Hi

Is there a way (or a gauge) to display fuel content in each tank without stopping the simulator to go through the fuel/ cargo menu?

I'm Flying the Flight Replicas P-40 and i know i've run out of fuel from the external tank when the engine quits. And it generally quits when I'm away from the simulator! I guess Murphy's law has something to do with this.

Thanks in advance

Ros

The P-40 was built way back in the day.  No gauges for drop tanks, which is why fighter pilots always wore those big fancy watches and carried around a bunch of charts and graphs.  You could search around for another fuel gauge and adapt it for the P-40s drop tank, or set a timer and have an alarm go off hopefully before the tank goes dry.

Also, unless mission fuel was really tight, it was typical to switch to internal tanks and get rid of the drop tank while there was still some fuel in it (based on time, as Auger mentions). It was considered an unnecessary risk to run a tank dry before switching - ask John Denver.

John

Thanks for the hints guys.

When trimmed for level flight, this Aircraft can fly straight without much input, so I can sometimes leave the sim to answer a phone call, have a glass of water or ... you know. :D

So, if there is no way to display the tank fuel quantity I have two solutions:

1) use a timer

2) switch to a full tank when leaving the sim!

Also Ros' have a look at FSXTimes.wordpress.com, if there isn't a gauge there for your needs Tom will most likely make one for you.

You have to register with him which is simple, then he will send you any gauge you want. Some are free but his new gauges have a small cost.

I use his gauges on my Saitek FIPs and they are pretty neat. If you don't have any Saitek FIPs he might know how to add the gauge you want into your aircraft.

Good luck.

I use his gauges on my Saitek FIPs and they are pretty neat. If you don't have any Saitek FIPs he might know how to add the gauge you want into your aircraft.

Good luck.

Are these custom made gauges for the FIP or can you use any gauges in the FIP?