they dont make lady pilots like they used to

That actress is cute.....uh, oh yea, they did a great service at a time of need. :D Only kidding, I saw this some time ago, did some extra digging and was impressed with their stories. :hat:

There are some great books published for electronic readers on the subject. Most of the ones I've downloaded are in (.mobi) format which are readable on several platforms. I try to stay away from Amazon and Kindle because of their draconian DRM.

Most of the ones I've downloaded are in (.mobi) format which are readable on several platforms.

@ March - where do you get them?  How do the prices compare with editions for Kindle, etc?

John

Sorry, John, I don't remember where I got them - usual for a yachtie where most videos and books (electronic and otherwise) are traded back and forth at will. Pam originally got them, but I've read them and they're fascinating.

Here are the titles:

Fly the Storm.mobi
In a Moon's Course.mobi
Spitfire Women of WWII.mobi
The Female Few.mobi

I'm reminded of one incident in Guy Gibson's "Enemy Coast Ahead", where he said pilots were becoming uneasy flying the Beaufighter, saying it was 'unlandable'. They stopped complaining when an ATA woman landed it perfectly!

A well deserved medal and recognition - but begs some questions about other areas of the flying services, such as Bomber Command who still don't have a campaign medal - just the European Service medal, given to every serving person from D-Day on

...where he said pilots were becoming uneasy flying the Beaufighter, saying it was 'unlandable'.

Also reminiscent of the F4U Corsair.  When first introduced the Navy pilots experienced very high accident rates making carrier landings, mainly because of poor visibility over the huge cowling.  It took the RN pilots use of a continuously curving approach to the boat to show that it could be successfully operated from aircraft carriers.  In the meantime the Navy stuck to the Hellcat and the land-based USMC pilots got a great plane that the Navy might not have been so quick to turn over to them were it not for the carrier landing difficulties.

John

Spitfire Women of WWII I have in paperback - came from The Works, in their 3 books for £5 deal. Good book.

As regards DRM on ebooks, it's the publishers you should be moaning at, not Amazon. Amazon just wants to sell you stuff, they don't care one way or the other whether it has DRM attached.

As regards DRM on ebooks, it's the publishers you should be moaning at, not Amazon. Amazon just wants to sell you stuff, they don't care one way or the other whether it has DRM attached.

Doesn't appear to be the case, Tim.

The same books are available from different sources, some with and some without DRM.

All Amazon books can only be read on the SPECIFIC Kindle for which they were purchased. This can only be avoided by buying books on the same account for two or more Kindles (I think up to 5) . This means that if my wife and I want to read the same book, we either have to physically trade Kindles or re-download to a different Kindle (provided that different Kindle is registered to the same account).

I make these comments FYI. This is likely not the right forum for these comments.