I have just gone back in time I bought P3D

to give you an everyday view of things I have compared p3d with fsx this is using no add on scenery except for ftx southampton and where mentioned ftx england and the carenado 337, now as we know all p.c's are different and will produce better or worse figures but the trend will be the same.

Normally I keep my sim controlled at 30fps but for the test i removed the frame limiter and went unlimited.

P3d with soton and eng on the ground inside the plane 23fps outside view from runway with airport in background 29fps flying over train sheds 30fps 

this is with some of the slider cut back to the middle to aid fps

so then i fired up fsx albeit with all sliders maxed out !!

inside 18 fps   runway view 23 fps   over the sheds   27fps  this shocked me to be honest and I was scratching my head  when I realised i had recently been testing something under dx9

so changed it back to DX10

inside the a'c 32fps runway view 40 fps  and over the sheds showing 50fps

if i then removed ftx england and just used ftx  soton  over the sheds i was getting 60 fps

for me the main problem with P3D  is that I cannot use the pmdg ngx, it installs but the fmc just locks up

similarly the aerosoft airbus extended has issues as well but i can use the hs146 avro100 without a problem , so at the moment, for me, p3d is only for low and slow flight

I have just removed version 2.3 and gone back to 2.2 as it created as many new problems as it cured

But it is like windows 8 , whether we like it or not we are going to have to go with it eventually. hence getting on at the ground floor.

If the technical upgrades of Windows 7 will stop in January 2015, security updates are planned until 2020. No hurry to go to Windows 8, I even think we can totally  skip it like we did with Vista ...  :)  

But it is like windows 8 , whether we like it or not we are going to have to go with it eventually. hence getting on at the ground floor.

If the technical upgrades of Windows 7 will stop in January 2015, security updates are planned until 2020. No hurry to go to Windows 8, I even think we can totally  skip it like we did with Vista ...  :)  

I have given up trying to get FSX or P3D to work with windows 8 or 8.1

Nigel

I'm running win8.1 with no major issues (just few)

i develop on 8.1; i had 8 installed on my Yoga when i bought it

i have upgraded it to 8.1 (i always reinstall a new factory installed computer)

i refuse to look back, i still have few win7 around; whenever i get on one of these

it feels like i went back in time; with the interface being so much less intuitive and friendly

i can't go back to 7 now; and i assure you it works fine

I'm willing to bet you've installed it in the default location the installer suggests

and not as advised to install outside the system root drive (C:\)

W8 feels awful :( hate the interface I'm afraid - I'm with BF being a complete dinosaur...win7 works and I dont want anything else!

As for P3D I can't get it to run in any way an acceptable performance right now with any autogen buildings so I may take up a less stressful pastime, such as delivering Richard Dawkins impressions and lectures to Islamic militants in the Middle East... :P

i have to admit i have done allot of "work" on my 8.1 platform before i was happy with it

to be fair; i also do the same thing with W7 and XP

i untangle the knots the MS engineers leave in the OS

i call it free wilily OP, when I'm done i have full control on my system

none of the security alerts, restrictions or nag windows;  no FW, no AV, no indexing,  no updates

and no unneeded process is working without me knowing it

to give you an idea; up to about 9 months ago

i refused to  let go of my XP SP3!

W7 wasn't good enough for me, W8 didn't do it as well

8.1 has something very intuitive in it, it's fast smooth and snappy

no annoying question or confirmations; I just work with no interruption's from the OS what so ever

once i got rid of the store crap and other annoyance; I'm very happy with it

won't go back to XP  now or switch OS for a very long time

I also hanged to XP SP3 - in fact my old PC is still running -  and I spent quite some time installing and optimizing my Windows 7 in the same way on my new home built PC last November. So far I'm happy with it. All the aero is gone, unnecessary and unwanted processes also and it surely doesn't do any update by itself either.  Since I don't use any touch stuff, no need to change for the time being. :)

According to the last stats I read recently, Windows 8 and 8.1 have gone down from 12.54% to 12.48% of total OS market share (incl. Linux and Mac)  between June and July. W7 is still above 50% while XP is slowly going down under 25%. So we are quite a bunch of dinosaurs !  :)

windows 8.1 with a lot of the bs removed as you say is snappy but it wont run FSX for very long it throws a wobbly like win7 does with the wrong uiautomationcore.dll or whatever that file is called. I still keep it up to date but use it very rarely.

I do keep trying to like P3D but it is difficult when my fsx under dx10 runs so well, I am starting to get the same feeling as I get when i try XP10 , using Joes words, I dont know why I bother!

Hi Nigel

i get that annoying memory popup sometimes for no apparent reason, once i hit cancel it goes away

that’s the only bug I've encountered with Win8.1

keep in mind the platform is not designed for ones need specifically

therefore all the messing around and removing unneeded process and application's

untangling permissions; and freeing up the pc to do as you wish

i have no doubt that in the near future this memory thing will get resolved

in the meantime; i can live with that knowing it's a win8.x issue

all it is really is one of us lazy bums post this issue to MS; and they will release a fix for this

its an active platform and FSX is supported; i don't see a reason why they won't want to fix their product

what i like about 8.1, it sums up all of today's technology in a nice fast platform

they learned their lessons from win 7; and implemented a much more sophisticated platform

you do need a newer pc to fully enjoy win 8.1

i couldn't run win7/8 on my older laptop

well... i could; but it wasn't running right

• 3 years later...

Interesting to read back through some of these old threads four years later and see that the sky really was not falling after all.  64-bit P3D and Win10 have made all this sound kind of humorous, though no doubt early 32-bit P3D with few/no add-ons and the Win 8/8.1 debacle did cause a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth at the time.  

Given a little patience and riding out the bumps in the road, most things get better over time.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree with you John.  I run P3D v4.2 on a windows 10 64 bit platform and it is the best sim I have owned to date.

There are a few issues with older add-ons but the best vendors are doing their best to bring their add-ons into the v4 world.  Just Flight are probably the best at doing this, unfortunately Aerosoft doesn't seem to be.  I am waiting for their Lightnings to show as being V4x compatible.  I think I might have a long wait!  :(

Edited by J G