Leg 01 - Southampton (EGHI) - Gamston (EGNE)

Welcome to leg 1 of ATWC Six!

Our first leg will see us transport the baton from Southampton Mutley Field (EGHI) to Gamston EGNE in Nottinghamshire via  a multiplayer session. 

The route would be as follows with a touch and go at each airfield en route. (Thanks Plan-G)

map.jpg

We had a good turn out from the crew with the following in attendance.

th_JeffTracy.jpgth_VirgilTracy.jpgth_JohnTracy.jpgth_LadyPenelope.jpgth_AloysiusParker.jpg
           Jeff (Joe)                    Virgil (Micke)                  John (Tim)                  Penny (Jess)          Parker (Brian)

th_Kyrano.jpg  th_TheHood.jpg
Kyrano (Dai)               The Hood (Andrew)

In support we had:

th_GordonTracy-1.jpg   th_brains.jpg        th_tintin.jpg
     Gordon (John)                      Brains (JG)                    Tin Tin Kyrano (Lynda)

Chosen aircraft were from the WWII era, we had  4 Spitfires (Joe, Andrew, Dai & Micke) a ME109 'flown' by Brian, a Messerschmitt Me 262 flown by Jess and a RealAir Duke B60 V2 flown by Tim (There’s always one!!)  

Micke had sent the plan down to the Mutley Crew in plenty of time to preview the route, but that didn’t mean we would not have problems on the day, oh no! Nearly everyone had issues with FSX, their machine, Skype or the internet!

It took a good hour to get the crew assembled, I had a problem with my RealAir Spitfire overheating and catching fire so a quick swap out for the Just Flight version did the trick.
2015-1-4_10-45-16-67.jpg

Then I spotted Fritz in my mirrors giving it to me with both barrels, so not to be out done I turned around and faced him up. Eat lead sucker! (Every shot missed!)
2015-1-4_10-55-42-717.jpg

As you can see, no one had a version of Jess’ ME 262 in their sim so we saw differing models from the F18, to a CRJ or Phenom!
fsx2015-01-0411-20-00-88.jpg~original 

Anyway, we were off, only an hour late. 02 was the runway of the day, we were flying in fair weather as the real world weather on the day had the cloud base at around 800ft.
fsx2015-01-0412-08-12-78.jpg~original

We dropped past Middle Wallop army base at varying intervals. Here is a picture from Micke and we can see Tim off to the right. 
fsx2015-01-0412-14-09-32.jpg~original

Here's Dai coming in!
Leg_01_TnG_Middle_Wallop_zps02a99135.jpg

I paid a complimentary visit to Truxton for a mini display.
2015-1-4_11-16-21-342.jpg~original

2015-1-4_12-22-49-387.jpg~original

Before heading to Upavon, not to be confused with the larger Netheravon airfield a couple of miles away, I am sure someone landed there?
2015-1-4_11-29-27-407.jpg~original

There was no one to greet us at Oaksey park but we still graced them with our presence.
oaksey.jpg~original

We carried on regardless with a little cat and mouse activity!
2015-1-4_11-42-4-404.jpg~original

2015-1-4_12-7-0-811.jpg~original

fsx2015-01-0412-15-43-82.jpg~original

Gloucestershire airport was a breeze with no problems encountered. No piccies so here is a shot of Micke and Brian having a pow-pow!
2015-1-4_11-41-59-747.jpg~original

Woverhampton aka Halfpenny Green, another ex RAF airfield and we were spoilt with a choice of three runways.
gloucester.jpg~original

Approach to Cosford, an active RAF base so we had to watch our p's and q's   :salute: 
mickecosford.jpg~original

Woodford nr Manchester, a salute to the Avro Lancaster and Vulcan that were built here.
2015-1-4_11-16-21-342-1.jpg~original

Over the border to the land of flat caps and Whippets, Micke on the ground at Sheffield City...
fsx2015-01-0413-16-39-56.jpg~original

... As I circle overhead taking in the view before we make the final leg.
sheffield.jpg~original

Gamston -Joe landing
2015-1-4_12-30-14-24.jpg~original

Brian touching down
2015-1-4_12-28-57-171.jpg~original

Micke on base
fsx2015-01-0413-28-37-84.jpg~original

Andrew Landing
2015-1-4_12-33-30-235.jpg~original

De briefing on the apron, just waiting for Kasper to arrive to take the baton off overseas.
2015-1-4_12-32-39-477.jpg~original

One final shot from Dai!

Leg_01_Finish_EGNE_zps4ed89aa8.jpg~origi

The company credit card remained unscathed, however we have 8 for dinner so it will be prawn croquette tapas all round, the bar had doubled their Bacardi order as they knew Jess was in town...  :whis:

Meanwhile, Sharon has been getting ready for service, very willing and very able.

sharon1.jpg~original

Happy flying everyone. Over to you Kasper  :thum:

Thanks for your comments, the screenshots above were sent to me by the crew so thanks for the memories guys.

Talking of memories, yes Dai, you completed the whole flight, I was keeping an eye on you for most of the way  :D

Cheers

I was keeping an eye on you for most of the way

Through the gunsight?

John

Most likely John....

Great PRIEP to get us going Boss , a very good representation of what went on as far as I can remember ;)

And in all fairness I should confess that Joe wasn't the only one that blew up an Spitfire engine during the flight... I managed to do it too. The only difference was, I was in the air at the time... If anyone heard report of a emergency landing on the A458 just west of Stourbridge causing major damage to both road vehicles and near by buildings I take full responsibility for that   :salute:

• Like 1

A great start to the challenge, guys — well done!   :clapping:

(Although whatever possessed you to try it in those teeny little aircraft I can't imagine — it looks extremely unsafe to me. But presumably those funny things going round and round at the front help you to keep your cool?)    :ok:

Ah well, each to their own, and it's great to see the baton on its way.

Many thanks for the write-up, Joe, and also for the cast list and pictures. I didn't realise that Andrew was actually a nom de plume for Gregg "three-Gs" Wallace, though.   :rolleyes:

I look forward to meeting up with Kieran in Riga — although having seen the recent screening of the Wallander episode ('The Dogs of Riga') maybe we'll need to keep our heads down....

Cheers,

Bruce (a.k.a. Brian747)

Sorry that I missed this.

Where/when was the announcement of the get together for this group flight? I see the challenge board lists a date of Jan 11th???

Is there an ATWC message board that I don't know about?

Nice start and looked like a lot of fun. :)

(Although whatever possessed you to try it in those teeny little aircraft I can't imagine — it looks extremely unsafe to me. But presumably those funny things going round and round at the front help you to keep your cool?)    :ok:

Those funny little spinning things at the front failed miserably at keeping my engine cool enough to keep it from blowing up in mid-flight, so I doubt that's their main function  ;)

<sigh>  Sorry to hear that, Micke  —  but hardly surprised (I never could get the hang of them. In fact I always thought a "condition lever" was something you'd find on a hairdryer, hence the "L" plate on my IR insignia).

Happily, there are alternatives available.   :D

Cheers,

Bruce a.k.a. brian747

• Like 1

I was being polite my not including shots of your stricken Spitfire, still here they are :D 

Blackened windscreen

fsx2015-01-0412-46-31-03.jpg~original 

Choose a field, any field, just do not land on the A458 west of Stourbridge.  :rofl: 

fsx2015-01-0412-46-42-21.jpg~original