banner.jpg

Just published is my review of the Accu-Sim Cherokee 180 for FSX/P3D/P3DV2 Published by A2A Simulations

If you believe the hype then this should be perfect trainer for new pilots as well as experienced ones.  Read on... to see how I got on.

Spot on Joe, it's an absolute must have, great review. Only quibble I'd have is the value for money rating. For the number of hours I'll end up putting on this thing (only 8 so far) it'll easily be the best value for money a/c I'll buy, so I would give it 10/10 :P

Thanks for your feedback Kevin, it had a 10/10 for everything but as a dual fsx/p3d user I felt aggrieved to have to spend $70 for it so it could not quite get the award for excellence.

If the price is not a concern to anyone then 10 it is.

Cheers,

Joe

A comprehensive review - 10/10  ;)

I'm still trying to decide which of A2A's GA releases I prefer; the Cherokee or the C172. It seems almost churlish to place one beneath the other, but as the Cessna's cockpit is a bit bland (accurately so, but 25 shades of grey ), I'd have to plump for the Cherokee. And if I could only keep one payware add-on aircraft, I think it would also be the Cherokee. It is simply wonderful.

Hi Paul,

It really depends on wether you prefer to fly high or low wing. I prefer the low wing as I get better vision on turns especially when doing circuits and keeping tabs on the runway! 

The Cherokee comes with the latest Accu-sim update whereas the c172 will (probably) need a patch but to be honest I don't own the C172 trainer yet.

ATB

Joe

Hey Jack 

I actually wrote the review about 6 weeks ago so can't quite remember but I will check it out. Most of the details for the A2A manual come straight from the owners manual which I am sure have a copy of somewhere

What would you expect it to be Jack? About 124? This is the 180hp engine version.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

124 knots is correct for this aircraft, even then you'd be pushing to get that in the real world. The Arrow has a very similar engine (same model and rated horsepower but fuel injected) with the added bonus of a variable pitch propeller and retractable undercarriage and that cruises at 130 knots; so 124 for a fixed gear, fixed pitch prop Cherokee is very generous!

But yes, "by the book" it's 124 kts, around 143 mph at 75% rated power. I assume this is what A2A have modelled it after like you say

As an interesting side note, all of the Cherokee POHs were published at a time of enormously overestimated figures. This is part of the reason the CAA introduced the idea of the 1.33/1.43 distance safety factor (ie multiply all takeoff distances by 1.33 and all landing distances by 1.43), as pilots really struggled to meet the distances specified in the POH. In fact, it is a legal requirement in the UK to apply these safety factors for public transport flights! (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20130121SSL07.pdf).

One last thing, you wrote "At sea level, the take off roll with 1 notch of flap is around 800ft, you can take 10% off that distance using full flap and maximum effort". Usually takeoffs in the Cherokee are flapless on a long runway, and 25 degrees of flap (2 notches) is used for shortfield takeoffs. Using "1 notch" (10 degrees) for takeoff is usually an erroneous carryover by Cessna pilots as they are used to this (the Cherokee has the much less effective simple flap as opposed to the Fowler flap seen on most Cessnas and hence more is needed upon takeoff).

Sorry to bore you, I do love flying the Arrow and have since become very passionate about the Pipers!!!

Jack

I should have asked you to do the review Jack! (But I didn't ;) )

Thanks for the info, I had seen 124kts somewhere but Andy has picked up on my mis-calculation, hence my reply.

When Brian and I flew out of Inverness recently the instructor only advised only 1 notch of flap due to the wind speed and direction so I was referring to my own experiences.

This sim really was true to the real thing in my view, have you tried it yet?

Cheers... Joe

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately I don't have A2A's Cherokee, if they were to bring out an Arrow version that'd be fantastic, it shouldn't be too hard to develop as it's pretty much the same airplane as the one in the review with a couple of extras!

When/If they bring out an Arrow version, I will definitely buy (or review ;)) it!

Great review Joe, nice screenshots and light animation too. :thum: Having the aircraft has me agreeing with you all the way.  :hat:

All my other aircraft are getting dusty since I got it. :D This is simming as it should be and I place it right up there with PMDG products and the Majestic Dash 8 except at the GA level. I also have a feeling that a GA twin or something with more power and longer range will also be released within the year. Yea! 

One tip to remember is to switch tanks more often then noted in the manual, as there is no cross-feed and the weight of the fuel in the wings will affect your flight when not using the AP. ;) Wanna get lazy and not do the walk-arounds, that will be something that you will end up paying for once you get in the air. :stars: Another tip to remember with A2A planes, in general, is to make sure you have the latest updates installed as they are not included in the downloads. Don't forget to check out all the repaints, inside and out, available on their forum too. 

I, of all people, actually think the price is worth it compared to other stuff out there and what you actually get.(never thought you would hear Brett say that, eh. :D ) Although they will never tell you this straight out, maybe I shouldn't either, I have a definite feeling that the Academic version would work fine with the Professional version of P3D. I think the Pro price is a reflection of it's use. 

Thanks for the feedback Brett, I can't remember the recommended frequency of switching tanks, I think it is every hour but we switched tanks after about 30 minutes when fly the real thing at Inverness.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks for the feedback Brett, I can't remember the recommended frequency of switching tanks, I think it is every hour but we switched tanks after about 30 minutes when fly the real thing at Inverness.

Cheers,

Joe

If I remember correctly, I think the manual said every 20min. It guess it would also depend your flying habits too, pushing the limits will empty the tank faster if your in a hurry. ;) I usually switch it as the needle reaches the next measure tick on the gauges.