FSX Steam edition released!

whilst i am very happy for the potential new arrivals in our "hobby" that they can now purchase fsx again I do feel that this has been rushed out.

I think it is an opportunity missed that they didnt continue to finish the dx10 incorporation  whilst adding only a couple of obligatory mods that are well published and available everywhere on the net.

I also think that the affiliation with steam will stifle the uptake as well.

However the current price is right

It will be interesting to see what issues the buyers of this version will have especially if fsuipc doesnt work with it.

so I am happy in one sense but feel it has been a wasted opportunity on the other hand, especially with P3D being so flakey with large a/c and heavy scenery

Fingers crossed that Pete Dawson gets the issues with FSUIPC sorted too, once that is done I'll start testing it..

Will keep it away from the same PC as the boxed version for now though..

I suspect that Dovetail/Steam needed to get it out to begin to generate a revenue stream.  Hopefully the changes and shortcomings are accidental and temporary, or at least ill-considered and temporary.  I also find myself wondering if the absent FSUIPC capability is not in aid of a way to force users of the Dovetail/Steam FSX to only use their add-ons.  That would be most unfortunate and would, I think, guarantee their failure within the existing FS community.

I'd hate to think that there is an element of intentional entrapment buried in some of the oddities, e.g. the identical registry entry with FSX and the absent direct-connect option in Multiplayer.  If those things and others like them are eventually fixed, things will be OK. If they persist and the new publishers are intentionally trying to herd the user community exclusively to their flavor of FSX they'd better be ready to offer something irresistible in return.  If not, they're Microsoft Flight or, at best, will have a small segment of the community using their stuff and the rest of us chugging along on old copies of MS FSX and/or P3D.

If MS shuts down the on-line validation of old copies of FSX, whether that is part of their agreement with Dovetail or not, most of us will go to hacked, cracked or pirated versions in order to retain the use of what we paid our money for.  If that were to happen, I can't see people rushing to the Dovetail/Steam version instead, even though that might be their long-term plan.  People don't respond well to being manipulated like that.

John

• Like 4

The only other product which we can compare what has happened is Railworks/Train Simulator 20XX. There was a detailed and scored 'career' mode which for a long time only they [Dovetail] could edit. About a year ago they released the editing options to everyone. This morning I saw an add-on that was to be released via Steam but will now be released by a third party, so in that regard they are willing to allow third parties. However - it was a step change in graphics and a completely new product to what it was (in effect) replacing. Of interest is that the original Rail Simulator published in 2007 essentially had the same code as the Microsoft Train Simulator (complete with rain under roofs).

I think it's a case of wait and see

Couple of questions:

1. Is FSX SE (Steam Edition) full blown FSXA (Acceleration) or just FSX SP2?

2. Will the 'great unwashed', who flocked to the 'beta' testing of Microsoft FLIGHT, be attracted to FSX SE?

3. Should we start an Aunty Steam sub-forum, now, to pick up all those conflict queries that are in the offing?

Gosh - haven't we got enough alternatives, Chaps? FS9, FSX Retail, FSX SP2, FSXA, P3D V1.x, P3D V2.x, etc...

Oh, and X-Plane, too, which has better helicopter flight dynamics - byeeeee! :whis:

Seriously, we are in for an exciting 2015 - Happy New Year!

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Looking at this section Dai, it certaintly has the Acceleration aircraft:

Take the controls of aircraft such as the 747 jumbo jet, F/A-18 Hornet, P-51D Mustang, EH-101 helicopter and others - an aircraft for every kind of flying and adventure. Select your starting location, set the time, the season, and the weather. Take off from one of more than 24,000 airports and explore a world of aviation beauty that has entranced millions of plane fans from across the globe.

This, from the press release:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition (FSX: Steam Edition) is functionally similar to the boxed version of Microsoft Flight Simulator X (MSFSX). We have worked extensively with third party developers to make sure the two products can work alongside each other, however due to the wide range of add-on products available for MSFSX, we cannot guarantee that your existing content will work with Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition.

If you already have MSFSX installed on your PC and are concerned about running the two games alongside each other, you may wish to consider installing FSX: Steam Edition on a separate PC.

If you already have MSFSX and add-ons installed they will only be accessible through your existing installation. They will not be duplicated across the original edition and Steam Edition of the simulator.

The below change log represents the key changes made to FSX: Gold Edition to create FSX: Steam Edition.

Isn't Acceleration an update from Gold? Seem to remember an extra box (thanks, Joe!)....

Anyways, caveat emptor - My next sim is probably X-Plane!

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

I've been pondering a bit on this, and need some input from the "old" gang that was actually using FSX when SP1 and SP2 was released.

Did all add-ons work straight away at those times or did it take some time for all developers to upgrade their add-ons to the new SP. Could someone using SP1 connect to a multiplayer server where the hos is running SP2?

The reason for asking is that from a purely technological standpoint I'd have to say that FSX:SE is no more than SP2.1 for FSX, even if you have to pay for it...

The situation with Steam edition using the same folders/registry locations as the boxed version appears to be far less alarming than I feared.

Yes, it will use the same folders and registry locations if the installer can't find an instance of the boxed version of FSX installed. If it does find the boxed version it will create different folders and registry keys, thus maximising the chance of addons installers finding the correct path for a new user while making sure a veteran FSX user can maintain the integrity of his/hers installation..

The only comment I've seen so far that worriese came from Capt. Randazzo of PMDG fame that was not very impressed with his interactions with Dovetail..

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457475-pmdg-products-and-steam/

Only time will tell if the steam edition will survive, or crash and burn like Flight, but I think it looks more promising.

Dai, as I remember it Acceleration is an expansion for the basic and Delux version, but the Gold Version includes everything in the same installer.

And As Kieran said, considering the fact that the F/A 18 and the Mustang is available Acceleration is defiantly installed...

Well, from what I've seen so far, it's not to bad. Performance has improved (lots of reports about this) due the recompile of the source code using VS2013. The old multiplayer screen is nice to see again and the main sim feels just like it always has.

Downside has been the lack of compatability between the steam edition and standard version for 'connect direct' multiplayer sessions. Users need the same versions to connect directly. Then there's the install issues, small though they are. If you install with fsx already installed, you'll get a nice seperate version with a fsx-se.cfg etc. if you just install the steam edition though, it assumes it's in charge and acts just like fsx boed edition, so when you install the boxed version, things go a bit purple.

Where we go from here, well who knows,but earlier there were over 1000 people currently using fsx:se on steam, so maybe there's life in the old girl yet.

As for what this version actially is, it's fsx and acceleration all rolled into one (of fsx gold edition).

Mickie, even now on some installers, you'll be asked if you're installing into fsx sp1a or sp2/acceleration, so there was a point where we needed updated installers. (2007 was a long time ago and I've slept since then)

Jess B

Jess,

Thanks for a very interesting state of play as it stands today  :thum:

One question, do you have to log into steam to launch the program? That's what has always deterred me from other Steam titles.

Joe 

Just my two cents on the matter:

One question, do you have to log into steam to launch the program? That's what has always deterred me from other Steam titles.

As with all Steam titles yes, but there will be no need to keep the steam overlay open; There is offline mode, but I've found that with some titles, if Steam is in offline mode, so is the game so you lose the online capability of that title.  I have Steam running constantly in the background of everything including FSX (boxed) with no issues at all, and it is unlikely that you'll notice any performance issues with steam in the background; I've been using both Steam and Dovetails' other title Train Simulator for the last four years.

Steam does have its advantage of, updates will automatically be downloaded (unless you opt out of them) if you have to re-format your system, you simply sign in to Steam and re-download FSX with three or four clicks and wait for it to download, no grabbing multiple boxes for Acceleration, and any content you buy through Steam for FSX-SE will also automatically download and install (unless you tell it not to before starting the download) 

As Kieran has said the only other title we have to go on is Train Simulator (which I own) you can buy third party content (Armstrong Powerhouse if your interested) and run that.  However Steam has a feature of "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" where Steam will check your files (Only if you ask it to) and re download the ones that are missing or corrupt (handy in Train Sim if a route or loco stops working) HOWEVER, every time the game cache is verified, my Armstrong Powerhouse content (sound packs, scenario packs) are uninstalled and I have to reinstall them.  This is time consuming and annoying, but that is Steam for you.  Some of you have entire drives of addons for FSX; they would likely be uninstalled if you verified the game cache.  

Personally I won't get the Steam edition unless it does something truly amazing.  There is a lot of incompatibility (FSUIPC, PMDG A2A) to name a few which don't work.  It could be that Dovetail could decide that only their content can be used (I wouldn't be shocked); and if Train Sim is anything to go by this is not a good thing.  Trains have wrong or generic sounds that are rushed and are very basic in function (for FS this would be a default aircraft, not even Just Flight F-Lite standard), routes are buggy and are incomplete in some areas (missing bridges, electric pylons on some electrified routes) Dovetail also always charge £11.99 for a train, regardless of whether it was built from the ground up, or is a re-modal or re skin of another pre existing train; £24.99 for a route, regardless of whether that route is 20 miles long or 200 miles long.  Oh and Dovetail have some appalling support, emails are normally ignored and if you criticise them on Facebook, they normally either ignore you, or delete your post. It is important to note that Dovetail appear to be in this in this for the money, and not for looking after their player base, at least with Train Sim and I don't see them changing for FSX-SE. 

My advice is this:

If you have the boxed FSX, use that and use FSX the same way you always have and just keep an eye on this, but from the other end of a ten foot barge pole.

If you don't have FSX, go to Amazon and get the boxed Gold edition from there.  

I personally feel that this is to early to say what will happen with FSX-SE, you can jump ship, but based on Dovetail's practises with Train Sim, any serious FS fan (I.E us lot) will continue as we always have done with this Steam Edition having its own party away from us.  

NOTE: All of that above about Dovetail and Train Sim is based on my own experience over the last four years and what I have observed within the hardcore train simulator community (which is very similar to us with FS.  I.E wants realism and the most realistic experience possible)

FSX-SE: Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition 

Thanks Ed for your input, everyones opinion helps us to make up our mind and form our own opinions.

Even at £3.99 I see no point of duplicating what I already have especially as I am looking forward to the day I can unload FSX forever in favour for P3D.  :hat:

Oh I certainly don't want to force my opinion on others (does it seem that I am? if it does I'll adjust my post); I definitely want people to arrive at their own conclusions.  I thought I'd share my experiences with the same developer, so that people could see what they're potentially getting into with Dovetail.  This could go one of two ways:

1: FSX is re-born and we all convert to it

or,

2: In Six months we're discussing how FSX-SE went the same way as MS Flight

It is up to the developer to achieve the outcome, but I don't think personally that they will get the mass support of hardcore Flight Sim fans.  I could be wrong, and they could prove us all wrong and really take FSX to new heights, but, only time will tell.

Ok, so this makes for a good read from the DTG (Dovetail Games) Admin over on the Steam Forum's for this who are undecided and want more information:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/flightsimulatorX/discussions/0/626329187158003743/

Looking for user DTG_Admin.  Please bear in mind (from my own experience at least) that DTG are very, very good at marketing, so take what they say with some salty pinches and form your own opinions, I'm sure they could actually sell someone a bag of cat turds!

DTG are very, very good at marketing...I'm sure they could actually sell someone a bag of cat turds!

...and this is how it happens...

In the beginning was the plan.

And then came the assumptions.

And the assumptions were without form.

And the plan was without substance.

And darkness was upon the face of the workers.

And they spoke among themselves saying,

"It is a crock of shit and it stinketh."

And the workers went unto their supervisors and said,

"It is a pail of dung and none may abide the odor thereof."

And the supervisor went unto their managers and said,

"It is a container of excrement and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it."

And the managers went unto their directors, saying,

"It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide its strength."

And the directors spoke among themselves, saying to one another,

"It contains that which aids plant growth and it is very strong."

And the directors went unto the vice presidents, saying unto them,

"It promotes growth and is very powerful."

And the vice presidents went unto the president, saying unto him,

"The new plan will promote the growth and vigor of the company, with powerful effects."

And the president looked upon the plan and saw that it was good.

And the plan became policy.

This is how shit happens.
  • Like 3

Hmmm, seems at odd to the initial infomation they released. So much for 'we can fix bugs, but not make improvements' I suppose it depends what they deem as a bug!

Oh and Mr. Buckley, you should never take my advice. Lynda was the last one to take my advice, and she married me! Not sure she got a good deal there :)