Dovetail Games to partner with Orbx!

dovetail.png~original orbx.png~original

Chatham, Kent – 7th May 2015

Dovetail Games, the multi award-winning developer and publisher of a range of simulation games recently announced that it has agreed a partnership with flight simulation software publisher and developer Orbx Simulation Systems.

The partnership will enable Dovetail Games to publish new and existing Orbx add-on content for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition on Steam. Under this agreement, brand new Orbx content released by Dovetail Games will have a 90-day exclusivity period on Steam before being made available on other channels.

Designed with accessibility in mind, the upcoming Orbx releases for FSX: Steam Edition are optimized specifically for the Steam platform. This high-quality scenery will feature an automatic installation process via Steam, and will be completely self-contained without any dependencies on previous releases from Orbx.

CEO John Venema said, “We're thrilled to be partnering with Dovetail Games, and look forward to a long and fruitful relationship. My meetings with the team were friendly, positive and productive and I believe there are many exciting opportunities ahead for us.”

Tim Gatland, Chief Technology Officer at Dovetail Games added, “Orbx is highly respected in the flight simulation community and we are delighted to be able to work together in partnership to bring their scenery to Steam.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition was launched by Dovetail Games in December 2014.  It delivers authentic aviation experience for simulation enthusiasts and those with a passion for aviation.  The game is available now on Windows PC via Steam. For further information, please visit www.dovetailgames.com or https://fsxinsider.com/.

HMMMMMMM, there could be more to this than meets the eye

would i be considered cynical if I said that dovetail had a reputation for gathering failing titles and re-launching it?

ala train sim 2015 and fsx se

I wouldn't regard Orbx as failing! Just a good business decision for them, a whole new audience.

I expect Orbx has a good deal with Dovetail being one of the 'must have' developers software in FSX

I wouldn't regard Orbx as failing! Just a good business decision for them, a whole new audience.

I expect Orbx has a good deal with Dovetail being one of the 'must have' developers software in FSX

A whole new audience ? where? orbx stuff already goes on fsx se with the triple installer, they are not getting anything they didnt already have, they are just giving dovetail more kudos, why?

if you as a company already have a successful distribution network, which orbx has with FSS and Aerosoft what is there to gain by delaying your releases by 90 days to your normal faithful clientele?

unless your normally faithful clientele isnt buying ?

is he lining himself up to be the first onboard the new dovetail sim?

time will tell

if he is then no harm being in from the start and may be pushing things your way a little, I guarantee both parties are looking at what they can gain from this.....

Dovetail make Fishing Simulator.  I bet that's fun!

Sit you man down beside a river and then go out for the evening, check him when you get home! Nothing in the net! Check again in the morning if you can wait that long! Still nothing? this is nail biting stuff!

A whole new audience ? where? orbx stuff already goes on fsx se with the triple installer, they are not getting anything they didnt already have, they are just giving dovetail more kudos, why?

if you as a company already have a successful distribution network, which orbx has with FSS and Aerosoft what is there to gain by delaying your releases by 90 days to your normal faithful clientele?

unless your normally faithful clientele isnt buying ?

is he lining himself up to be the first onboard the new dovetail sim?

time will tell

Nothing in the current Orbx production and release cycles even goes close to suggesting this is nothing more than smart marketing and aligning with a new distribution channel. In fact, everything points to the contrary.

Steam represents a new distribution channel and rather than naysaying and wildly speculating about how Orbx might be doing, you only have to take a look at the approach of other software companies in how they use Steam as an additional and exclusive distribution channel for their products. As an example, 777 Studios have done something similar with the Rise of Flight add-ons, where, on Steam exclusively, you can purchase aircraft bundles as opposed to individual aircraft only via the Rise of Flight online store.

So, smart business sense from JV, a guy who knows how to run his business and not listen to the drivel of those who think they know how to run his business.

• Like 2

Could it be as simple as ORBX wanting to reach out to any new simmers that just found fs as a hobby? :D

Exactly Brett.....but then, let me tell you about a conspiracy theory. :faint::rofl:

• Like 1

Nothing surprising there Anders although it would be nice to find out how well P3D is doing in the commercial world.

One thing missing from this survey is the number of participants, without that number survey's mean nothing to me, not to mention this is a survey from only one site.

Thanks for the link. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but has not the European Parliament outlawed EULA's in the EEC?

I was told by a lawyer studying the issue at the time, that you can agree online to accept the agreement,

but it would never stand up in a EU court of law if tested by the software companies..

The only law covering these software companies is fraudulently copying their work as your own under the copy-write law.

You do not sign a EULA when you buy a car, so why a bit of software that over time like a car will wither away.. 

So I do agree the EULA when activating software, knowing it does not mean anything other than the activation..

Just to clarify, this is a quote from JV awhile back.

Copied from the ORBX forum:

John Venema, on 23 Apr 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Anything we offer DTG for Steam will not be aimed at our core "Orbx enthusiast" core customer base, but the casual Steam gamer looking for simple to install DLCs for FSX:SE. This means no FTX Central, no Objectflow, no FTX regions or Global assumed, default autogen and mostly designed for default terrain. In other words, anything DTG publishes from Orbx will be unique to the platform and not really designed for our core customers.

Saying that, anything brand new published via DTG will have a brief 90-day exclusive-to-Steam period, then followed by our own Orbx triple-installer down the track. This gives us a window to release the FSX:SE-only version, then 90 days to enhance it and release it to our core base as a Global/Regions compatible triple-installer.

Finally, there is a crossover of our core customers who have embraced FSX:SE as their platform of choice and they will continue to use FTX Central to install our full-featured triple-installer built for Global or FTX regions, not the Steam DLC method.

I hope this give you some insight into our foray onto Steam.  End..

James,

This is exactly what I also understood from the partnership announcement.

So much for "...what is there to gain by delaying your releases by 90 days to your normal faithful clientele? unless your normally faithful clientele isn't buying?..."!!!

Isn't it amazing what actually reading the details of a partnership arrangement can do for your level of understanding, instead of just making speculative, uninformed comment in a public forum. You would think people would have more sense!!! :faint:

• Like 2