Framerate improves with panning - video demo.

FSX never ceases to surprise me. I've been preparing a review of Earth Simulations' North West Scotland photoscenery for the Hangar, and was looking at the effects of scenery complexity on framerates. I'd been experiencing framerates well over 30 FPS, with fairly high settings when, after a re-load, framerates suddenly dropped to less than 10 FPS. I checked the settings, re-started the sim, but still the poor framerate persisted - until I changed the orientation of the viewpoint by 90 degrees in Slew, when the framerate went back up to a normal 30 plus. Strangely, after turning through a full 360 degrees, the framerate didn't return to below 10, but stayed at over 30. Confused? So was I - so I made this video to record what happened:

Since then, I've found that the same framerate improvement happens when you pan your view in both VC and External viewpoints, not just re-orientate the aircraft.

If you've any ideas, I'd be interested. Try it for yourself - hope it works for you, too!

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Don't have a clue but it sure is an interesting find. :thum:  Does it have something to do with how FSX stores scenery in memory and it getting bogged or choked down when it comes to processing it? Looking forward to any responses from the experts, thanks for the vid and brain teaser Dai. :)

Thanks for sharing Dai, I had heard that panning 360 around the aircraft had a similar effect but not the immense improvement you are demonstrating.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! 

i have tried it on the runway at soton in p3d and get some small  differences but only a maximum of maybe 5fps and i put that down to it wanting to load the town scenery, so i dont think it is the same as the are all over 50fps==

[esit]

just tried it in fsx using dx10 and i cannot reproduce it there either--sorry