MegasceneryEarth 2.0 - Ireland

Yes.   Bleed through of default scenery would seem to be a common occurrence with MSE2, around coastal areas, lakes and rivers etc. Would appear they have problems mastering the art of Water Masking.

Good job it is cheap compared to similar products...a case of you get what you pay for I guess. Still preferable to relying on Default Scenery though.

I have the lower 48 States and it is the same there. Though perhaps not as prolific, to a foreign eye. Have a look at England & Wales if you really want to see OTT bleed through.

They seem to have got the hang of Landmass coverage on the whole. So, perhaps not all doom & gloom.

Perhaps I expect too much but it's the city scenery I wanted.  My experiences of MegaScenery has included the early MegaSceneryX (Southern California), the Grand Canyon and Western Washinton State.  These seemed excellent to me.  So I would have expected better here.  I wonder will they respond to my email to 'support'?

Following a discussion on Avsim, they have acknowledged the problem with bleed through around Belfast but have not committed to a fix. I don't understand why they would release a product with such a glaring issue, lets just hope they do release a patch,

I have had a closer look at this scenery and I am, to say the least, more than disappointed: I feel cheated !  Anywhere near water and the scenery is terrible - the default is bleeding through everywhere.  Around towns and cities it's a mess in places.  How any company can sell one a packge like this with so many short comings, beggers belief.  It appears they just don't care.  They have though, the ability to do a decent job with photo' scenery as witnessed with other areas in the USA.  So why not with this product.

As you can see by my siggy, I have a lot of MSE.  I vfly in 2 camps; for high in the sky I use MSE, but if I fly on a more local flight I use ORBX.

Photoscenery at low level ie., below 5000' is a no go area even the Cities series show a flat landscape.  But at the end of the day it is always down to your own choice.

... Photoscenery at low level ie., below 5000' is a no go area even the Cities series show a flat landscape. But at the end of the day it is always down to your own choice.

No disrespect to you or your choice of photoscenery, James, but this particular commnt does not hold for all photoscenery. Nuff said

Hwyl - Dai. :old-git:

• Like 1

No disrespect to you or your choice of photoscenery, James, but this particular commnt does not hold for all photoscenery. Nuff said

Hwyl - Dai. :old-git:

+1

I bought their florida scenery and was not very happy with it i then bought their Miami HD and was also not happy so I wont be buying anymore, no it isnt expensive so i guess you get what you pay for.. and yes their stuff is only good to at best 3000 feet

France VFR stuff and ES is much better as well as a load of free stuff of Portugal, Italy, Belgium and Holland

• 2 weeks later...

Not all commercial photo real scenery is poor I have watched Dai's videos testing his latest stuff and its very impressive.

The question I have to ask others is why not make your own scenery, its NOT difficult and with the software I use FSET its almost a one button press and away you go. The coastlines need a little more work to do the water mask which I am redoing on my West Wales at the moment.

I have to point out that I am no expert and all the stuff on the internet led me up the garden path, I had to learn the hard way by trial and error until I got FSET to work correctly.  

If anyone needs help out there in at least trying their own scenery I am more than happy to help out.

Kindest Regards,

Michael.

Not all commercial photo real scenery is poor I have watched Dai's videos testing his latest stuff and its very impressive.

The question I have to ask others is why not make your own scenery, its NOT difficult and with the software I use FSET its almost a one button press and away you go. The coastlines need a little more work to do the water mask which I am redoing on my West Wales at the moment.

I have to point out that I am no expert and all the stuff on the internet led me up the garden path, I had to learn the hard way by trial and error until I got FSET to work correctly.  

If anyone needs help out there in at least trying their own scenery I am more than happy to help out.

Kindest Regards,

Michael.

Any chance of some screen shots please Michael. I could be very interested in the software you are using..  :thum:

True, the Earth Sims sceneries are pretty much the best around IMO

The question I have to ask others is why not make your own scenery, its NOT difficult and with the software I use FSET its almost a one button press and away you go.

Its not that easy to get professional looking results. A good photoscenery requires an excellent mesh, which you havent covered. the results are only as good as the source imagery, which by definition is not colour or error corrected in any way. And it takes a lot of time to get right, so in the end its nearly always easier to just buy it :)

The coastlines need a little more work to do the water mask which I am redoing on my West Wales at the moment.

Water masking is one of the hardest and most timeconsuming aspects to get right, so kudos for getting stuck in :)

Cheers K

Some simple-minded people like me consider they bought a flight simulator and use their precious time for flying rather than spending  time downloading Gigas of stuff, installing and tweaking the PC files, trying to figure out for hours (or days) why it doesn't work and spending other hours reading pages of forums to find a solution.  :)

Reminds me the saying about wedding :  " Getting married with someone is learning how to solve together problems you wouldn't have if you stayed single..."  :D

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments.

OK lets do this in some sort of order, James in Wales have a look on YouTube my channel IZ0JUB it has over 30 videos of me flying over my home made scenery. You can make 500 square miles of scenery over night whilst asleep! The following morning you paste the bgl files into a folder add it to your FSX and your flying over your own home made scenery whilst eating your breakfast. The images are good at 600 feet above ground and at 1200 are incredible!! Let me know how you get on please. 

Kevin, all your points noted but the point I was trying to make to other members is that's its not complicated to make your own scenery with FSET. Compared to the cartoon scenery images in FSX my home made stuff is 1000 times better and it does give you a feel of reality whilst flying around areas you know and can look down and recognize a village or whatever. OK it doesn't have 3D buildings and all the bells and whistles but I'm happy with what I have. Regarding mesh and colours with FSET I haven't found the need to do anything other than use the images as they stand. Yes by experience I have found that the coastlines take a little more time. 

Loic, as I stated in my first post I am certainly no expert on any of this stuff and have only learnt the hard way of trial and error and burning the midnight oil. I agree with you that I did spend a long time reading stuff on forums, web sites etc., but it was part of my learning curve. 

I agree with you that for some members who only have limited time that should be used for flying that's what FSX is all about, however for some of us not satisfied with the default scenery or maybe paid software having a go at do it yourself adds something to this wonderful hobby of ours.

With kindest regards to all,

Michael.

Dean; you will need to render to a minimum of LOD14 to prevent the default textures from bleeding through

as in some areas i found that default textures are sometimes rendered up to LOD14; which will compete with yours

once other crucial issues you probably need to address; is the exclusion of coastlines prior to redefining the coast again

you can get very accurate as shown in this Dubai example below;

i had to first exclude the default coastlines; then completely redefine them from scratch,

in order to get accurate coastlines with their unique shapes; which doesn’t exists by default in FSX or P3D

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Four days ago I posted a thread on the Aerosoft Support forum about problems when using Aerosoft Dublin with the Horizon VFR GenX Ireland East photographic scenery. Four days, three replies (all of them posted by myself), and eighty-seven views later......nothing. Not a single response from Aerosoft on what is supposed to be their "Support" forum.

Pathetic <_<