FSX - Recording my flight and upload to You Tube

Hi All,

I have spent a lot of time with my slow XP machine trying to record my FSX flight and then uploading to the internet.

I have tried out most of the video capture software that are free or free trial and they ALL hit the FPS and drop it to around 9 FPS. This is unworkable!!!!!

So back to the drawing board and then revisited the FS Recorder web site. If you go to the download page your in the wrong place, you need to go to the Forum page and look for the download link of FS Recorder Alpha version 2.17 which has the video rendering option built in.

You then use FS Recorder to record the flight data and then render the play back and this is saved as a wmv file.

I found the easiest way is to use Microsoft Movie Maker in XP to edit and or add sounds and upload directly into You Tube. A 3 minute video takes about 20 minutes to upload.

You can see an example of my work here...  

Cheers, Michael.

Hi Michael,

The movie is very smooth, I didn't realise FS Recorder movie function was so good.

MS Movie Maker is used by many of our members and is great for experimenting with video.

So back to the drawing board and then revisited the FS Recorder web site. If you go to the download page your in the wrong place, you need to go to the Forum page and look for the download link of FS Recorder Alpha version 2.17 which has the video rendering option built in.

You then use FS Recorder to record the flight data and then render the play back and this is saved as a wmv file.

I found the easiest way is to use Microsoft Movie Maker in XP to edit and or add sounds and upload directly into You Tube. A 3 minute video takes about 20 minutes to upload.

Hi Michael, yes that's what I found as one of the secrets of smooth recording in FSX!  :thum:

FS Recorder only records the FSX flight data and when you render using the FS Recorder renderer its very smooth. So if your Flight Sim runs with stutters, you wont see these in the FS Recorder replay and subsequent render, since the FS Recorder does not record the stutters, only the data. In the render, its optimised just for the data only.

My system is old now and will stutter like mad over cities, London especially. But with FS Recorder its almost smooth.... It really is a lovely bit of programming, FS Recorder that is. :)

Unfortunately FS Recorder will not record sound from FSX, so I often use FRAPS as well as FS Recorder. Then at the edit stage use the sound from FRAPS as a splice.

This is rather fiddly and needs careful timeline editing, but can be done.

But there is a further problem for budding Spielberg's. When you view uploads on You Tube the actual You Tube replay can have stutters! Also it depends on peoples Broadband download speed. So its never ideal.

Best Regards

David

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments. Its become apparent to me recently that You Tube does mess around with the quality of video and sound. Its time to look for an alternative site to upload videos to, maybe Daily Motions, Vube or Vimeo? Any recommendations please?

Cheers, Michael.

Tried Daily Motion as an alternative to YouTube, don't bother the picture quality is not as good as YouTube and it seems to buffer a lot when my internet is being hammered by kids. YouTube seems to operate a lot smoother under heavy load conditions.

Cheers, Michael.

Michael, I use Vimeo a lot. The delivery is reasonably smooth and they don't modify your size or aspect ratio. There are some very good flight sim videos arranged under Gropups and the search facility works much better than YouTube, I think.

I've used Screencast-O-Matic a lot for video capture and find it good on framerate. But you must choose your editor carefully, otherwise this stage can introduce jerkiness in an otherwise smooth recording. I also use FRAPS (registered version) which is best when your cpu-gpu combo is up for it. I guess an (old) XP machine can't be all that fast?!?

Keep posting your videos - they're entertaining! :thum:

Ciao - Dai. :old-git:

Hi, 

Thanks for all the information. I loaded a test video up to SimTube and it takes forever and several days later still waiting to be able to watch it. Have emailed them to find out how I delete my account.

Vimeo looks like it may work although I have tried to register it seems to guess an incorrect email for me and after several attempts of trying to sign up I am now blocked from their serer.

Emailed Daily Motion to find out if they provide music to add to my video upload, awaiting a response from them as I write.

YT seems sooooooo much easier to me.

Cheers, Michael.