I'm seeing a strange effect in the on-screen FSX menu. Has anyone seen this before? The screenshot is the top left corner of my FSX (window mode).

i-gh8qDcM.jpg

Any ideas as to what's causing it? It is not happening all the time and I'm not able to correlate it with any particular aircraft. Doesn't affect the performance of the menu.

Does the shadowing seem to scroll? Do you have a WX program or something else running that uses a top-line message bar? My REX program scrolls green bar data but it's generally one line below the menu bar.

Does it correlate to any particular location - something in an add-on scenery file?

It almost looks like "shadowing" of the existing menu bar text. Weird!

John

Does the shadowing seem to scroll? Do you have a WX program or something else running that uses a top-line message bar? My REX program scrolls green bar data but it's generally one line below the menu bar.

Does it correlate to any particular location - something in an add-on scenery file?

It almost looks like "shadowing" of the existing menu bar text. Weird!

John

No and no - the only thing running is FSX - no addons (this also takes care of question 3)

There's (purposely) nothing under it. I often get the effect where the menu bar is a tiny bit transparent, despite the slider set to zero in the "settings" menu. This results in seeing things under the menu bar. However with nothing there ???

@Nigel,

You've lost me with the reference to 3D. I regularly use the 3D cockpit, but it is disabled on startup (PMDG requirement to load with the 2D cockpit).

I'm currently set to 1366X768X32 in the Video Card settings to match the monitor I'm using. The same settings are default in FSX.

EDIT: Afterthoughts - I first saw it in the 3D cockpit of the C-46 which has a patterned cockpit overhead. I put it down to a slight transparency, as noted, above. However, the aircraft that had just loaded when I took the screenshot is the Basler BT-67 which does not have the same effect. In fact, the Basler can have no effect at all as it has no 2D cockpit and loads the view out the windscreen (including a lot of sky). 

Thanks (and welcome back) Roz,

I had to go with a half-height card to fit the case I had to use in order to get the computer out of the way in the boat. So I'm using an AMD card (see my profile). This card comes with some pretty mickey-mouse software. About all I'm able to do is tick the box that forces the card to use the "application settings" (ie: FSX).

Most of my FSX settings are suggested by aircraft and scenery software installed on the system. PMDG, ORBX, and the like. Checking my FSX Display Settings reveals that "Anisotropic" is turned ON and "Antialiasing" is turned OFF.

Here;s a few screenshots of the pertinent software displays - any and all suggestions welcome:

i-v84HFm5-L.jpg

2nd shot - Video card setting page

i-DFP8gVL-L.jpg

3rd - FSX Display Settings

i-QQ4DnkL-L.jpg

1st - another shot of the FSX on-screen menu with the offending lines. As you can see, this one, again, is not bleed through from something behind.

I'll throw some out there for you, couldn't hurt, right?

1) Copy and save your fsx.cfg file somewhere else and then delete the existing one. Reboot FSX and let it build a new one.

didn't help, try this,

2) In your Gaming/3D application settings, set your Texture filtering quality slider higher and reopen FSX and see if it helped.

That's all I know. :(