Leg 07 – Marihamn (EFMA) to Riga (EVRA) - Part 2

Part 2 (Couldn't wait until tomorrow!)

This follows on from Part 1

Having been forced to divert to Helsinki due to the refusal of Latvian authorities to allow the Canberra in, a new plan had to be hurriedly proposed. SAS did a return trip for crew training with an Avro RJ85 to Riga. A few calls later and I was there bright and early the next morning. Problem was, the aircraft wasn't ready. A good few hours later it was, so we all trooped out to get the aircraft ready.

-2015-jan-14-003_zpswge2i2fy.jpg

Yes, it was an Irish reg too! External power plugged in, time to get the cockpit warm

-2015-jan-14-006_zps9pdqdsjr.jpg

Power on

-2015-jan-14-008_zpsk778smkj.jpg

Time for pushback from the stand

-2015-jan-14-011_zpsokjllpc3.jpg

A nice little GoPro camera was installed all the way up here. Sadly the battery ran out!

-2015-jan-14-012_zpsc43ynrzs.jpg

Taxiing out behind the MD-80 we were parked next to

-2015-jan-14-014_zpskk1j8cbo.jpg

For this leg, Sharon joined us (after complaining about the cold and being left out so far). A nice little spot next to a hairdryer engine was found. Just before departure, she took this shot

-2015-jan-14-015_zpszo1pepaz.jpg

View from the pit as the power was poured on

-2015-jan-14-016_zpswm6rbujx.jpg

Lightly loaded, the 146 jumped into the air. Prehaps I should have used a de-rated take-off!

-2015-jan-14-017_zpsivlvaaob.jpg

At this point we were at about 2,000ft, so definately should have used a de-rate!

-2015-jan-14-018_zps06w22ash.jpg

Turning around the sun and leaving Helsinki behind

-2015-jan-14-020_zpszd3watmf.jpg

Climbing out
-2015-jan-14-024_zpsrxqrh0mv.jpg

Nicely settled into the cruise. I can hear Sharon moving around the place, presumably trying to find a comfortable seat

-2015-jan-14-026_zpsa7h2d4ah.jpg

-2015-jan-14-028_zpsg1bbozu0.jpg

Another engine view, this time with the setting sun

-2015-jan-14-034_zpsxjwux98a.jpg

It's black up there!

-2015-jan-14-035_zpsf7fluyb5.jpg

Another aircraft passes higher and behind us as we make our way to Riga

-2015-jan-14-036_zpsi0upetoe.jpg

Riga Control gave us our vectors down for an ILS approach

-2015-jan-14-043_zpswus11zp8.jpg

Riga Tower has us in the sights

-2015-jan-14-055_zpslqqwwrxa.jpg

My view of landing. A bit high.....

-2015-jan-14-063_zpsia2mrbgv.jpg

.....resulting in a go-around. More excitement!

-2015-jan-14-065_zpsymeo1bb4.jpg

This time Sharon decided to sit down behind the flaps (presumably to keep an eye on my performance!)

-2015-jan-14-072_zpsv5us6smu.jpg

Airport dead ahead

-2015-jan-14-073_zpskkjlkar0.jpg

Rolling out after touchdown

-2015-jan-14-075_zpsyj6ez6iy.jpg

Rolling down the runway

-2015-jan-14-078_zpsvtctgpz6.jpg

Taxiing past the local airliner

-2015-jan-14-079_zpsnfgwijzn.jpg

Cold and Dark

-2015-jan-14-082_zps2q4aqrxk.jpg

Over to you Brian!

Aircraft: Quality Wings BAe146 / Avro RJ Collection
Scenery: Default
AI: World of AI

Great pics, Chuck, and congratulations on finding yourself a 146 (always a great little workhorse). :-D

Many thanks for passing on the baton: I was a bit bushed myself after shipping a load of tractors to Riga, but I'm scheduled to take off for Vilnius tomorrow afternoon (no idea about my cargo yet, of course), and hopefully my very short trip of 130+ miles can't (and therefore won't) involve any unexpected detours. Which I fear will probably also mean that my PIREP won't be nearly as interesting as yours.... 8-\

Many thanks for a great couple of PIREPs, and my warmest regards to you! :-)

Cheers,

Bruce

a.k.a. brian747

I <3 the 146 as well. Great Herky civil hauler...It feels like a military C-something that carries chickens instead of Heroes. ...baduum...tish. :faint:

I have to say, I have not experienced that kind of climb rate from it...the Dash-8 otoh, yes, while inverted... :th_blush:

Thanks also for the dual chapter PIREP, helped me feel a bit less self conscious after my 3 part'r.

:thum:

Great story and screenshots Chuck!

Now, that take off.. had you been in a FinnAir plane I'd say it would have been standard procedure.. their pilots are regarded as some of the craziest pilots around up here, pushing the metal hard on takeoff...... although, there can't have been much complaints about the noise considering how fast you got up to altitude ;)

Nice flight and glad they let you land this time, well, the second time around!

Thanks to getting us to Riga, I hope Brian (aka Bruce, aka Alan Tracey, aka brian747) has the baton safe stored!

Don't tell anyone, but the baton is actually already in Vilnius, Joe. My flight was scheduled for this afternoon, it left on time, and <*cough*> 132 nm in a 744, in the nearest thing to a dead straight line that I think I've ever seen on a flight plan, doesn't take all that much flight time.    :cool:

So prepare for perhaps the dullest PIREP on record — although there was, it's true, a slight complication which might rescue the thing from complete boredom. Or... or not. (You tell me — no, on second thoughts I'm sure you will).   :P

I have special permission from the memsahib to work on my PIREP tonight, so hopefully I should be able to post it tomorrow — as long as it's more than 36 hours after the previous one posted of course, like wot the rules sez.

Innit.    :wacko2:

OK, now where did I put my quill...?

(Don't answer that!)    :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Bruce / Alan / brian747 / etc.

I used to be undecided, but these days I'm not quite sure....

• 3 weeks later...