Need Recommendations for a new WX Program

I'm looking for a good payware, add-on, RW WX program that works for both FSX and P3D V2, without any additional purchase over and above the base package. I have REX + Overdrive and have been happy with that for FSX. However, when I tried to install it for P3D it became clear that something else has to be purchased for that, which didn't make me very happy.

Since I'm going to have to shell out some more hard-earned loot to get what I need for both sims, I'd like to hear what I can get that will cover both for one price.

Any suggestions?

John

I agree with you john I thought they were taking the piss when they want you to pay for an extra licence however they are the only company that creates new textures, all the rest use what is in fsx

if you want my tuppence here goes:

Opus, jack of all trades master of none, they mess around with all your views and add a few more , i want a weather prog, not something that adds a whole load of stuff besides the weather, i had it a couple of years ago but went off it

Active sky, absolutely great at the moment  it is arguably the best out at the moment  having just leapfrogged past rex however it has been thus for over 5 years now one month one is better another month the other is better i tried their trial and was impressed however do i need another weather prog when i already have 2?

FSGRW super program very quick to create the weather very quick to give metars, in some ways it is more accurate at altitude and perhaps better for the jet fliers than some of the others, but it also uses the textures in fsx , but a lot of work and thought has gone into this prog and i would not over look it in favour of some of the "flashier" progs

I have put rex 4 textures into p3d (which you dont need a licence for) and use fsgrw as the weather engine , but getting down to the nitty gritty , if like me you have been happy with rex it must be cheaper to pay for the rex p3d licence than buy a completely new weather prog.

a last little bit of info, I was surprised to find that the amount of vas rex used was considerably less than the others when i did a test about 6 months ago , this may be important to some users especially those using dx9 or p3d

Hi John,

The P3D license upgrade for REX overdrive is only $4.99 and would be the cheapest way forward plus you know the program well.

For both sims I now use Active Sky Next ($49) for the weather generation And REX4 ($35) Texture direct for the graphics, that's quite an expensive upgrade but covers both sims. Of course you could get 10% off at PC Aviator!

Cheers,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Active Sky, FSGRW, and Opus. I found that Opus was a bit complex to use and FSGRW was a bit restrictive. Well you know what's coming next...

I think ASN abstracts away a lot of the detail, while leaving the user in control of the program. This is apart from my subjective opinion that ASN produces the best weather.

I would say that if you don't have EZdok, and you want a view system; consider Opus, with its camera module.

I am parotting Mutley, but I use REX textures, Active Sky Next, EZdok and TrackIR. I haven't used REX weather.

I have the licence for REX P3D and it was very cheap, just wondering though if I am doing anything wrong. If I have been using the weather generator with FSX-SE and then need to use it in P3D I have to change the path in the configurator screen and this then launches the weather radar and the sim, it is not a major issue but just wondering if this is the correct way. I understand that you only need to load terxtures if you want to change the theme but not sure if this is the correct way to swop the weather generator from one sim to another...

I do have ASN but it was not working with P3D v2.5 or FSX-SE for a while and got impatiant so bought REX. I think eventually I will use ASN for P3D weather with REX textures and use REX in FSX-SE for both.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I have just looked at my version (REX Essential + Overdrive HD) when changing the folder path to another sim it doesn't fire up the weather. Check in the configuration manager/weather engine screen as there are options that autostart the weather engine and flight simulator.

As for ASN, there is an update avaialble.that works with P3D V2.5  

Cheers I will look into it...when I change path it launches both the weather and sim...easy but it would be nice not to need to change path everytime.

I will check for ASN update..

Thanks

Wayne