Leg 21 - VYKL Kalay to VYLS Lashio

I arrived at Kalay late.. way to late for my liking, but that was just the start of my troubles.

News of unidentified aircraft flying low over both Burma and neighburing countries had reached the Burmese military leaders. The airforce were up flying, looking for suspect air traffic, and they were cleared to engage without warning.

So my flight would have to be very much by the books. That unfortunatly meant dealing with alot of red tape and unwilling official officers. 

A week later I had all the permits I needed for the flight, but sadly that meant that I had had to spend all the funds I got from Al for the extra flight in Nepal on greasing the slow grinding wheels of the Burmese officials. 

Finally my C182, in a striking dragon-paint job was ready to go on runway 09. The weather was looking OK at the moment, but there were reports on both Thunderstorms and Wind Shear in the area.

01-Lets-get-this-show-in-the-air.jpg

Pre-flight checks are done, let's fire her up and get out of here.

02-Ready-to-go.jpg

Rotate, but no need to raise the landing gear.

03-Climbing-out.jpg

As I was flying VFR those clouds could mean some issues later on, best stay below them if I can. Let,s head to our first waypoint, the HTILIN (HN) NDB.

04-Clouds-closing-in.jpg

There was a flurry of activity in the air around Kalay, and some came a bit to close for comfort considering the weather. ATC was doing it's best of keeping me informed about the traffic around me.

05-Traffic-in-murky-weather.jpg

Still heading south, with the sounds of the thunderstorms behind me, but the clouds are easing up in front of me.

06-Getting-better.jpg

Still heading south, getting close to my turn to the east over Kyaukty (VYKU)

07-Heading-south.jpg

The weather was improving as I made my way south.

08-Clear-skies-for-a-while.jpg

Heading east towards our next waypoint over Bagan (VYBG).

09-Terrain-raising-as-we-go-east.jpg

The C182 might be faster than a C172, and the exhaust fumes looks way more impressive...

10-Leaving-our-mark-on-the-envo.jpg

The terrain is getting closer I think...

11-Ground-rising-up-to-meet-us.jpg

Turning right over Mandalay Intl (VYMD), heading for the MDY VOR before we turn towards our destination.

12-Turning-north-east-over-Mandalay-intl

As the terrain east of Mandalay starts to raise the clouds close in once again.. If ATC asks I will claim that I maintained VFR though, if I try to change to an IFR flight they will probably deny it and force me to return to Mandalay...

13-Sigh-more-clouds.jpg

A small gap in the clouds gave me a glimmer of hope for better wheather ahead.

14-A-gap.jpg

But man was I wrong, it just kept getting worse..

15-False-hope.jpg

Some rain decided to join me..

16-Oh-joy-some-rain.jpg

..as well as some lightning.

17-And-lightning.jpg

But as we came closer to our destination things started to look better, just some low level clouds/mist to handle.

18-But-there-was-sunshine-later-on.jpg

And considering the higher altitude below us I was glad to have better visibilty.

19-More-hills-as-we-get-closer-to-our-de

The city of Lashio, and our destination, is in there somewhere.. Tower asked me to "Join left hand, on the 45".. never heard that instruction before, but I'm going to assume they want me to join downwind from a 45 degree angle...

20-Somewhere-in-there-is-where-we-are-go

Way to high on downwind, this might get interersting.. good thing there's plenty of room on the runway...

21-Left-downwind-way-high.jpg

Flew the circuit a tad to tight as well, had to turn hard all the way from downwind to finals..

22-Turning-hard-to-finals.jpg

Coming in fast and steep, despite a descending 360 of finals!! 

23-Coming-in-hot.jpg

I can see smoke, that must mean I'm down.

24-Smoke-then-it-counts.jpg

Parked up on the grass. Can't find a suitable place to hide the Baton, so I'd better hold on to it until Dai comes to pick it up...

25-Parked-up-waiting-for-Dai.jpg

Dai, I'll be waiting in the closest bar!

Addons used:

FTX Global Base package

FTX Global Vector

SceneryTech Landclass Asia

Mesh: FSGlobal 2010

Weather: Active Sky Next

Sky and Cloud textures: REX 4 Texture Direct

Plane: A2A C182 Skylane, repaint 97899 by Eberhard Haberkorn available on AVSIM.

Hey! Micke - I'm at the counter!

Lashio_Airport_Bar_zpssajtkok5.jpg

What do you want to drink? And a burger? Well, maybe not, eh?

Take some shots? Oh, Wow! On your iPad - great. You were lucky with the weather.

Be a while before I'm ready to leave, they're loading her right now, over at the old WWII sheds...

Cheers - Dai. :old-git:

Considering the heat I'd opt for a big mojito with plenty of ice please Dai  ;)

And don't worry about the Air force buzzing overhead. I've cleared your departure with the authorities as well, just give the tower a heads up before you depart and it should be covered by my already deposited greasing  ;)  

Smoking flight. (time for a tune-up maybe) :D

Scenery looked great, glad you took lot's of pictures. :cool: I hope all these payoffs do not eat into the bar tab. :(

Thanks everyone!

@Kieran: Red tape is a b**ch, and sadly I need to deal with it more than I wished in real life work :( And in that function bribes isn't a viable option either  ;)

@Matt: Indeed, the terrain overlay on the GPS really should be enough. Why this obsession  with having to see stuff (Good thing I don't have a real PPL  :whis: )

@Brett: There's always funds available for the bar tab, don't you worry.. and from what I've heard about this part of the world the alcohol is cheap, but anything you wan't to mix into it is way expensive ;)

@Pete: I was familiar with the procedure, just never heard it referred to in that way. I use VoxATC at the moment, it's great once you get over the fact that you are talking to your computer  :D

@Micke  Great PIREP.  I am keeping a low profile after the boarder incursion! The F35' stealth properties seem to have had a limited impact, and the Myanmar armed forces are looking for signs of a UFO!