VATSIM first attempt at circuit

Something a little different but here is my mapping of my first ever VATSIM circuit :) I got clearance to turn right circuits but went left and corrected hehe - oops! I know a lot of people will look at this and think so what, but please try and remember when you was a nooby on VATSIM ;) Currently only flying VFR and getting to grips with that; made a few friends along the way too which helps as there is not a lot of actual material regarding chatter - only descriptions on what should be said and things like that. Steep learning curve but fun!

2015-06-30%2021_08_48-Plan-G3%20v%203.1.

Nice work Jim. I've been meaning to give VATSIM a try, but my local airport is usually only manned on weeknights and I can't seem to find the time then  :(

Nice work Jim. I've been meaning to give VATSIM a try, but my local airport is usually only manned on weeknights and I can't seem to find the time then :(

Feeling that pain mate - my local is East Midlands and not manned to often. Ive been learning using Manchester and Glasgow - these two are always manned hehe - you can even get the free uk2000 versions of both and at least it looks a little shinier :)

One thing nice about Vatsim is that the ATC folks are pretty nice if you take it seriously. It can be nerve wracking at first but as with anything practice makes perfect. :D

I give you a ton of pats on the back Jim, I still haven't gotten up the nerve to do it yet. :thum: :thum: :hat:

I honestly thought everyone here flew vatsim - its not that bad in VFR just avoid class A airspace and radio if you end up in any other airspace or wish to go to an airport.

Sound like I know what I'm talking about but I'm still learning and still have to attempt an entry into circuit.

You should all give it a whirl :)

Very good Jim. Good on you for taking the plunge and having a go. Like it seems many others I've never plucked up the courage enough to overcome the nerves/apprehension and/or the worry about messing everything up.

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough, well done mate  :hat:

Does using VATSIM mean you are talking to controllers as opposed to tapping numbers? Never looked into seems a bit of a step into the unknown for me......can anyone join or do you have to show a particular level of skill like an assessment, sorry for daft questions..

Wayne

Does using VATSIM mean you are talking to controllers as opposed to tapping numbers? Never looked into seems a bit of a step into the unknown for me......can anyone join or do you have to show a particular level of skill like an assessment, sorry for daft questions..

Wayne

Never a daft question mate - I had the same questions when I first heard about it. So ask away :)

Yes - just like us pilots who fly for fun; there exists these other species of people who want to control traffic :) So they choose an aerodrome or airspace and sign in. They can be ground, tower, approach, center - each with their own responsibilities.

You can connect to the network using a piece of software as a pilot - I use vPilot but they all do pretty much the same thing.

Once connected you tune your radio to the real world frequency for a controller and listen in :)

Anyone can join but you do need a basic understanding before you go flying. What I did was park plane at Glasgow or Manchester in GA parking then connect - sit there listening and getting a feel for what is going on. Google vatsim and look at the pilot resource section - very handy to find out rules and stuff. Looks worse than what it actually is tbh.

I tried it got scared and bottled it - but now I'm so glad I tried again and after a few sessions it's not all that scary.

If you want to give it a try Wain then give me a PM and I might be able to set something up?

At first it's scary but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

Thanks Jim....I am away now with family for a few days so will give it a google when I get home....

Wayne

Cool no worries! Drop me a message if you need help there's a lot to take in at first.

Enjoy your trip!