Aircraft.cfg modifications for Air Hauler

I' m not home, right now (not 'till 17th Dec), so can't help you immediately. I have a C47 POH that lists all the numbers for that aircraft. It's hard copy.

I may be corrected on this by those more "expert" than myself, but you only get one .cfg file for each aircraft loaded to FSX. I have not tried to write an entire separate folder in "Simobjects/Airplanes" to see if I can have, say, a DC-3 with Wright engines versus one with P &Ws. This means that when you diddle the W&B for one all of the liveries benefit. I used the numbers from the POH and my DC-3s lift 6400. I just can't remember whether or not I messed with the fuel capacities to get there. I know for a fact that I changed the C-46 fuel capacity. Mostly because my New Zealand AH company flies that one and it's a small country.

Later today, I can load the DC-3 and copy the pertinent portion of the .cfg file for you to peruse. Right now SWMBO is champing at the bit to get out to the local market.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're going to do a lot of this, then you might want to invest in a piece of software called "FS Panel Studio" See: http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ You will only (really) be able to edit 2D panels,

Everts operate a fuel transport company - very important in the far North. Of interest, is that they list a 12,000 lb useful load for the C46, something that I tried (without success) to achieve for P

OK Jeff, Here's the details on the (Stock FSX) DC-3:

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight = 26200                         // (pounds)
empty_weight     = 16145                         // (pounds)

[fuel]
LeftMain =  -22.55,  -6.7, -3.0, 202.0,  0.0    //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), 

Unusable (gallons)
RightMain=  -22.55,   6.7, -3.0, 202.0,  0.0    //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), 

Unusable (gallons)
Center1  =  -22.55,   0.0, -2.7, 200.0,  0.0    //Longitudinal (feet), Lateral (feet), Vertical (feet), Usable(gallons), 

Unusable (gallons)
fuel_type = 1                                //Fuel type: 1 = Avgas, 2 = JetA
number_of_tank_selectors = 2                    
electric_pump=1

So:

26200 MTOW
-16145 EW
-  3624 FUEL  (604USG * 6.0Lb/USG)
_______
   6431 Capacity with full fuel

The C-46 looks like this:

// MODDED FOR AI - FUEL CAPACITY REDUCED FROM 8438#
// TO 5700#
// CARGO CAPACITY UP FROM 4800 TO 7796 (+340# - 2 CREW X 170#)
// RANGE AT ECON CRUISE IS NOW ONLY 1000NM

[General]
atc_type=CURTISS
atc_model=C46
editable=0
performance=See handling notes
Category=airplane

[fuel]

//Mod for AI - reduce range to increase payload max fuel is 5700#=950USG
//= 1000NM @ econ cruise - 2000/30"/1000PPH/178Kt

//Under FARs max fuel is 1406 USG in six wing tanks = 8436lbs
//LeftMain  = 0, -2, 0, 703, 0
//RightMain = 0, 2 , 0, 703, 0

Under Mod max fuel is 950USG in six wing tanks = 5700lbs
LeftMain  = 0, -2, 0, 475, 0
RightMain = 0, 2 , 0, 475, 0
fuel_type = 1 
number_of_tank_selectors = 2                    
electric_pump=1

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight = 44000 ;also MLW after demilitarisation
empty_weight     = 30164 ;cargo configuration with no seats

//44000-30164-600-8436=4800
44000-30164-340-5700=7796 

reference_datum_position     = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
empty_weight_CG_position     = 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

station_load.0 =  " 340, 0, 0, 0, crew"      //"600, 0, 0, 0,  crew"     
station_load.1 =  "7796, 0, 0, 0  payload"  //"4800, 0, 0, 0   payload" ; this is max cargo with max FAA fuel and no seats.

Hope this helps.....................

Well, helps some and confuses some. lol I was mainly looking for certain C-47 and/or DC-3 information along with DC-6A info. However, I had forgotten about the C-46, forgot about that plane and would be better for getting over mountains. You have a C-46 you can recommend? Freeware or payware doesn't matter but I'm not rich either but do save up for a plane I want bad enough.

I guess to explain what I mean by the different folders and configs, the Just Flight DC-3 Legends of Flight, with add-on, puts what looks to be 4 folders of DC-3 versions and 5 folders of C-47/AC-47 versions. They all use the same cfg, just in all the different folders. Same weights, speeds, etc. for all the planes. Reason I knew the cgs for all versions were borrowed from the FSX DC-3 is when I imported it into Air Hauler and saw the 95 knot cruise speed rather than the JF documation cruise speed of 161 knots. *facepalm* That's when I looked at the cfgs and saw the original FSX MOI's commented out using the double slashes //. That's all fine for them to use the FSX version as reference, don't mind that since really I bought the models rather than a cfg file. Just left me baffled as to why they changed the empty weight to 18,190 pounds but leave the max gross/takeoff weight as 26,200 pounds like the default FSX aircraft.

Maybe I'm being too picky and not able to see the forest for all the trees in the way or something, lol, but it would seem to me that it would kill the weight of any possible payload by doing that and effectively hampering the aircraft's use in things like Air Hauler. With that other thing, FSpassenger or whatever it's called, you can get away with the plane as is since you're just moving people around on paper. Can't do that in Air Hauler as AH pays jobs based on weight and not passengers. But then, there is the cfggen.exe file in there which resets the cfg back to purchase version. So I can guess they expected people to modify to their hearts content and I guess that's good that they included that utlity since it seems they went for more of a feel thing I guess with the cfg rather than detailed numbers.

Anyhow, so I got the DC-3/C-47 product I am working on to get in AH with as much real info in terms of the weights as possible because I don't wanna cheat and say "Oh yeah? Well my DC-6 can haul 457,000 pounds of cargo..." if you know what I mean.  ;-) I'm trying to keep things within the ballpark. The L049 package I bought from JF is great because it includes the cfg exe file to set the cfgs for AH and I didn't have to do any work. Now, the DC-3 and 6 are making me work, haha.

For now I'm using the Wikipeda informatoin for the JF C-47 aircraft I'm planning to use in AH which is the 18,135 empty, 26,200 "loaded", 31,000 max gross/takeoff since at least the max weight lines up with Boeing's site (current owners of Douglas stuff) and military sites all agree on for the C-47. I just couldn't find a bonafide reliable empty weight but the Wikipedia info looks reasonable so I will just have to use that for now. I would like to get engine numbers for Wright and PW engines to put in as well since the JF package includes models with both the Wright and PW engines. So why not use them right?   ;-)

But let's look at the AH numbers now, the C-47 with the 804 gallons of gas using Wiki info produces a cargo capacity of 8,041 pounds, again this with full fuel. That sound reasonable? A book on NATO and airlift/transport history does have a table showing 2,700 mile range with 4 tons of cargo for the C-47, I'm guessing that is US miles and most likely not nautical though the table doesn't specify. It does, however, specify that it is the range with that corresponding payload. Hmmm, but that's 2,346 nautlical miles. That can't be right or is it? I was under the impression the C-47 with a load like that would have had a much shorter range.

Can you tell I'm not a C-47 pilot?   :)

Something I found online from a pilot's operating manual. I can see now the reason for the 26k weight always being used. That was normal operating weight.

Weight in pounds ....................................................................Overload...............................Normal

Weight empty. (including radio, 517 pounds) .......................................................................16,621

Useful Load

a)  Standard Cargo Arrangement

Crew - 3 at 200 pounds each .........................................................................................600

Fuel - Normal (540 US Gallons - 450 Imp Gallons) ......................................................3,240

Fuel - Maximum (804 US Gallons - 670 Imp Gallons).........1,584..........................................

Oil - Maximum  (58 US Gallons - 48.4 Imp Gallons ) .......................................................435

Cargo ...........................................................................................................................5,000

Trapped Fuel and Oil ......................................................................................................104

Gross weight ..............................................................................................................26,000

There are two other loadouts listed but those are for the passenger/troop transport version and the other is for the air ambulance version.

It does list a "Maximum Loaded Weight, Safe Flight" as being  26,004 pounds. Interesting! Also, above info with full load of fuel it shows the excess fuel over 540 US gallons as being overload weight. Naturally I've read lots of stories where a C-47 hauled upwards of 74+ people out of dangerous areas in an emergency situation but obviously under normal operating conditions the loads were pretty conservative according to the manual. Doesn't mean they couldn't go as high as 31,000 pounds as many sites list, just that I suppose they felt that since that was an overload situation the flight characteristics might become risky.

Also, this points out a flaw in both FSX and AH. FSX will allow for overloading the aircraft, AH will not. FSX only uses max gross weight rather than adding in a third option to set a normal operating max weight separately. One or the other would have to be overhauled to overcome such a problem and I can see why it affects AH the way that it does. I suppose the issue now is to create the CFG based on how I want my virtual cargo company to operate its DC-3/C-47 aircraft and whether to risk overload flights. I may just use normal loading similar to above or possibly disable the 4th fuel tank and use that weight saved for more cargo capacity. That way I can stay within realistic safety flight operations which I'm sure the civilian cargo operators have to obey no matter how many tons they want to stuff in a plane.   ;)

As an extra aside, have a look at this information I found from an old 60s aviation periodical that lists most every plane in use at the time by most every company, this will take you to where the DC-3 information is at.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1960/1960%20-%202687.html

**EDIT**

Just wanted to add something else for any other DC-3 fliers. In reading through more of the manual it turns out the manual recommends that the max overload weight be limited to 29,000 pounds gross and only for long range flights in whch you will be burning off at least 3,000 pounds of fuel in order to get back to the max safe landing weight of 26,000 pounds. It also goes on to state that overloading of the aircraft should NOT be done if unsettled or turbulent weather is to be expect during the flight. I reckon that settles it, I'll build my DC-3/C-47 cfg around the manual information I posted above and see how that works out.

Hey Jeff,

Search for this title in MH, AirHauler thread: C-46 For Possum's Flying Service. Repeat of the details offered, above with som pics of the airplane.

Sorry M8, searched all through MH looking for where I got the info on the C46 which is a freeware aircraft. I'm pretty sure the original reference came from MH. Seems to me it was part of a discussion on loading the stock FSX autopilot into other aircraft. There's at least one other AH company flying one. Look up S.A.D., they are using one with Buffalo Airways livery.

Have fun! You can make a lot of money with the C46 as long as you are flying sub-1000 NM routes.

That's cool! Possum's Flying Service even sounds vintage, hehe. I searched up what you were talking about, good looking plane and great flying skill it appeared too.

I will definitely have to give a look for a good C-46 to use, lot of freeware sites out there, I'm sure someone will have one. May also look around for payware stuff too since I'm looking to spend some money this holiday season while all the sales are going on, done checked JF but they don't have a C-46 that I saw. Bummer. Anyways, saw you commenting about the C-46/C-47/DC-3 stuff, lol. The C-46 was obviously favored by the military due to its much larger cargo capacity and higher altitude performance, performed better over "the hump" in the CBI theater where the C-47 often suffered, from what I've ready anyways, with no margin for error since it's single engine ceiling was far lower than many of the moutaintops and generally poorer high altitude performance compared to the 46. DC-3/C-47 at best had the R-1830 (1200hp) while the C-46 had the R-2800 (2000hp) that resutled in a much higher fuel burn and more expensive operating costs. That's why the 46 fared well with the military where money was no object and the 47/DC-3 excelling with civil operators since the bottom line is everything.   ;)

I found some C-46 information you might be interested in, both from a historical perspective and pilot operation perspective. Here's a pilot's manual for the C-46 I stumbled across, no doubt will be a treasure of good info.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11327612/C46-Manual

History channel site for the Buffalo operator version of the craft with load of pics and history. Also, will post a link for the Everts Air Cargo folks since they fly one too and post specs online, they also have a history section too.

http://www.icepilots.com/fleet_c46.phpand http://www.evertsair.com/pages/aircraft/c46.php and http://www.evertsair.com/pages/aircraft/history/c46_history.php

Everts operate a fuel transport company - very important in the far North. Of interest, is that they list a 12,000 lb useful load for the C46, something that I tried (without success) to achieve for Possum's Air Service. Maybe I should look into it again. Some vigorous searching on the Internet will yield a C46 or two that Everts has dumped in the weeds over the years.

• Like 1

Hehe, I hear ya. That's kind of the rut I'm stuck with on the DC-3/C-47 I have been working on. No matter the plane you gotta either sacrifice fuel load or cargo load because in most example you cannot ever go maximum on both.  :-/

I think I have settled on a cfg and settings for the C-47 for the most part. Did some test flying with it last night with some success while figuring out some things. The biggest thing holding me back now is deciding to use the manual's normal operating loads of fuel and cargo or whether to go with the manual's full potential overload weight. Learned a lot researching all this, for example... the C-47 has 4 tanks normally of 2 mains and 2 aux tanks in each wing box area between the engine and cabin. DC-3's that only had 3 had the aux located in the left wing box area with nothing on the right. Being they were so close to the centerline of the plane probably didn't throw off lateral balance very much. Manual I have thankfully showed a diagram of where the oil and fuel tanks were, with station numbers! Being prior military I remembered that the station numbers are just inches from reference datum. So, the main tanks are centered at fuselage station 240.5, which is 240.5 inches. Dividing by 12 to convert to feet for longitudinal location in cfg file would mean it was 20.04 feet back from the tip of the nose. Laterally was a guesstimate but Microsoft was pretty close as it does look to be close to 7 feet from centerline going outboard, the schematic view of the actual locations didn't include station numbers unfortunately but the MS/FSX numbers for lateral and vertical looked close enough using eyeball method. I also found lateral station number for centerline of engine, which is 111 inches from centerline, the MS/FSX numbers for that part were spot on exact. The longitude numbers looked to be in the ballpark eyeball wise as the picture I was looking at, it was a sampler to sell the plans/schematics book, anyways, it was cut off and longitudinal center of the engine wasn't in view. I may eventually buy that book, haha, if I can even find it because the Facebook page for it led to a broken website that isn't currently active, ugh.

But yeah, I gotta decide to go with the full fuel, 29,000 pound overload weight which would give just a touch over 7,000 pounds cargo room that matches up with some historical information stating the typical load at 3.5 tons though some sites say 4 tons, which is doable by offloading fuel and is apparently the standard haul for their Berlin Airlift operations in which they were consistently carrying 3.5-4 tons. 7000 would be close enough for me. Other choice is to go with the manual's safe flight, no restrictions loadout which is 540 gallons of fuel and 5,000 pounds of cargo. Either would be fine but, sigh, decisions, decisions, haha! Now to calculate all the fuel ranges based on cruise settings, etc.

**EDIT**

At least some of this is easier than that L-188 fixation I tweaked. Couldn't find any good and freeware schematics so I basically made my own by taking a scale drawing then enlarging with an image editor to get the scale I wanted, think it was 1 inch = 10 feet. Then measuring out all the centerline locations for the engines, tanks, etc. giving them station numbers and putting all that into the config. Also found a cargo planning chart for the L-188 and that made things easy for the cargo locations and it also listed max weights for those cargo positions making it even easier to get a more realistic config. If I remember rightly, when I first downloaded the freeware plane it would sit on its tail if you loaded it a certain way, such as more cargo than fuel. Seemed they were using fuel weight to counter the cargo weight. Found that out the hard way in AH when I was first playing it and put the plane in and got to where I could lease it. Loaded it up and when I went to fly the load it was one repetitive crash over and over. That cost me over a million in repairs and quite a few points of reputation before I finally got FSX shutdown and aborted the job in AH. I spent the next few days after that doing nothing but fixing that plane, now it's a dream. Pretty much any configuration, within reason, is a stable plane as it should be, lol.

• 5 months later...

I am wanting to maximise the use of my A2A cessna 182T in Airhauler and wondered if anyone could advise of the aircraft.cfg changes I could realistically make to simulate removal of the seats etc. I noticed a 182 referenced on the first page but the A2A version seems to have more stations. I have shown the default A2A Weight and balance below. 

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight =3110.0
empty_weight =1901.00000       // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from specified datum

reference_datum_position = 0, 0, 0
empty_weight_CG_position = 0.361, 0, -0.6
empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 2550
empty_weight_roll_MOI = 1650
empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 2800 //3675
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0
CG_forward_limit = 0.000
CG_aft_limit = 1.000

max_number_of_stations = 20
//st.number n+1     lbs,  long,   lat,   vert
station_load.0 =  0.00,  0.4,   -0.05,  0.00, Pilot
station_load.1 =  0.00,  0.4,   0.05,  0.00, Pass. front R
station_load.2 =  0.00, -2.69,   -0.05,  0.00, Pass. rear L
station_load.3 =  0.00, -2.69,   0.05,  0.00, Pass. rear R
station_load.4 =  0.00, -4.6,   0.00,  0.00, Baggage A
station_load.5 =  0.00, -6.19,   0.00,  0.00, Baggage B
station_load.6 =  0.00, -7.27,   0.00,  0.00, Baggage C
station_load.7 =  0.00,  5.18,   0.00,  0.00, Lubr. Oil
station_load.8 =  0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x9
station_load.9 =  0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x10
station_load.10 = 0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x11
station_load.11 = 0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x12
station_load.12 = 0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x13
station_load.13 = 0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x14
station_load.14 = 0.00,  0.00,   0.00,  0.00, x15
station_load.15 = 0.00,-18.00,   0.00,  0.00, mechanics
station_load.16 = 0.00, 50.00,   0.00,  0.00, used
station_load.17 = 0.00,-50.00,   0.00,  0.00, used
station_load.18 = 0.00,  20.00,   0.00,  0.00, x19
station_load.19 = 0.00,  20.00,   0.00,  0.00, x20

I concur with Brett...I don't EVER touch A2A .cfgs. They are too "accurate" to mess with, at least that is my fear...that messing with anything in these birds will bork the "realism". Also, there are staion loads that are completely unfamiliar there...they probably relate to fluids and such.

It "probably" won't kill anything to reduce the minimum weight to reflect removing seats...but, I'm not sure bout that, so my AH A2A Cherokee seats get loaded up, and under, with cargo. :)

Also, the changes mostly only effect your AI pilot use of the planes. You can overload the plane if you wish (put in a very light load of fuel or empty tanks, pack on the cargo, enter FSX, and add fuel to the tanks when the Fuel and Weights window pops open).

I don't use the A2A bird for AI's...it isn't a very profitable plane anyhow, so I rarely use AI's in anything smaller than a Caravan.

Very good point chaps. I think I'll leave well alone and look into tweaking things like the DC3.

I already run the Cargomaster variant of the Carenado Caravan :)

Million.jpg

Cargo.jpg