Life on the Western Front in the Imperial German Flying Corps - A Career in Rise Of Flight

That looks so fun Andrew. Very fun read, with great illustrations...the models look great in that Sim.

re:

"At this rate, the 'Frogs' will capitulate and the pompous English buffoons will be sent packing back across the Channel before Christmas,..."

My magic 8 ball says "Outcome uncertain". Hang in there...

Yes Matt, there is some suggestion already that you Americans could become involved, particularly if we are not careful with our submarine operations.  Now, that would definitely ruin my plans for Christmas this year, next year and the year after that too.

• Like 2

Andrew, I've been using PWCG for a couple of years now.

One main reason being that I can play offline and the saves are on my HD. ( I'm a bit "old school" for this and I don't like to depend from a remote server). It gives you the possibility to start on January 1st 1916.

Second reason is that there is a lot more historical research in the units, the aircrafts, the liveries and their airfields  ( Pat Wilson is a veteran modder of the WW1 era and was already well known for his mods in Red Baron 3D)  It gives you more flexibiliy in the mission planning if you are flight leader ( altitude of waypoints, number of planes, choice of pilots, fuel quantity for the flight ) and the missions are more historical. 

The vanilla "career mode" often generates odd missions like often asking german planes to make patrols deep inside enemy territory when we know that the general orders for german Luftstreitkräfte were to stay on their side of the front and not venture on the other side.

You can also change a lot of parameters to adapt the campaign and missions to what your computer can take ( number of objects on the ground, number of flights, flak density, etc... )

Just explaining, not trying to sell it...  :)

Loic,

Thank you for clarifying that.  I had downloaded the PWCG with all the other historical skin downloads but just hadn't installed it.  I needed to just get back into RoF before getting too far out of my depth.  I will certainly be exploring the PWCG in the near future.

Cheers

Andrew

Now look Andrew, I think there is something you should remind yourself of here.  You seem to be getting very deeply into your role and quite frankly it is starting to worry me a bit. 

So what you should be reminding your self is that:

THE GERMANS ARE THE BAD GUYS.

And besides I have never heard of an Andrew  :censored:  Von  :censored:  Godden. So you will probably die.

• Like 1

Now look Andrew, I think there is something you should remind yourself of here.  You seem to be getting very deeply into your role and quite frankly it is starting to worry me a bit. 

So what you should be reminding your self is that:

THE GERMANS ARE THE BAD GUYS.

And besides I have never heard of an Andrew  :censored:  Von  :censored:  Godden. So you will probably die.

J.G. I suspect you know there is no Good and Bad, only Winners and Losers, the former of the latters deciding who is the latter of the formers. Frankly, I am relieved that Andrew is a stickler for historical accuracy....because VonGardner would sound like crap! (Dieing is optional i hope, maybe just lose an eye or something...bet you would look awesome in a pirate patch) :P

• Like 1

A very good WWII submarine simulation, Silent Hunter III, could only be played from the perspective of a German U-Boat commander. Their next one, Silent Hunter IV, was from the US perspective, in the Pacific theater, where Nimitz once defined an island as a body of land entirely surrounded by submarines.

John

J.G. I suspect you know there is no Good and Bad, only Winners and Losers, the former of the latters deciding who is the latter of the formers. Frankly, I am relieved that Andrew is a stickler for historical accuracy....because VonGardner would sound like crap! (Dieing is optional i hope, maybe just lose an eye or something...bet you would look awesome in a pirate patch) :P

I have a terrible premonition that I could lose a leg...most probably the right one.

A very good WWII submarine simulation, Silent Hunter III, could only be played from the perspective of a German U-Boat commander. Their next one, Silent Hunter IV, was from the US perspective, in the Pacific theater, where Nimitz once defined an island as a body of land entirely surrounded by submarines.

John,

Don't get me started, I have all the Silent Hunter series, and there are only so many hours in a day. The last in the series was Silent Hunter V and it placed you back in command of a German U-Boat, a Type VII specifically.

OK, I don't want to hijack your very interesting thread - just wanted to point out another example of playing as the "enemy", in the case of SH3, not even optional. I didn't buy SH5 because from what I read they kind of screwed up the user interface.

Carry on, mein herr.

John

I loved the Silent Hunter series. best played in the dark or with a red light on. Very atmospheric, a long game with planning attack and evasion and escape equally important.   

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

Four and a half years is a long time between drinks and an even longer time in war. However, the beauty of our obsession is that it can be held in a stasis for as long as it takes us to return to it. In this case, the return and continuing adventures of the decorated, gallant, and erudite Lothar Kramer is marked by two major events.

Firstly, a new flight simulator PC (see specifications below the signature block), which adds new dimensions to how Rise of Flight runs (among other simulators), along with TrackIR 5, and dusting off my Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar and rudder pedals...a slight overkill for a World War I combat flight simulator, but a brilliant asset nonetheless. Secondly, on returning to Lothar's career in Jasta 2, his return to flying duties after being wounded in action.

When last we caught up with Vizerfeldwebel Kramer, it was 1st October 1916, and barely a month into his ever-increasing illustrious career in the Imperial German Flying Corp. On this day during a Protection Patrol sortie, he was wounded in action after crash landing in No Man's Land. After a brief stint recuperating in hospital, Lothar returned to flying duties at his unit, Jasta 2, on 6th October 1916, and to also be greeted with his promotion to Feldwebel.

With all missions cancelled for the day, the new Feldwebel Kramer had to wait until the next day to get back into the air. Allocated to an Alert Patrol sortie, it produced immediate success, both for Jasta 2 and Lothar, and another two personal kills of English flyers put Feldwebel Kramer further ahead on Jasta 2's tally board.

To be continued.....

When next we hear from Feldwebel Kramer, it is hoped some recent photos of his adventures will be included.

• 2 weeks later...