Are you doing it? (oooh-err)

I have never done this before so i thought that this year I would have a go.  I am going to do it in in a P38 Lightning**, because it fits the bill and is a doddle to fly,

I noticed weather conditions mentioned in the blurb and having a tadpole brain i was a bit confused by them. were these the best or worst conditions that are allowed? Can I set up FSX to be a still clear sunny day and toddle around the sky in sun cream? 

** No not that you pervert!

JG, there are weather situation files included for the test flight and for the rally, you shouldn't have to do anything other than choose your aircraft and work out the navigation.

I am really looking forward to it!

@ Falcon - I did a little poking around and here's the deal. The download files are not flight plans as I first thought, they are saved flights, which will place you in the right place and time. To use them you'll have to unzip the downloaded FLT files to [C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Scenarios\Common], at least that's where they are on my installation. It appears the associated WX files should be placed with them.

Load P3D and from the Top-Line menu -> Flights -> Load and you'll see them. Select the one you want an you'll be placed at the starting position for the respective rally leg. If you want flight plan files, you'll have to read the provided information and construct your own from the data given, either in P3D, Plan-G or your favorite flight planner.

Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, these will work in P3D and you can compete in P3D.

If you have any more issues post here and we'll help all we can.

John

Hi Falcon, the rally is a navigational challenge so you have to do the flight planning otherwise there would be no fun in just following a pre-made plan.

Where we refer to FSX it works for P3D as well.

Joe

• Like 1

Hi Falcon, the rally is a navigational challenge so you have to do the flight planning otherwise there would be no fun in just following a pre-made plan.

Where we refer to FSX it works for P3D as well.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

The very reason I pulled out of last years race. Realizing I knew nothing at all of navigational flying, I was in over my head before I even started. This year is no different, however I have added VOR and ADF points to a rudimentary "navigational plan" (I use that term loosely) and I will attempt to find those points as I meander over the terrain, doing my best to avoid any large peaks that might be in my way. I do not expect to be competitive, however I will enjoy myself as I've never flown this area of the world before.

Looking forward to the start.

@ Ed - It's not really a competition as such. Your primary opponent in your mind should be your own target time and how close you can come to it. Forget about the others and see what you can do. If you do it this year, I can promise that next year will be easier and you'll love it.

John

Ed - what I use is Plan-G to plot a course then save it as an FSX flight plan as a back-up to 'pure' navigation. Also gives a good idea of where you are generally with times

Thanks. I use FSTramp with the flight plan I produced in the P3D Flightplanner input to display. Makes for sort of a "Sectional" chart I can use for reference. Also gives me good references for mountainous areas and altitudes.

I tried Plan-G but even on a nice computer it was painstakingly slow. When FSTramp was released I jumped on it. Some time this month he is supposed to release the last update which is the "drag n' drop" function for producing flight plans like FSNav had back in the day.

Learned a bit about rallys back in the day doing a GAAR (2008?)  Let's see if all that $$$ spent on flight training applies to the MEBAR.

Doing the test flight in the Bronco was pretty sweet.  Figured out where the DME readout was (embedded in the DG, and analog no less!)  If that beast had an auto pilot (or if I ever find it) I may never fly anything else.

That was a cracking choice of aircraft Pete, we are getting some good ones this year.

Having said that I am in a DC-3 so I'm going to look for something else to enter as well.

Filed mine for leg one last night John, so now all I have to do is wait and see how it turned out... and figure out how to get my poor little Legacy to get over the peaks on the next leg.... it was struggling to manage the high ground on leg 1....

Thanks guys.  I flew leg one yesterday and did it in much less time than I thought.  Then I realized I had missed out a way point, so now I will start again!!

Just to confirm what Chuck said, PIREPs can be submitted any time up to the date it is due, the results however will not be on screen until the due date.

I have received several PIREPs already.  :thum:

and figure out how to get my poor little Legacy to get over the peaks on the next leg.... it was struggling to manage the high ground on leg 1....

Yep, this is my first Rally so anything can kick me... I thought the difficult part would be the navigation, but already in the 2nd leg I'm becoming an expert. The challenging thing have been climbing the mountains. Not that the Mooney is a bad climber, it's just me that sometimes I treat her as if it was a rocket.