Plan G - 3.1.2.101 - Unable to save flight plan

Hi,

I am wonderng if anyone else has had this problem - I am running windows 7 64bit; and I am able to create a flight plan etc just fine. But when I try to do something that I am guessing requires a new popup i.e. save flight plan - nothing happens? it just goes back to the map screen.

This also happens when trying to open a flight plan - click open and nothing pops up to select a plan.

I have tried running in administrator mode and also seeing if the popups were behind the other window but nothing.

If someone could please help I would be so grateful as Plan G was my choice of planning tool :)

Cheers,

Jim

Did you just install a new version?  Anything changed?

John

Yeah I had an old version from ages ago - but then I reformatted my PC. Installing the latest version seems to have this issue for me. I may uninstall and re-install but obviously this is not what I would like to do.

Cheers,

Not sure what's going on there Jim. I have 64 bit Windows 7 also and I uninstalled the earlier version I had before installing the latest one and it works without these issues you seem to be seeing.

I assume you've checked all the file locations are setup correctly - not sure that would make any difference, just a thought really.

...but then I reformatted my PC.

Not sure what you mean by that. More than willing to help but that part has me scratching my head.

John

Really? this means that I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. So complete fresh install of everything. That's standard terminology from where I come from :)

I created a plan and clicked the "File" tab on the top-line menu, then chose "Save as" from the new screen.  It immediately popped up a standard Windows "Save As" dialog box.  

I'm on Windows 7-64, using FSX data and Plan-G version 3.1.2.  

Sabre may be on to something.  Have you looked at the paths in File > Options > Locations to see that they are correct? 

Did you rebuild the FSX database (in Plan-G - - -  Data > Build Navigation Database) after re-installing Plan-G and FSX?

Kind of grasping at straws here.

John

just out of interest, are these plans the originals you saved or are they one you have exported so they go in to the FSX GPS? I believe they save in a different format and possibly location...

Wayne

just out of interest, are these plans the originals you saved or are they one you have exported so they go in to the FSX GPS? I believe they save in a different format and possibly location...

Wayne

Tried both ways and I do not get the usual windows save dialogue box. It's not that it won't save - it's the fact it can't even get that far to even be able to try :) Without the dialogue box it's pretty limited hehe.

No idea what could do this.. But it most be something local on your end because I can run that version of Plan-G without issues on Windows 7 64-bit.

It's most likely not the file path settings though, I have a copy installed on my laptop, that does not have FSX installed, and I can run it just fine there as well even with all the settings under the "Locations" tab empty.

Edit: Give Tim a shout over on the Plan-G forum (http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/forum/index.php), even though he lurks around here it feels more appropriate to take the support questions over there so other Plan-G users can benefit from the answers.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens is **on some PCs** the dialog opens but immediately gets a cancel message and closes again. It happens so fast the dialog never even gets the chance to draw. Why? Not a clue. I've searched the Internet and found a bunch of other developers experiencing the same issue, but no answers. Or at least no answers that work.

Most likely it's a DotNet issue, but I can't be more specific than that.

Ah ok no problem! I still love the tool and use it for pretty much all my vatsim vfr flights. It just means I have to load the plan every time but a small price to pay for such a great piece of software :)

If you're using an OS later than XP, there's a beta in the thread stickied at the top of my support forum (it's an X-Plane thread, but the beta will work for anyone). That has a work around which saves a temporary version of the plan before attempting to open the export dialog.

It's not ideal, but its's better than a poke with a stick, and it does get a copy of the plan on disc. You have until you try another export, or quit Plan-G to rename/move it.