Steam Chat Spreading Dangerous Malware

Steam Chat Spreading Dangerous Malware

With all the interest in the newly released FSX SE, it seems appropriate to post this. If in Steam Chat and you receive a message, supposedly from someone you know with a message "WTF?????" and a linked JPEG called "screenshot", don't click the link. See linked article for more details.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/12/30/steam-chat-spreading-dangerous-malware/?intcmp=ob_homepage_tech&intcmp=obnetwork

Thanks John for the HU and I've posted the warning on JF and Captain Sim forums.

I don't have FSX-SE, don't see the point as my FSX work fine, until they sort out their compatibility issues and improve on FSX I'll not bother.

The problem doesn't lie with Steam, the problem lies with people not practicing safe computing.  Don't arbitrary click links, especially in email and chat rooms.    

My question is, why does Windows still allow the installation of damaging malware and viruses with one simple mouse click and no further interaction from the user?  Windows security is a total shambles.

Regards,

M. 

• Like 1

I'm happy in the knowledge that I've helped these poor guys out a little, by giving them £3.99 to help them try to establish a viable company some day. I will not be downloading.

I have been using Steam for years as I play the strategy Total War series which require install through Steam since Empire Total War (even if I own the DVD and the box). I play 90% of the time offline and only connect to Steam once in a while for possible updates. Never had a problem so far. Steam doesn't make any games, it's only an online store.

What do the "Steam haters" dislike about it? I have several games installed through Steam (Assetto Corsa, Half Life 2, Deus Ex : Human Revolution), and everything works seamlessly (including updates).

Been using Steam, Uplay, and Origin for ages. In fact my son and I first installed Steam way back, when Half Life was released I recall.

At first we hated it, but now we rather like it. Very convenient, no more running around trying to find updates, all very easy now.

I have nothing against Steam, in fact it is a great service for the dedicated gamer.  Both my sons use it, especially the youngest.  He has quite a collextion of ganes on steam and prefers it to DVD/CD editions.

I don't play games so I don't subscribe to Steam (I don't count FSX as a game), I have FSX on a CD/DVD and a few add-ons on disk, but most of my add-ons are downloads. I just don' use the PC for anything else in the entertainment line. 

Try Elite Dangerous.

Massive learning curve, great fun. Flight sim in space, with the entire galaxy to explore.

Be a bounty hunter, a pirate, a trader or an explorer, it's your call. Not hours, not weeks, not months, more like endless entertainment.

Today I was stupid enough to take on a pirate in a Python. Rock hard shields and devastating weapons. Luckily I managed to engage my frame shift drive and get out of there before my shields failed.

Try Elite Dangerous.

Massive learning curve, great fun. Flight sim in space, with the entire galaxy to explore.

Be a bounty hunter, a pirate, a trader or an explorer, it's your call. Not hours, not weeks, not months, more like endless entertainment.

Today I was stupid enough to take on a pirate in a Python. Rock hard shields and devastating weapons. Luckily I managed to engage my frame shift drive and get out of there before my shields failed.

This scenario reminds me of Star Raiders that I used to play on an old Atari 800 when I was a slip of a girl. Does anyone else remember those games on the first gen consoles? Oh how things have changed...for the better in most cases :)

Try Elite Dangerous.

This scenario reminds me of Star Raiders that I used to play on an old Atari 800 when I was a slip of a girl. Does anyone else remember those games on the first gen consoles? Oh how things have changed...for the better in most cases :)

I recall the name, never played it though. The only other space sim game I've played is Tie Fighter years ago, when my son was little. Think it was about 1993-4. Apparently it's available again on GOG. {Good Old Games]

I'm just about to jump into it, 1984 version was my first game on my C64 !  I have already watched hours of videos since the beta.  Will be in the stars next week !  :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There's only two issues for me, and not serious ones.

The antialiasing on the stations could be better. It's something some seem to be having an issue with and not others. It's not a show stopper at all though.

The other issue is that the AI, namely the Federal Security Services, have a habit of veering into your line of fire. Thus, a slight tickle on their shields from your pulse lasers and you end up with a wanted status. It's not a huge deal, just means you have to nip to a station and pay a fine. Although on occasions, if you are scanned you can be blasted into smithereens. I gather Frontier are looking into it though, so should be fixed soon.

All in all, a VERY addictive game.

There seems to be a real interest in "retro games" at the moment.  My youngest is downloading some of the stuff I was playing when I was young.  Any one remember waiting 30 mins. for a game to load on a Spectrum? - and having it crash in the first min. of play?

Those were the days, kids today don't know the're alive, when I were young we had to get up an hour before we went to bed and lick road clean w'tongue!