Some people love 'em some people hate 'em.

This is a fun element, by default, legs 2 and 4 do not have published target times before you fly. 

However, some pilots would rather know what their target is, if you are one of those please email the rally and request the times and we would be happy to oblige  :hat:

Joe

Some of us would probably prefer not to have known what the target times were for any of the legs! Although the Monospar did a creditable time for leg 1, :) I now realise that it probably needs either more powerful engines or a tunnelling attachment. :whis:

• Like 2

That can be an option for future rallies John, or enter another aircraft and I will hide the times for you, all you have to do is mention it on the registration form  :hat: 
PS I have your PIREP filed away ready for publication.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't look at the Target Time before flying a Leg. This is for 2 reasons:

1. Andrew and Joe spend a considerable time working out the appropriate formula for each MEBAR Leg so that our individual Test Flight Times/Average Speed can be converted to produce specific Leg Target Times. Our job, as Pilots, is to fly the Leg keeping as close to our Average Speed as possible and execute Landings, T&G's, ascents and descents, navigation, etc as close to RW as possible. Not an easy task!

2. If you know the Target Time and you slow down/speed up, cut corners, whatever, then what's the point of comparing Flight Times?

Now, some experienced Pilots manage to get really close to Blind Leg Flight Times. That, to me, is a great result and should be applauded - and it must be rewarding to Andrew and Joe when it happens.

Lastly, a Big Thank You to Andrew and Joe for all their efforts. It is appreciated, Mates! :thum:

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Thanks for your vote of confidence Dai!

I agree on the option to have no target times, but I would like to have an indication if I was ahead or behind the target time.

A + or - sign would do the trick?

Hi Johan,
An indication of your progress in flight is not possible, we're not that clever! As Dai said, if you try to keep to your average speed as stated in the results spreadsheet in the cruise, you should be somewhere close barring any accidents!

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe,

With indication I meant an indication in the result (Proficiency Rating). A +95.15% would mean that I was on the fast side, a -95.15% would mean I was on the slow side.

As to my cruise/descent I can not do much except to plan to stay close to my average speed by calculating wind factor, etc. However, I do have an option of a few climb profiles, by knowing if I was slow or fast, I can choose another climb profile. We do spend a lot of time in the climb and the wrong profile can cost you in time.

Dai, the only way to stay close to your target/average speed is to slow down or to speed up, that is why we do the wind triangle calculations. In normal flight, you would adjust your ETE's/ETA's and just fly close to your normal power profile/settings. Here, being a Rally, you have too adjust your power profile to try and maintain an average GS, thus you have to fly some legs with a higher IAS and some with a lower IAS. Or do I miss the point completely?

Anyway, a big thank you to Andrew and Joe for putting this together and it is much appreciated!

Johan

Ah, see what you mean Johan, in your example it could be expressed as + or - 4.85, I will discuss with the committee.  :thanks:

Your feedback is very helpful and I am pleased you have joined in with the spirit of the rally!

Joe

Some of us would probably prefer not to have known what the target times were for any of the legs! Although the Monospar did a creditable time for leg 1, :) I now realise that it probably needs either more powerful engines or a tunnelling attachment. :whis:

Me too I love the idea of blind legs.

That can be an option for future rallies John, or enter another aircraft and I will hide the times for you, all you have to do is mention it on the registration form  :hat: 

PS I have your PIREP filed away ready for publication.

Great I'm  look forward to this option  on the next rally 

Cheers

Steve