Hi all, back again with a small problem. When approaching London City on an ILS Approach using the correct frequencies everything goes perfectly until at approximately 3000 ft altitude and lined up on the correct runway ,at the last moment my aircraft turns away and heads off to who knows where. This does not happen at all airports as most work perfectly. My approach speed is correct,the frequency is correct ,the altitude is correct ,so where am I going wrong ? I look forward to getting any help I can from you as my last hiccups were sorted instantly. Many thanks and kind regards . Bert

Hi Bert, it would help if you told us which aircraft and which London City airport you are using. Are they add ons or default? Are you below the glidepath and in approach mode on the autopilot? With a little more info we might solve this.

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,thank you for your reply. I am using the Learjet 45 Aniversary edition (Microsoft standard supply ) and London City Airport is listed on the available airports in Microsoft. I was not aware that there was a number of city airports and I am probably using the incorrect frequency. I do not have this problem on many approaches in other areas. I am in the approach mode and am below the glide slope. If you know the frequencies for the various London City Airports I would like to try them and will let you know how I get on. Hope this info helps but many thanks for taking time to reply to me. Kind regards. Bert. Ps I have no problem with Heathrow,Luton etc.

London City is EGLC. There are two ILSs in FSX, one each for runway 10 and 28, actually opposite ends of the same runway. Both happen to have the same frequency in FSX 111.150 MHz. That's common in the real world too but there they shut off the one not in use so there's no chance of interference. I think in FS, that can sometimes be problematic.

You haven't mentioned the approach course setting, that must be set to 096 for Runway 10 and 276 for runway 28.

Also, 3,000' sounds kind of high for that approach. The airport elevation is only 19' and the typical approach altitude is about 2,000' above the airport elevation unless terrain or obstacles are an issue. I looked at the real world EGLC approach plates and they are specifying 2,000' for the glide slope intercept.

It's normal to descend to that altitude at some point a fair distance from the airport and fly level at that height until intercepting the glide slope. You should already be aligned with the localizer at least a couple of miles before that occurs.

It's important to always intercept the glide slope from below for a coupled approach (i.e. with the autopilot engaged in APR mode). If you try to intercept the glide slope from above, many autopilots become somewhat unpredictable.

John

• Like 1

...If you know the frequencies for the various London City Airports I would like to try them and will let you know how I get on. ...

You can find the ILS freq for Every airfield (that has ILS) by opening up the Map in the Simulator, find the airport on the map and click on it. A window will open with airport information including comm and nav frequencies, runways and headings, VORs if any. It won't give you GS approach/intercept altitudes, but, in general, about 2,000 ft above field elevation and 4-5 miles out should be approximately close enough (terrain permitting ofc)

Thanks John for your comment above, I didn't realize ILS should be caught from "below", possibly explains a great many problems I have been having with intercepting the GS/Localizer. :D

You can of course intercept it at 2000', but it Will still have a 5.5deg slope, so it Will result in

abnormal behavior of default AP. Try to fly the approach manually instead, following the glideslope indicator on the PFD. it should be even more fun (and frightening)!

Thank you John,Ros and Geoff for all your welcome advice. I must have been having a senior moment and completely forgot the basics for ILS approaches. I have however followed your advice and once again am enjoying the thrill of navigating into London City Airport. I had completely forgotten how to get the correct course settings making landing very amateurish yet good fun as you battled for control. Again. Many thanks. Bert

If you know the frequencies for the various London City Airports I would like to try them and will let you know how I get on. 

There are some pretty good free airport diagrams in the MH File Library that contain all the necessary information.   ;)

John