Twin Throttles.... What are my options

Hi Guys,

I hope your all well. I'm having so much fun flying and learning procedures. I've joined a couple of VA's and this is exponential ibcreased my FSX enjoyment.

I'm fairly well setup now with my weather being ASN for the engine and REX4 for the textures - results are amazing. Flight logging and planning by FS Flight Keeper.

My flight system is pretty good being a Saitek X52 Flight System which works well for me but I'd really like twin throttles as I'm mostly flying twin props / turbo props so just wondered what my options are for twin engine control......

Could a throttle from the Saitek Hotas (split throttle) work with my X52 flight stick? Does anyone make a cheap twin throttle USB powered system? Am I just going to have to stop buying aircraft and save for the Hotas?

Before anyone mentions a yoke system...I'm unable to use the foot pedals because of my spinal injuries which is why I sold my Saitek Cessna professional flight system and bought the X52. Ah I've just thought would the throttle system from say a yoke system work independently?

Thanks for all replies Glenn

Glenn,

A throttle quadrant will work independently as it is registered in FSX as a separate "joystick" with an X, Y, and Z axis. Theoretically, as the Saitek HOTAS throttle you mention has it's own USB connector, this should also be true,  However, as this HOTAS is part of the Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino HOTAS System, it is not normally sold separately.  To purchase it as a "special" order may incur a disproportionate increase in cost for the unit versus the whole system.

In this case, the Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant will work perfectly and would be a more cost effective option until you can save for the X-55 Rhino HOTAS System.

Oh, and by the way, you will never be able to stop buying aircraft. :D

Cheers
Andrew

The CH Throttle Quadrant has been good to me.  It's a tad more expensive than two Saitek quadrants, but it's a single box.  I fly a lot of twins and it always works.

Hi guys,

Well I've fixed it ! Looking on gumtree someone in my town was selling this (as it turns out he lived in the next road over!) :

76bd0f4fe548054ae88e7289de09ee41.jpg

Woohoo an early birthday present! The Saitek Pro Flight yoke, rudder pedals, Switch unit are all in fantastic condition and I now have twin throttles using the blue lever as engine 2 throttle. I'm also able to set reverse thrust for the first time which is a real bonus and very handy on very short runways. The switch panel is fantastic For £120 I think I got quite the bargain.

Obviously I can't use the rudder pedals due to my spinal problems so I'll see if I can either swap it for another throttle unit or if I'm very lucky a Radio Switch unit as if like to get one of those.. Or I'll just sell the pedals and put the cash towards a Radio Switch unit.

Best wishes Glenn

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd contribute something on this thread re Saitek throttle quadrants.

There are video's on YouTube regarding the repairs to these, particularly after encountering a spiking ( Unstable throttle movements) that cause the sim throttles to leap about.

Sometimes blasting the potentiometers with WD40 or a contact cleaner may do the trick but this is usually only a temporary fix.

Having encountered this problem a couple of times I enquired about a replacement ( about £50.00 with delivery from Flightstore...... if in stock) but thought I'd try and resolve this myself armed with screwdriver,glue gun and a soldering iron.

The pots. are actually trimpots, typically used on audio equipment and are available from RS Components, The components I fitted are:- Bourns 3386W series Through Hole Cermet Trimmer Resistor with Pin terminals.......... to be precise. A model makers file is needed to modify the fit of the lever to the trimpot slot but don't go too heavy handed on that aspect of the mod. Bending the wires about in the process could cause resoldering if you're not careful and I'd advise hot gluing the pcb terminals to prevent that problem.

Total cost of repair? Well, tools I have but, the trimpots cost £1.47 each and I replaced all three just in case whilst the unit was in bits.

Just in case anybody asks, I'm not going to take pictures or do a video as there are umpteen available on YouTube showing how to get at the pots. It's just the above is an extention to the possible solution of the spiking problem and for not too many pennies.

Regards,

Richard.

I have the CH 6-lever quadrant, which has been trouble-free for many years.

From all I hear and read, Saitek is Japanese for "troublesome".  A notable exception is my Saitek Cessna trim wheel, which has been faultless for several years.

John

I'm with Richard on the Saitek throttle quadrants.

I've got one that connects directly to my Yoke with a P/S2 type connector (comes in the box if you buy the Yoke) and one extra with a USB connection directly to my computer.. works like a charm...

Not sure if there could be an issue if you connect two of them via USB though...

I have loads of Saitek gear and all works fine, the only issue with mine is I have damages the P/S2 connection so it wont fit in the socket, totally my fault being to heavy handed......

Wayne