Questions re.New waypoints for FS9

Thanks for the topic on new waypoints for FS9. This has always been a question on my mind on how to do it. In your XML source file, I see that the second line is <FSData version=*9.0*.  As I have version 9.1, should I insert that instead.

When I "hopefully" manage to finish one, will the new WP be visible in the GPS?

I have downloaded the freeware editor ADE9X, but it is full of red blocks which I havent a clue how to clear, but I have followed your advice re the FS Garmin GPS waypoint pages and found the relevant WP regions.

I have also downloaded the relevant FS9 SDK. Does this have to be in any particular folder. Please excuse what may seem some basic questions, but I am not very computer literate.

Thanks,

Neil

I see that the second line is <FSData version=*9.0*. As I have version 9.1, should I insert that instead.

No, stick with 9.0. That is the "standard" to which the waypoints are formatted in the bgl files and works in FS9.0, 9.1 and FSX.

...will the new WP be visible in the GPS?

Yes it will. Any new waypoints you add will be indistinguishable from the stock FS waypoints. I don't believe the waypoints are labeled in the GPS. They are labeled in the FS map view at certain zoom levels, where you can mouse over them or click on them to see the ID. They will also be visible in the MS Flight Planner and you can drag your course line and drop it on a waypoint and that waypoint will be inserted into the flight plan.

...I have downloaded the freeware editor ADE9X, but it is full of red blocks which I havent a clue how to clear...

That sounds like exclusion rectangles. View menu -> Exclusions; be sure that is turned off. Also turn off Terrain Exclusions in the same menu.

I have also downloaded the relevant FS9 SDK. Does this have to be in any particular folder.

You can put the SDK anywhere. When working on waypoints I put a working copy of bglcomp.exe and it's required companion file bglcomp.xsd in a working folder, somewhere away from the SDK. I copy my xml file into that working folder, compile it, then copy the resulting bgl into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery folder (or the corresponding folder for FSX).

Please excuse what may seem some basic questions, but I am not very computer literate.

No excuse necessary. We're always happy to welcome new flight simmers and to help people out with learning how to deal with FS. We learn a lot in the process and make some new friends.

Welcome to Mutley's Hangar. I hope you find it a friendly and helpful place and become a regular.

Check out my airport diagrams and ready-made add-on waypoints in the MH File Library.

John