a CTD problem. I haven't checked P3D out properly yet, but I managed to load the RealAir Duke at the VFR3 Version of EGNV Durham Tees Valley, so that's a start :) I have already noted the nice shadow effects in the cockpit and cabin, and the fact that my aircraft has a shadow of its own at last! I still have to install the Earth Simulations scenery packages (including Treescapes), and also ORBx stuff. I will probably wait for the proper P3D installers for the latter.

EDIT: On a side note, I can't seem to get the "Look (reset to forward view)" command working in P3D. I use the hat switch on my CH Flightstick Pro to look around the VC, but I like to be able to press a key to set the view to directly forward again. This worked fine in FSX, but it isn't working in P3D :huh: Can anyone help?

it will only have  a promising future when it goes 64 bit, anything else is time wasting.

Not sure why you think that Nigel, it looks like they have made a huge amount of progress so far using 32bit. Seems like everyone using it loves it, from what I am reading and I am pretty close to taking the plunge myself just for the shadow effects alone. Now I am not close to being as computer savvy as you and most folks here but wouldn't going to 64bit just add more stuff to a program, placing all of us back to where we all were when FSX first came out, pretty much having not enough processing power? 

Brett mark my words there are one or two benefits from going P3d however if you want a sim that works well use fsx in dx10 mode

after the initial interest of p3d i found i was monumentally underwhelmed and now hardly use it, fsx in dx10 will run circles around p3d.plus there is so little that works properly in p3d

I agree with most that there is no future in fsx, but it works, and IMHO up till now LM have only tweaked fsx a bit but avoided the main issue. it already uses much more VAS than fsx so that will limit what you can run inside P3d and my main problem with p3d is the ctd's due to lack of available VAS. Yes one day it may be great at the mo??? NON

That is why 64bit is so important, no memory issues!!

I thought I read that they have no plans to move to 64bit, so there must be a reason for it and we won't see that out soon. Steve's Fixer is off the market and isn't a straight install so I don't plan on going that route right now so that's of the table. Is everyone really having memory problems with P3D, I am not aware of that. I guess you would have to adjust the settings to work with whatever machine the user is running just like with FSX.

I think I will wait as well.  I have been thinking about getting P3D for a while, but as I have a 64 bit PC I think it would be worth the wait.

Also by the middle of next year I think we will understand more on how things are going with both P3D and also what is happening with Dovetail games in respect of the recent news with their tie in to FSX.