Someone asked what the VC was like on that F-14. Hope this awnsers the question! Virtually every switch works! It really is an amazing peice of work. Superior in many ways to expensive payware models.

F-14VCroll_zps0007716a.jpg
F-14VCLLower_zpsb98c0d00.jpg
F-14VCfrontlcorner_zpsa52b6e61.jpg
F-14VCrear_zps91f01ac3.jpg
F-14VCweopans_zpsb890c370.jpg
F14switchpanelRfront_zps9d1cd646.jpg
F-14VCejseat_zps87698ce7.jpg
F-14pkdSanDiego_zps6f2c339d.jpg
F-14switchpanelL_zps32a655f6.jpg
F-14VCfontcorner_zps181a61a7.jpg
F-14turnnburn_zpse1d08cab.jpg
F-14rearVC_zpsa4ed57fa.jpg
F-14overSD_zps1a48797d.jpg
F-14lowMiramar_zps096c548c.jpg
F-14cockpitclose_zpsbb285c7a.jpg
F-14HUD_zpsfb9ddd3e.jpg
F-14lowlake_zps58f9c102.jpg
F-14crzmts_zpsdf9ae74e.jpg
F-14VFfront_zpsddabb842.jpg
F-14crz_zps5e7f0c17.jpg
F-14213climb_zpsba77b566.jpg
f-14depMiramar_zps3f619ce4.jpg

Thanks for viewing

• Like 1

Going 'cruisin' in you new hat, Al'? Take it easy, Mate!

We get 2 or 3 of these b*gg*rs over us most days. Nice engine note, except when they're turning at Machynlleth fo another circuit.

Have a good one!

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

• Like 1

Only Iran has any F-14s left in service, dating from the Shah of Iran era, and their condition and capability is very doubtful. In the Iran-Iraq war they mostly used them as a mini-AWACs because the F-14 radar was head and shoulders more powerful than anything else either country had at the time.

I'm not a jet man but have always liked the Tomcat. It was only toward the end of its service life that they converted it for the ground attack role. For most of its time in the fleet it was pretty much an air-air platform.

John

• Like 1
In my opinion they were probably the coolest looking Naval aircraft ever built. Everything about the f-14 just looked right.

Agree, Al.  It was also the only aircraft configured to carry the AIM-54 Phoenix missile, which was retired when the Tomcats were.  The two had a potent stand-off air defense capability, aimed mainly at Soviet-era bombers carrying long-range anti-ship missiles.  The primary role of the Tomcat for most of it's career was defense of the carrier against air attack.

I've seen several at airshows, including one jaw-dropping 45 minute long, single-ship flight demo on a bright, clear day.  The guy flying it appeared to be having the time of his life.  One of the most awesome maneuvers was a corner-speed 360 degree, 90 degree bank turn completely on airport property, while only a couple of wingspans above the ground.  Despite the bright sunlight, when looking up the exhaust pipes you saw bright orange afterburner flames.  He also demonstrated a carrier approach and bolter, followed by a vertical departure to an out-of-sight altitude, slow rolling all the way up.  

On the other end of the spectrum, saw one late in the day on the last day of an airshow, sitting in the middle of an ocean of oil-dry, leaking fuel like a sieve, looking very down in the mouth.  Word was they were going to have to fly a maintenance team in the following day to make it right before it could be flown out.  Not a great PR day for them. 

John

• Like 1

I believe I read that when the Navy retired theirs the DoD mandated that they be utterly destroyed to prevent spares being diverted to Iran, which is always looking on the black market trying to get maintenance materials for theirs. I believe several are in museums - have seen one at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola FL and one that looks to be almost flyable at the Tico Warbird Museum at KTIX, in Titusville FL, near the Kennedy Space Center.

John

• Like 1

If you mean the Iranian desert that might be possible. I don't think any remain at Davis-Monthan. If I understand correctly, after the last active USN squadron stood down, they were all promptly destroyed to prevent any parts being diverted to Iran.

John