Having just started in the world of FSX I completed the first few missions for beginners and smugly thought to myself I must have been a pilot in a previous life!

Wrong!!! It took me seven attempts to complete the mountain take off, fly and landing and I lost count of the number of attempts to get that bloody glider up in the thermals, pass through all those gates and land safely.

Still I have mastered lessons 1-7, been awarded my wings and next up is flying a jet over Scotland which will make a pleasant change because at least it will have some engines!

Also is there a thread somewhere on here listing Chiropractors because my Neck, back and shoulders are suffering big time with all this flying :)

Mike

I am glad to see that you are progressing well with your lessons but sorry to hear about your back.  I know the feeling only too well!  Flying a jet is much more comfortable than a glider, I can say this with some authority as I started my FSX career in gliders as will.  My career then took me through some RAF trainers along the way ( I can recommend Ants Airplanes freeware Tiger Moth as a first powered aircraft) and now I mostly fly fast jets, with my SkySim Bae Hawk trainer being a personal favorite.

None of the above will help your back. You may as well face the fact right now and accept it.  Or, perhaps you could use FSX to fly around the major UK cities to see if you can find a virtual Chiropractor.   So if anyone ever accuses you of spending too much time on the computer, you can say that you have a bad back and are looking for a good Chiropractor.  It's a win-win  ;)  :thum:  

Try a lighter grip on the yoke/stick there friend  :P  The white knuckle stress goes straight to the neck and shoulders. :D

Consider banking more time on your Basic Training lessons and get your skills in the trainer 172 up, play with the cub, maybe even the Beech Bonanza (not much harder to fly than a single actualy...)...tour around and explore the Sim environment, fly in different weather conditions, try out some crosswind landings, challenge yourself to harder and smaller fields. Completing training is a big step "towards" mastery...which comes to you later on in 24kt crosswinds, deep in a gorge trying to deliver supplies to hunters along a narrow curved beach. :D

Cheers.

...maybe even the Beech Bonanza (not much harder to fly than a single actualy...)

...for obvious reasons - it IS a single.   ;)

I'll bet you meant the Baron.

John

Yeah, go for the training lessons in the C172 and take your student and private pilote certificate.

Thats the way its done in real life.

Also, what you learn there, train in free flight. Choose an easy airfield. Could be one of your local ones and make touch and go some times. Take a lesson, the free flights and repeat.

Your back and neck ache most probably comes from hanging in the joystick with to much tension. Remember, its all about trimming the AC and adjusting throttle. The stick/yoke is only fo adjustments.

A comfortable chair is a must. After all, you will be spending a lot of time in it.

My Pre flight checklist;

Wife's to do list completed.   Check

Comfort break.   Check 

Comfortable chair.   Check

Tea/coffee,              Check

Wine/G&T.*             Check

2nd Comfort break. (It's an age thing).   Check

Check in at Mutley's.   Check

Fire up FSX.   Check

Configure AC. Check

Download REX   Check

Press 'Fly Now'  Check

"It's bedtime!"     :(

* Only if autoland is available.

Remember the "P" key too - it's good for more than just bathroom breaks.  

Get up and stretch once in a while, refill that coffee cup, get briefly reacquainted with your family.  FSX will still be right where you left it.

John

Ha, ha,

Loving some of the comments above. I am definitely holding the joy stick to hard and yes it has gone straight to my neck & shoulders. The height of it did not help either as I had it on my desk in front of the monitor.

I stuck it to a tray today with its rubber feet and had it on my lap, that worked much better.

The "P" key was used a lot today John, I was working (cough, cough) from home today and the amount of phone calls I received whilst flying!

Mike

Aircraft.....all these terms will come to you in time...main thing is you have been biten....its a fantastic thing but try not to get too bogged down with tinkering... we all tend to tinker with settings to much when we should be flying..

Wayne

Hi Mike,

Your back and neck aches are probably being caused by two things one already mentioned of the DEATH GRIP on the joystick. The second is the fact of your joystick stuck up in the air on your desk.

Screw the joystick to a piece of wood and then screw the other end of the wood to the underneath of your office chair. Now the joystick will be between your legs as it would in most aircraft.

This will give you a more relaxed flying experience.

Cheers, Mike.

chaircontrol_zpsedinyxqp.jpg

chaircontrols_zpsxwdrfvem.jpg     The rudder pedals made of stuff lying around the house and didn't cost me a dime. They work very well too.

:( so wish I had thought about just assembling my old CH pedals onto a piece of 2x4. Gah. :th_blush::wacko2::(

Very creative sir. Very well done low budget McGyver job there. Cheers...I love it.

Note to self: Next time a project goes south after midnight, toss it into a cardboard box instead of the marina.

Thanks Mike, I have gone over to having the joy stick stuck on a tray on my lap which is lower and better but I am liking your idea. I will give that modification some thought and sort something out.

Mike

A couple of you above talk about "trimming the AC" and "configuring the AC"

What is the AC?

Mike

Welcome to the world of a million abreviations. It can be impossible to read forum threads sometimes. And it takes forever to learn them.

I like that joystick arrangement. It looks really .... enjoyable, I would say

A couple of you above talk about "trimming the AC" and "configuring the AC"

What is the AC?

Mike

Welcome to the world of a million abreviations. It can be impossible to read forum threads sometimes. And it takes forever to learn them.

I like that joystick arrangement. It looks really .... enjoyable, I would say

TFTDB...............................Thanks for that DB.............. :D