FSX Power Project - UK Pylons Expansion 2

It's been a long time since my last update to FSXPP (v4.2) - version 4.3 is much delayed due to family commitments (& tragedies), but I've uploaded the added extra electricity pylons & electrical sub-stations to the MH File Library on this site..

Many of you seem to be shifting towards OrbX scenery, but this file will provide approximately 46,000 pylons aligned to GenerationX volumes 1-8 - UK mainland photo-scenery.

Will appreciate any feedback - positive or negative.

Cheers,

Ray.

Thanks for the update, Ray. I for one will be installing your updated pylon network :) You make an interesting comment about "many of us updating to ORBx scenery". I can't imagine why many UK photoscenery users would want to do that when the ORBx landclass scenery isn't particularly realistic, although I guess it has lots of autogen trees and buildings.

I can't imagine why many UK photoscenery users would want to do that when the ORBx landclass scenery isn't particularly realistic, although I guess it has lots of autogen trees and buildings.

I think part of it is that it isn't too unrealistic either, therefore the autogen trees and buildings become more attractive.

I have all the Horizon UK photoscenery and all the UK ORBX scenery but currently use ORBX. Each has its merits but the autogen sways it for me, at least at present.

Chris.

have to agree with you, not least after I've spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours adding 3-D objects to GenX photo-scenery - I'd probably be slightly horrified If I knew exactly how many hours - but this is a hobby, & hobbies are meant to be fun, are they not?

On the other hand, some of the screen-shots of OrbX submitted by fellow MH members do look impressive, if not strictly accurate - certainly a vast improvement on the FSX default scenery.

The CAA, FAA & military users demand absolute positional & scale accuracy, whilst not usually too worried by cosmetic details.

On a side note, it appears that Treescapes for GenX vol.7 (Scotland central) will likely be a pipe-dream after the sad demise of Earth Simulations & do wonder how long GenX will be supported by commercial developers or even retailers.

Thanks for your support (Chris & Brett).

Ray.

• Like 1

Hi Ray, I’m curious,

does your power project covers lines or pylon’s only?

Chris B,

Pylons only.

I did look into attaching lines, possibly using the extrusion tool, but as the pylons are at various distances apart, to do this many thousands of times (most distribution systems have 7 cables/pylon) would seem to take at least a human lifetime.

X-Plane 10 pylons do have power cables, but suspect they have achieved this by inaccurately placing the pylons at equal distances apart, although I'm willing to stand corrected. The X-Plane cable diameters do look unreal - way too large - probably due to the fact that the diameter of a typical cable would be considerably smaller than the pixel size of most displays.

Back to FSX, it would probably be feasible to provide cables on the pylons that cross flight paths into or out of runways.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 2

Chris B,

FSXPP uses the default FSX pylon model, but like the cables, I did look into making my own custom model, but decided that any worthwhile improvement would require an unwelcome rise in the polygon count - not a good thing when hundreds of pylons may be in view at any time.

Each version of the project has been as much about improving the look of the models, while reducing their polygon count (as my modelling skills improved) as of increasing the scenery content. As an example, when I was learning how to model an animated wind turbine I used a GMax tutorial which had a basic model made up of more than 900 polygons - my current wind turbine models have less than 90 polygons.

A slight variation of the FSXPP wind turbine models - two 3-bladed turbines, one fast, one slow rotation & a 2-bladed model - can be freely downloaded for use in freeware scenery projects:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=ray+porter&x=19&y=15

The FSX default pylon is a considerable improvement over the FS9/FS2004 model.

One thing I forgot to mention is that FSX Power Project - Uk Pylons Expansion 2 package can be used stand alone, it does not have to be part of FSXPP.

Cheers,

Ray.

Ray,

Three comments........

ES Treescapes is available for VFR GenX Volume 7 Central Scotland

There are two wind turbines at EGNX East Midlands. Could you possibly add these to FSXPP, as UK2000 East Midlands Xtreme does not include them?

I use ORBx FTX Northern Ireland, and I had FTX Republic of Ireland installed at one point. The rural areas can look very nice with lots of trees and fields, but the big problem for me is urban areas and coastlines. The ground textures in urban areas have never convinced me in landclass scenery, and it is no different with ORBx. The buildings are OK, but they do get repetitive. However, coastlines are rubbish. I purchased VFR GenX Volumes 9&10 Republic of Ireland because I was annoyed by the generic look of FTX Ireland, the massive hit on performance with maximum autogen (and anything less than maximum with landclass scenery looks crap), and the poor coastlines. I am very pleased with my decision. The photoscenery has no trees or buildings whatsoever, and yet it still looks a million times better than the FTX stuff. Final approach to runway 28 at EIDW Dublin is gorgeous now, because the coastlines are so fantastically detailed. The added bonus is the HUGE increase in performance, and that is very welcome with Aerosoft Dublin installed! Now all I need is decent photoscenery of Northern Ireland, and I will dump FTX scenery forever.

EDIT: I personally think that the Republic of Ireland photoscenery looks a damn sight better and more consistent than the England & Wales scenery. There are some annoyingly poor areas in the latter, and I really wish that they could be replaced.

Chris,

I've spent months trying to buy Treescapes for Genx volume 7. Flightstore has always been my first port of call, but despite their apparent relationship with the publisher (Playsims I believe), to no avail. Of course I've looked elsewhere - no luck!

Perhaps you can steer me or I'm sure many other FSX simmers into a source of purchase?

Your 2nd query I've looked into before about the 2 turbines at East MidlandS EGNX, but not found any positional or scale data - Google Earth (which has to be commended, but...) appear to have considerably cut back on their updates, so many of their UK images are still pre year 2000 & close to offshore images where so much is happening these last few years, forget it.

Ray.

They can be clearly seen in the Bing image, Ray.....

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=East+Midlands+airport&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4

http://www.masterwindturbines.com/img/East%20Midlands%20Airport%20DHL.jpg

As for ES Treescapes for VFR GenX Volume 7 Central Scotland, I thought you were saying that it had never been released! Volume 7 of the photographic scenery itself also appears to be hard to find these days......

Chris,

Have only said that I've not been able to find a retailer of Treescapes vol.7. If it's there I'll be eager to buy.

Don't like to critice 'free' software & certainly not amateur freeware, but in my opinion Microft's Bing is an absolute pain to use. Cosmetically it looks nice, but as a serious mapping tool - where is it's lat/long function?

Have used Bing on a few occasions & will look into the turbines you mentioned.

Ray.