NDB's and VOR's broadcasting signal distance

Hi, 

I am trying to get out of the habit of using the GPS for my GA flights - just because it's more fun to use beacons and re-tuning the radios etc. 

I know how to find out the frequencies and how to set up the plane to fly between points and all that; the only question I have is regarding the distance these beacons broadcast in FSX.

In the real world the signal can vary based on several factors and also how much power is being put through them - but I assume in FSX this will be a fixed variable. 

So does anyone know how far NDB and VOR beacons broadcast it's signal in FSX?

Thanks,

Jim

Each radio navaid has its effective range listed in the UK AIP. Its something I was going to check and amend if necessary as part of my airspace project. You can get updated navaid data from Herbe Sors website aready. I havent checked it all but I dip sampled 1 or 2 and they seemed just about bob on. K

PS the navaid data is held in bgl files which are not immediately apparent as containing navaid data from their name. Herve Sors has a utility available which allows you to specify the navaid identifier and it finds the bgl file its in for you :)

i have found the ranges in FSX to vary from reality for example when crossing the channel from Deauville to Biggin I would tune one nav radio on DVL and the other on SFD however using the carenado a/c they do not pick up the signal over the french coast as one could in reality you have to wait till mid channel before you can receive SFD

of course in reality their range is affected greatly by how many stations are interrogating the VOR

Oh so it varies in the sim a bit - maybe I do not need that much detail for what I want to use it for (just a general flight plan in fsx) - so rephrasing the question then :)

Roughly on average; how far away can you be to pick up VOR and NDB signals? Just a guess would be fine so like a 20nm range at least?

Nice to see people working on these things though Kevin - that's why FSX has not died yet; committed people updating and keeping it fresh :)

Also, Kevin are you part of Fly UK too?

UPDATE: I have opened a can of worms now for something else for me to be interested in lol - so in the real world flight; if the distance in between two NDB's was too big to pick up the signal - would the pilot plan for this prior to flight and fly the track direction of the next ndb until the came in contact? 

E.g.

Beacon 1 -> Beacon 2 = 50nm

The direction from beacon 1 to beacon 2 is 270

I fly over beacon 1 and tune into beacon 2

no signal received - so I fly 270 until I pick up the signal?

Thanks guys,

Jim

Couple of points, Jim:

1. FSX 'appears' to take topology as well as distance into account. I've noticed that I can't pick up a fairly local NDB when I'm on the runway, but when I'm at 1000' or so, The needle swings into action. Also, VOR's can be picked up, when you approach their limit and, then, go Off and On before staying On. This when you're flying over hilly terrain.

2. What you suggest in your example, i.e. flying the previous NDB's radial 'blind' until you pick up the next NDB (or VOR for that matter) works for me. Whether this is RW is another matter, though!

I do try to fly VFR whenever I can - even helicopters - as you say, it's more interesting and immersive.

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

There's some interesting history associated with the US and Canadian beacon systems. I'm not familiar with Europe or Australia and New Zealand but assume their system(s) developed along the same lines.

The original US beacon system was a series of lights strung out in a line that pilots followed visually. This morphed into the NDB system that increased the usable range and worked in low visibility. The subject of this query was range. All I can comment on is that it varies with power of the station, topography, and aircraft altitude. In the RW, documentation is available to show the limitations. I've found that FSX tends to be slightly unrealistic, however, that is due to the nature of the programmed-unreality that is inherent.

I think the NDB system is almost out of use in the US but it is still quite serviceable (including NDB approaches) in Canada.

The VOR system is far superior.

I have an E-book that describes the history of the Jeppesen company and, if memory serves, there was quite a bit of information on the early electronic aids. A very interesting read.

There are still quite a number of NDBs in the US but as March says, they are slowly being removed, deactivated, etc. Of course FSX is the world circa 2006 or even earlier (not sure they really updated everything to 2006 RW), so we'll always have them there.

John

Even better, in the more recent versions of Plan-G, if you right click the navaid, you can select 'Show Range' and it'll draw you a nice shaded circle, blue for VORs and green for NDBs

From memory the range of VORs in FS is generally around 200nm, but those attached to airports, localisers etc somewhat less.