TABLET CONNECTION

Hi all you tech minded people. I have a 7 inch HP tablet that runs on windows 8.1 and I am wanting to know if it is posible to display something like say my GPS on there whilst I am flying. I like to fly GA and on some I find if it has a built in GPS it is a little small whilst in VC so I open one and size it down, and stick in the corner of the screen. I am just not sure if I can send things to a tablet or if they have to physically connect to the card like a 2nd monitor would.

Thanks

Wayne

You need an app written for your tablet, but i'm afraid there is none for win8.1 tablets, at least i did not found one. There are a few out there, which gives you a moving map, flight instruments or CDU on your tablet, but those are for Android or iPad. The win8 app offering (for tablets) is quiet short at this time, maybe in the future there will be more. Microsoft hopes that it will be. Or you can trade your win tablet for an android one and you have more apps to choose from.

They connect to the sim via WiFi. So, you need the app installed on your tablet, and a small app( the server part) on your PC. The only thing needed to set up is to enter the IP number of your router in the app and is good to go.

Cheers gunner.... I have a samsung on android but dont get to see that much...I bought this HP for some reports I have to do on the go... they are all in word so it was easy save to cloud etc...then the client wanted them hand written so it sits there doing nothing...

Wayne

Cheers gunner.... I have a samsung on android but dont get to see that much...I bought this HP for some reports I have to do on the go... they are all in word so it was easy save to cloud etc...then the client wanted them hand written so it sits there doing nothing...

Wayne

Well then...time to put it in a good use :). Make a google account, (if you don't have one all ready), hit the Play store (or what the name it is now) and search for FSX.

This one is pretty cool...both the Map and the Gauge app. Well worth the money and you can try it for free, its working for 5 minutes. Then you have to hit the back button and restarts for another 5.

http://vineripesoftware.wordpress.com/flightmap/

Eddie,

• 1 year later...

Last night installed the Vineripesoftware ("Flightmap") mentioned above and it worked well with easy install and instant action. Very impressed. Best A$7 I've spent!

So I build my flight plans in Plan-G, export them. Load into FSX, and they are auto-transferred to the Vine App on my 10" Samsung Android tablet. Real time display on Google Maps, with route, waypoints showing, and gauges on RHS - IAS, Hdg, Alt, Fuel Remaining. So I now have a choice of Naving with either (1) Garmin GPS on FSX full screen (crappy display) or (2) FSX windowed, with Plan-G windowed moving map (excellent map) or (3) FSX full screen on PC with separate Flightmap display on my Tablet (excellent map). 

• Like 1

I don't have an Android based tablet but I wouldn't mind trying out this nice little mock GPS if I did. I wonder if you can buy one of those clamp type fixtures to attach it to a yoke like the RW pilots do.:thum:

One thing I noticed though is that he had only about 550 airports in his database when there are probably around 50,000 airports in the world and he didn't mention being able to change the navdata so it is a bit limited in certain ways.